PDA

View Full Version : NPC Flavors Extension

Pages : [1] 2

Tideturner
May 21st, 2016, 11:52
NPC Flavors
This is an extension that adds flavors to the name of NPCs that are added to the combat tracker through encounters. It replaces the numbering (if enabled) FG normally puts at the end of the NPC name.
This flavor is only applied to a certain percent of the added NPCs. You can set that percentage in the options panel. If no flavor is applied to the NPC, the numbering is not replaced.

Version 1.11 (Pleasantly slouched)
Tested with FGU 4.3.2
- Fixed 2E not being flavored
- Added Swade / Pathfinder for Savage Worlds support

You can get the extension through Forge here:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/290/view

Or download it from here if you'd rather:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/image.php?u=33650&dateline=1464037930
Tideturner says:
Download 1.11: 55504

Example:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21396&d=1510234966

Unidentified names:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24427&stc=1&d=1535035893

Older

Version 1.10 (Powerful giggle)
Tested with FGU 4.2.2
- Fixed a bug that prevented flavoring NPC's after changes in the CoreRPG based rulesets

Special thanks to bmos (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60308-bmos-extensions) for help with this one.

Version 1.9 (Odor-resistant turban)
Tested with FGU 4.0.10 / FGC 3.3.14
- Now supports NPC type data for 5E, 2E and PF1 - All other CoreRPG rulesets use "humanoid" as type for determining flavor.
- Fixed a bug where settings would incorrectly show flavor percent as 10%

Version 1.8 (Geometric pants)
Tested with FG 3.3.10
- Changed how the extension hooks into FG. This should make it compatible with most CoreRPG rulesets and other extensions that does stuff to the combat tracker.

Version 1.5 (Infected head)
Tested with FG 3.3.7 (version 1.4 still works if you do not feel like updating)
- Added more build type suffixes (pre. was a lot of fat or thin NPC's, now they can be "strangely spherical" which is, I dare say, a lot more sexy)
- Added the NPC name itself when choosing NPC type for flavor. For now it's just zombies (since I'm running ToA) being able to wear clothes and have hair, behavior, body parts and build. (before zombies were just "undead" which did not get flavored)
- Ran a spellchecker on the data files, hopefully most words are now correct. If not feel free to point at me and tell me I'm very handsome but a bad speller.

Version 1.4 (Idiotic footwork)
This version is campatible with FG 3.3.6 Non identified state of NPCs
There's also a new setting to change the default "Unknown Creature" when an NPC is in the unidentified state.
- "Default" - uses FG's own string (Unknown Creature)
- "Unknown" - uses "Unknown" for all non id NPCs
- "Unknow [type]" - replaces the non id name with f.ex. "Unknow undead" or "Unknown beast"
- "[type]" - replaces the non id name with just the type of NPC. f.ex. "Humanoid" or "Dragon"
- "Arrrgh Monster" - replaces the non id name with just... you know, I'm not sure this is going to be used... but the non id name get's replaced by "Arrrgh Monster"... I dunno... perhaps for those nervous types of adventurers? No shame in fleeing really. Gotta live to"fight" another day, right?

Even older
I have updated the addon to v1.2.

The extension should now be compatible with most other extensions that works on the combat tracker. Not a guarantee though. (For info: I now use addBattle instead of addNPC)

I have added a lot of NPC types as being valid for certain flavors. You can now encounter this scary fellow: Vampire (Bouncy lip hair)

A few notes on that though:
I have only included NPC types from the DMG. No supplements.

Not all NPC types get flavors, but I tried to include a lot where it made just remotely sense with the flavor types the extension can currently construct.

Current flavor sets:
- clothing (dapper baret)
- bodyparts (tattooed shoulders)
- hair and beards (mangled pencil moustache)
- build (noticeably short)
- behavior (bitter scream)
- fur (unmanageable fuzz)
- characteristic (broken nose)

If you see a flavor that is combination that is too out there, or an NPC with a flavor that really doesn't make sense, please let me know.
If you have any additions to that, or suggestions for making the extension more fun / better to use, don't hesitate to say so :)

And if you're interested you can find the source for the extension here: https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/

Specifically this file is used for constructing the flavors themselves:
https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/blob/master/scripts/npc_flavors_data.lua

And this file is used for determining which flavors are assigned to which NPC type:
https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/blob/master/scripts/npc_flavors_by_npctypes.lua

Download, place in extension folder and enable for your campaign.

You can turn it on and off in the options menu.
There you can also increase or decrease the chance an NPC is created with a flavor.
And lastly you can also turn the flavors by type of. If you do that all NPCs will be treated as the "humanoid" type.

Edit 2018-02-06: v1.3 (Adjustable cardigan) - Compatible with FG v3.3.4
Edit 2018-08-23: v1.4 (Idiotic footwork) - Compatible with FG v3.3.6
Edit 2018-12-20: v1.5 (Infected head) - Compatible with FG v3.3.7

------------------
Original message:
Hi,

I run a campaign with 7 players. I often scale up encounters by adding NPCs and in general we like big fights with many actors.

Those fights often slow down though, because of me losing track and being overwhelmed by the info in the combat tracker :)

We were talking about this in our group, and one of the guys suggested it would be cool if the NPCs also had random names. Like "Thug 1 (Brian)", "Thug 2 (Ann)", "Beholder 8 (Horatius)"
Or perhaps even better distinctive features instead of numbering. "Thug (Torn bandana)", "Thug (Scarred hand)", "Beholder 8 (Bad breath)"

Is this something that is possible to make as an extension?

Also doing big fights very often leads to me losing track of who (of the NPCs) are doing what.
And if the tokens are on a white background, I often have a hard time finding them on the map, because the active token outline is also white.

Is it possible to change the color of the token outline somehow? Perhaps through an extension as well?

Regards,
Tideturner

Zacchaeus
May 21st, 2016, 12:15
I don't know if having a random name or colour is possible. When you set up an encounter you can give each NPC an individual name which is a bit long winded since you have to do it one at a time but it might work for you. (Drag one NPC into the encounter - rename it it the encounter - drag next one in and repeat).

To find out where an NPC is on the map repeatedly click the small eye icon next to it and it will flash on and off which will give you a more visual clue as to where it is.

Trenloe
May 21st, 2016, 17:46
Clicking the visibility button is a trick I use a lot. Another that works well if the map has been zoomed in (i.e. the map can pan within the window) is to double click on the token of the active entry in the combat tracker and the map will centre on that token.

Re your question regarding names - doing them in an encounter previously is a good way too. Or, if you want to get into coding, it should be possible to write an extension that does random names. Ardem has written a Random extension that includes names: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17072-Random-Extension You could look into using the random name portion of that extension - but please ask his permission to use his code etc. if you plan to make any resulting extension public (which would be nice).

Tideturner
May 21st, 2016, 20:13
Thanks both of you for the visibility flashing suggestion. I never even considered that :)

I've been looking at the core and 5e rulesets and I think perhaps the name / feature part can be done, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll take that to The Workshop forum.
And yes, if I find I can make the extension, I'll make it public :)

Regards,
Tideturner

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 01:05
I no longer reccomend turning the icon visibility on/off because it now clears any targetting that is on that creature.
I suggest you scale it up/down to identify it.

In relation to the extension - I think it should be possible but it probably wont work as you expect - it will be great having Thug (red bandanna), Thug (green shirt) but it wont work as well on Giant Beetle (green shirt) or Grey Ooze (red bandanna)....

Andraax
May 22nd, 2016, 03:26
I no longer reccomend turning the icon visibility on/off because it now clears any targetting that is on that creature.

If you click on the token in the CT a few times, it flashes the highlight circle on and off around the token on the map (and also makes the token the center, or as close as possible to the center, of the displayed the map, in case it's off-screen).

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 03:43
Ok - there are three good tips that may suit your style of play:

Show/Hide the token from the CT (this will clear targetting though)
Scroll wheel over the token in the CT to increase/decrease the scaling
Double click on the token in the CT and the map will attempt to centre on the token (it often cant centre because of the map size vs window size but it will still help on those maps) and it will show/hide the targetting circle on the token

Zacchaeus
May 22nd, 2016, 09:06

In relation to the extension - I think it should be possible but it probably wont work as you expect - it will be great having Thug (red bandanna), Thug (green shirt) but it wont work as well on Giant Beetle (green shirt) or Grey Ooze (red bandanna)....

Indeed your biggest problem is going to be coming up with the thousands of random names. For example with 6 Thugs I reckon you're going to need 600 names just for that possibility and to have a good chance that there won't be a repetition. And as damned points out virtually every creature type is also going to need hundreds of names.

Tideturner
May 22nd, 2016, 10:40

Well I for one wouldn't mind fighting a beetle that is wearing a green shirt. Probably stole it somewhere. Thieving little critters :)

But you're right of course. I'd have to check for type and limit this to selected types. At least to begin with.

Indeed your biggest problem is going to be coming up with the thousands of random names. For example with 6 Thugs I reckon you're going to need 600 names just for that possibility and to have a good chance that there won't be a repetition. And as damned points out virtually every creature type is also going to need hundreds of names.

As for the names / features themselves... I have no idea yet on how to construct those yet. It was just a fun thought during a discussion. Perhaps there are resources out the freely available. I'll look into that as I experiment with the extension.

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 11:33
Hi Tideturner the easiest way to build a big number of descriptors is to use two (or three) sets of data so you might have something like this:
set1: ripped, torn, dirty, bright, new, tattered, elegant, loud, shiny, broken, red, brown, blue, black, grey, green,
set2: bandanna, hat, scarf, shirt, cape, cravat, robe, cloak, doublet, jacket, coat, jerkin, eye patch, trousers, sash, turban, beret, cap, helmet, top hat, oilskin, greatcoat, vest, breeches,

this brief list will give you almost 400 descriptors.

Tideturner
May 22nd, 2016, 16:03
Hehe. Quick and dirty test with your two sets, damned.

Here I'm changing the name before calling the 5E addNPC, and hence before the core addNPC, so the numbering still works for unsupported types (just checking for humanoid).

That also means there could be two two Duergar with elegant eyepatches. Rivals in respectable and sophisticated entrepreneurship :D

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2016, 16:45
Looking good. :)

Tideturner
May 22nd, 2016, 19:24
A few observations I made.

1. The features kind of lose their impact if all of the NPCs have them. Works better if I limit them to 20-40% or some such.

2. If I sometimes add more than one prefix (1-2) it works better. E.g. sometimes torn robe, sometimes shiny blue turban.

3. I need a way to turn the feature on / off on a pr. NPC basis. Don't want my big bad showing up in loud red hat all of a sudden :D
This last one I don't know how to go about yet. I'm thinking of perhaps adding a checkbox, or something like that, to the encounter window besides each NPC. Don't know if that can be done. I'll experiment and take it to The Workshop if I get stomped.

If I want to update a post as I work on this, should I just use this one? Or make a separate post somewhere else?

Regards,
Tideturner

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 23:28
Keep working on this post - you have peoples attention :)
It does look good and I do like the idea of not applying it to everyone - but you would need to apply the random numbering thing to those.
Perhaps approach it at that end - first do a random check and then apply either
1. random number
2. string made from set1+set2
3. string made from set1+set1+set2
You can add a checkbox to encounters - remember that in Encounters your 5 thugs will usually appears as [5] Thugs but your Boss will be [1] Arturio Gallifrey
Hmmm... back on the strings - you wouldnt want Thug (red green eye patch) - or maybe you would? - perhaps split it into a third set
set1 - descriptors
set2 - colours
set3 - clothing
and then do a random check and then apply either
1. random number
2. string made from set1+set3
3. string made from set2+set3
4. string made from set1+set2+set3
Im sure you could keep on extending this to the nth degree :)
5. string made from set4+set5
set4 - mild, heavy, strong, obvious
set5 - limp, stutter, bad breath, scabby sores, acne, scars,

:) the possibilities are endless

regards
damned (obvious scabby sores)

Callum
May 23rd, 2016, 11:59
There are various resources you could look at for inspiration, both online and in print. The Pathfinder GameMastery Guide has a table of NPC physical characterstics on page 95, for example. Or there's this (https://www.biggsbooks.net/lessons-rolltables.html) impressive list of random character generation tables.

LordEntrails
May 23rd, 2016, 19:13
3. I need a way to turn the feature on / off on a pr. NPC basis. Don't want my big bad showing up in loud red hat all of a sudden :D

Nice work. Hope you end up publishing this as it's one I will probably use :)

You could only have it add to the names for multiple instances. i.e. you typically only have one big bad guy so all singles are left without the added descriptors. You could also see if you could add to the DM options to add an option to turn this on or off.

Tideturner
May 23rd, 2016, 22:11
damned, yeah I agree on the numbering. For now I just let FG do its magic for the numbers. If my code decides that the NPC should have a feature, it gets applied after 5E and Core have added the entry to the combat tracker.

As for sets to the Nth degree... hehe, I'll try to limit the complexity as I learn LUA.

I do separate them into types though. Right now I have "clothing" and "bodyparts". Let's see you attack this guy: Thug (beautiful beautiful knees) - can't do it, those knees are just too magnificent :D
And I have a list what features a creature type can use. Right now it's just humanoid that can use both clothing and bodyparts.

There are various resources you could look at for inspiration, both online and in print. The Pathfinder GameMastery Guide has a table of NPC physical characterstics on page 95, for example. Or there's this (https://www.biggsbooks.net/lessons-rolltables.html) impressive list of random character generation tables.

Thank you so much, will take a look. The actual features (and their variety) are definitely what I find the hardest right now.

Nice work. Hope you end up publishing this as it's one I will probably use :)

You could only have it add to the names for multiple instances. i.e. you typically only have one big bad guy so all singles are left without the added descriptors. You could also see if you could add to the DM options to add an option to turn this on or off.

Yes, good idea with the multiple instances. Much better than a set of checkboxes in the encounter window. And it's consistent with how FG does the numbering already.
I have done it that way now.

Also, thank you for the feedback guys. It's very encouraging :)

We have our weekly session this wednesday. I'll use it then to see how it works out.

damned
May 24th, 2016, 05:02
We have our weekly session this wednesday. I'll use it then to see how it works out.

I have a feeling that the first time Thug (beautiful beautiful knees) walks on to stage left the players will fall over themselves in joy :)

damned (smelly frilly codpiece)

Tideturner
May 27th, 2016, 17:18
As mentioned, I used this in our session this wednesday.

It worked really well. The players laughed and called out some of the NPCs with flavors that they liked or thought fun.
The players, and I, also got more descriptive with their combat, which was a super cool added bonus.

On my part I had a much easier time keeping track of the NPCs. Even 16 in the tracker at one point. Granted these were weak NPCs (Beastmen from the Thule setting) with only a few actions each.

The bulk of the work now lies in adding flavors and support for more NPC types.

If you're interested, this is what the data file looks like atm.:

Flavors = {
["clothing"] = {
construct = { prefix = { 100, 30 }, color = { 15 }, suffix = { 100 } },
prefix = {
"ripped", "torn", "dirty", "bright", "new", "tattered", "elegant", "loud", "shiny", "broken",
"ugly", "beautiful"
},
color = { "red", "brown", "blue", "black", "grey", "green" },
suffix = {
"bandanna", "hat", "scarf", "shirt", "cape", "cravat", "robe", "cloak", "doublet", "jacket",
"coat", "jerkin", "eye patch", "trousers", "sash", "turban", "beret", "cap", "helmet", "top hat",
"oilskin", "greatcoat", "vest", "breeches"
}
},
["bodyparts"] = {
construct = { prefix = { 100, 30 }, color = { 15 }, suffix = { 100 } },
prefix = {
"dirty", "filthy", "clean", "broken", "wounded", "mangled", "calloused",
"big", "small", "long", "short", "stubby", "dazzling", "enormous", "miniscule",
"tattooed", "painted", "pierced", "swollen", "shrunken", "ugly", "beautiful",
"missing", "withered"
},
color = { "pale", "red", "brown", "blue", "black", "grey", "green" },
suffix = {
"leg", "left leg", "right leg", "legs",
"arm", "left arm", "right arm", "arms",
"finger", "fingers", "middle finger", "thumb", "thumbs",
"knee", "left knee", "right knee", "knees",
"shoulder", "left shoulder", "right shoulder", "shoulders",
"ear", "left ear", "right ear", "ears",
"eye", "left eye", "right eye", "eyes",
"tooth", "teeth",
"torso", "head", "nose"
}
},
["characteristics"] = {
construct = { prefix = { 100 } },
-- These taken from Pathfinder Game Mastery guide (p. 95)
prefix = {
"Sweats a lot", "Giggles", "Hobbles", "Jolly looking", "Cracks knuckles", "Whistles when talking",
"Cross-eyed", "Harelipped", "Rotten teeth", "Generally filthy", "Tattoo", "Many tattoos", "Covered in tattoos",
"Tribal scar on forearm", "Winks a lot", "Hacking cough", "Spits", "Different colored eyes", "Twitches"
}
}
}

FlavorsByType = {
["humanoid"] = {
Flavors.clothing,
Flavors.bodyparts,
Flavors.characteristics
},
["humanoid.gnoll"] = {
Flavors.bodyparts,
Flavors.characteristics
}
}

Each section of the "Flavors" table has a construct key that holds info on how the flavor type should be constructed.

Should you feel an irresistible urge to contribute (hehe, sorry) here's how it works:¨

construct = { prefix = { 100, 30 }, color = { 15 }, suffix = { 100 } }
For the clothing section there's a 100% chance of 1 prefix being used and a 30% chance of 2. There's then a 30% chance a color will be used and last a 100% chance a suffix.

There's then the FlavorsByType table that describe which flavors are supported by which NPC types. So all humanoid types can have flavors from clothing, bodyparts or characteristics. Which of those flavors to use is chosen at random.
The Gnolls have a specific entry here, so they do not use the "humanoid" but the "humanoid.gnoll" instead.

Anyway, I'll get cracking at cleaning up the code this weekend, and adding flavors.

And then I'll release it somehow :D

Regards,
Tideturner

Zacchaeus
May 27th, 2016, 18:03
Looking good, I do think you need to add 'Scottish' into the flavours somewhere though :)

damned
May 28th, 2016, 01:39
Looking good, I do think you need to add 'Scottish' into the flavours somewhere though :)

I thought Scottish was in one of those sets?

Set7: smelly, stinky, malodorous, pungent, Scottish, fetid, pungent, acrid, noxious, rank, musty, pongy, whiffy
Set8: hair, fur, hide, mane, mop, shock, bristles, locks, fuzz, thatch, wool, pelt,

Im really keen to see this extension - and just as keen to see what other interesting sets of descriptors people come up with :)

JohnD
May 28th, 2016, 04:58
Pretty nice.

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2016, 09:00
I thought Scottish was in one of those sets?

Set7: smelly, stinky, malodorous, pungent, Scottish, fetid, pungent, acrid, noxious, rank, musty, pongy, whiffy
Set8: hair, fur, hide, mane, mop, shock, bristles, locks, fuzz, thatch, wool, pelt,

I need to stop baiting the Aussie; he's good!

damned
May 28th, 2016, 09:31
I need to stop baiting the Aussie; he's good!

I shoulda squeezed a kilt and some blue/brass/swollen/wrinkled/sagging/lonely/diseased bal.... well Im sure you know where that was going!

I actually forgot a set in here:

Set7: smelly, stinky, malodorous, pungent, fetid, pungent, acrid, noxious, rank, musty, pongy, whiffy
Set8: flea bitten, flea infested, lousy, lice ridden, mangy, matted, groomed, tangled, braided, knotted,
Set9: hair, fur, hide, mane, mop, shock, bristles, locks, fuzz, thatch, wool, pelt,

damned (malodorous tangled mop)

PS I do think there could be some potential for a few sets of more ribald descriptors!

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2016, 11:26
I agree with damned; this could run and run. I'm watching this one carefully.

Tideturner
May 28th, 2016, 18:20
I've added your "fur" type suggestions damned, thanks a lot :)

I've also added a lot of "behaviour" type adjectives and nouns.

And I've added two options:
- The ability to turn the extension on and off
- The ability to set the chance an NPC gets a flavor. Default 40%, can be set in increments of 10.

And lastly I've uploaded the code to github: https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors
I still need to test more thoroughly, clean up the code and add comments / documentation. But it's a start :)

Here's another screenshot:

damned
May 29th, 2016, 01:01
A solo set
Set10: piercing eyes, glazed eyes, wild eyes, crazed eyes, bloodshot eyes, cross eyed, pointy ears, big ears, torn ear, hairy ears, pierces ears, bushy eyebrows, big nose, flat nose, broken nose, pierced nose, scarred cheek, scarred face, scarred neck, scarred hands, scarred arms, scarred chin,

This is very good fun :)

damned
May 29th, 2016, 02:02
Ahhhh nice work. I just tested it on a bunch of random encounters. Works very nicely sir - and got some very light hearted combinations going on!

Farnaby
May 29th, 2016, 09:55
What would I have to change to get it to run in Pathfinder?

Tideturner
May 29th, 2016, 13:29
Set10: piercing eyes, glazed eyes, wild eyes, crazed eyes, bloodshot eyes, cross eyed, pointy ears, big ears, torn ear, hairy ears, pierces ears, bushy eyebrows, big nose, flat nose, broken nose, pierced nose, scarred cheek, scarred face, scarred neck, scarred hands, scarred arms, scarred chin,

Thanks, I've added those :D

What would I have to change to get it to run in Pathfinder?

Hmm, I redid how the original addNPC was called, and only call it if it's implemented in CombatManager2. So now it seems to work in the CoreRPG, PFRPG and 5E. As I can see PF uses the 3.5E ruleset, so presumably that would work also. I'll test on all the rulesets when I find a bit more time.

Then I just need a way of parsing the NPC type depending on what ruleset is loaded.
I've, for now, added the ability to turn off NPC type checking since it's 5E specific. But that also means you could end up with this bad boy; "Ant, Giant (Nerveous frightened legwork)", hehe :D

Tideturner
November 4th, 2016, 20:12
Hey,

Just poking my head in to say that this is still on my mind :)

As the man says: RL will find a way [to mess with fun]. Deadlines and layoffs making me the sole developer on a large project kinda stunted this one. So, sorry about that. And when those were done 3.2 was a convenient excuse to not do anything until that came out.

Well, 3.2 is here. On just a quick test tonight, the extension seems to still work. I'll do a more thorough test, add some more flavors, run over the different NPC types and create flavor rules for those.
´
And then, I guess, release it. It will probably take me a few weeks, but I'll get there.

It's still rather fun to have "Kobold (Contemplative footwork)" or "Orc (Dazzling moustache)" show up. I had two mobs right next to each other in initiative at one time. One had a beautiful turban, the other had a broken turban. Naturally stealing the beautiful turban became the sole focus of the broken turban's actions. Infighting :)

See you (hopefully) soon,
Tideturner

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 21:18
Just as an FYI (don't know if you've done this or not, or are even aware): here are some recommendations on checking/testing an extension when a new version of FG is released: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions&p=298705&viewfull=1#post298705

Tideturner
November 4th, 2016, 22:07
I had not read that post, so thank you.

Luckily I depend on very little of the core ruleset, a few lines really. And I develop referencing a separate extracted copy of the rulesets, and then have my IDE copy my code to the FG folder when changes are made.
I do not, however, use source control or have version named my files as it is. Think I might do that from now.

And you're right, and I had not thought of this, I should still take 3.1.7 into account. There will be people who have not updated yet.

Kinda looking forward to digging down into the extension development again :)

/Tideturner

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 22:14
There will be people who have not updated yet.
I wasn't actually referring to catering for people still on v3.1.7 (they should just keep the extensions they used before). The mention of v3.1.7 was in reference to comparing v3.1.7 code with v3.2.0 code and see if it had changed - so you'd know if there was any need for a change to the extension code as part of the update to v3.2.0.

damned
November 5th, 2016, 03:20
Im just gonna say - I really enjoy this extension - I use it when I run 5e stuff :)

Gwydion
November 5th, 2016, 13:50
Hey,

Just poking my head in to say that this is still on my mind :)

As the man says: RL will find a way [to mess with fun]. Deadlines and layoffs making me the sole developer on a large project kinda stunted this one. So, sorry about that. And when those were done 3.2 was a convenient excuse to not do anything until that came out.

Well, 3.2 is here. On just a quick test tonight, the extension seems to still work. I'll do a more thorough test, add some more flavors, run over the different NPC types and create flavor rules for those.
´
And then, I guess, release it. It will probably take me a few weeks, but I'll get there.

It's still rather fun to have "Kobold (Contemplative footwork)" or "Orc (Dazzling moustache)" show up. I had two mobs right next to each other in initiative at one time. One had a beautiful turban, the other had a broken turban. Naturally stealing the beautiful turban became the sole focus of the broken turban's actions. Infighting :)

See you (hopefully) soon,
Tideturner

+1 definitely Tideturner. I would definitely use this when you release it. Thanks for the effort!

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2016, 02:49
Yes, I like this one too. Did 3.2 make it possible for NPC to have two names like it does with maps? Haven't had time to play yet, so not sure...

Andraax
November 6th, 2016, 04:09
Yes, I like this one too. Did 3.2 make it possible for NPC to have two names like it does with maps? Haven't had time to play yet, so not sure...

Not any more than before (change the name in the encounter record)...

JimSocks
August 6th, 2017, 03:16
Was this ever released!? I REALLY wanna try this!

Trenloe
August 6th, 2017, 17:14
Was this ever released!? I REALLY wanna try this!
Yes it has been released. See the link in post #26: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31699-Alternative-to-NPC-numbering-in-combat-tracker&p=272053&viewfull=1#post272053

JimSocks
August 7th, 2017, 02:30
Thanks!

That took me a bit to figure out, as I am used to seeing the download here as an attachment, but I got it working, and I added a ton of colors, clothing descriptors, etc.

The attached file replaces the identically named one inside the scripts folder- if anyone cares to have a wider selection of descriptors.

Thanks tideturner- this is really fun!

Tideturner
August 7th, 2017, 10:34
Cool.

Yeah, I never RELEASE released it :)

I think I added a good bunch of pre- and suffixes as well, but never updated the github code.

I haven't been GM'ing our group for a long while but our current adventure is near its end, so I will return to doing so within the next month or two.
Probably a good time pick this up again.

Thank you so much for sharing your additions, I'll make sure it is included.

Xorn
August 7th, 2017, 16:02
Damn it! It's that guy with the dirty scarf again!

dmkevin
October 8th, 2017, 22:21
Is there an extension to download for this? I downloaded a lua file.

Andraax
October 8th, 2017, 23:55
Download the entire github folder and put it into a folder under your extensions folder.

Tideturner
October 9th, 2017, 20:23
Yeah, sorry. Not very install friendly :D

I've now taken the code from github, made it into an .ext file and attached it to this post. Drop it into the extensions folder.

The date for me starting to GM again has been set at Nov 1st, so I'll get some real live test on the latest updates then.
I'm nothing if not timely :D

Regards,
Tideturner (Unusually hairy)

Andraax
October 9th, 2017, 20:40
Yeah, sorry. Not very install friendly :D

Probably would be good to attach it to the first post to make finding it easier...

Tideturner
October 9th, 2017, 21:01
Probably would be good to attach it to the first post to make finding it easier...

Right you are. And so I did :)

Axoid
October 12th, 2017, 11:20
I downloaded the extension, placed it in my extension folder, and set the chance to 100%. But it isn't adding any flavors to the NPC when they get added to the CT. I added some from both an encounter and directly from the NPC list. Am I missing something?

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2017, 11:55
I downloaded the extension, placed it in my extension folder, and set the chance to 100%. But it isn't adding any flavors to the NPC when they get added to the CT. I added some from both an encounter and directly from the NPC list. Am I missing something?

It is working for me. Make sure that the NPC is a humanoid, and that you have turned the option on (it's on by default so I assume you haven't turned it off)

damned
October 12th, 2017, 12:06
I think there has to be at least 2 or 3 mooks of the same kind before it kicks in.

Axoid
October 12th, 2017, 12:07
It is working for me. Make sure that the NPC is a humanoid, and that you have turned the option on (it's on by default so I assume you haven't turned it off)

It's on, and at 100% chance. I filtered NPCs by humanoid and added gnolls, bandits, assassins, goblins, etc. None of them have any flavor text.

Axoid
October 12th, 2017, 12:09
I think there has to be at least 2 or 3 mooks of the same kind before it kicks in.

I added one gnoll, he's named gnoll in the CT. I added a second gnoll, the first becomes gnoll 1 and the second gnoll 2. Adding a 3rd or 4th keeps appending the numbers as it should (I have append turned on).

I also added 4 gnolls at once from a sylvan encounter from the DMG. Same result.

I also turned append off to see if that was affecting it, no change (except all the gnolls are named gnoll).

damned
October 12th, 2017, 12:29
created an encounter with 6 gnolls in one line and dropped them into the CT...
gnolls with malodorous flea infections and minuscule eyes and all sorts of other goodies.

damned
October 12th, 2017, 12:29
download the extension again and make sure you dont have more than one copy somehow, somewhere...
what other extensions do you have running?

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2017, 12:30
Hmm, I'm not sure what the issue is then. Are you using any other extensions? Does it work in a campaign without any extensions.

EDIT: Good grief even the Aussies can ninja me now; must be a timezone thing :)

Axoid
October 12th, 2017, 13:25
I'll turn off all other extensions and if it works then turn them back on one at a time and see which are conflicting.

Axoid
October 13th, 2017, 00:11
So I went through and it's the Item Enhancements extension (AdvancedEffects.ext) that is conflicting. I tried it with other extensions as well as just it with this one and each time it is loaded the names revert to gnoll 1, gnoll 2, etc.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40270-Item-Enhancement-(add-effects-to-items-and-when-they-are-equipped-apply-them)

Not sure why, and not sure which I need more, I like that other extension :)

Thanks,
Don

Axoid
October 13th, 2017, 00:15
I just checked and there was an update to that extension yesterday, but it did not affect this issue.

damned
October 13th, 2017, 00:19
They both make changes to the Combat Tracker and somewhere they are both writing to the same area... You might have to dive in and compare the elements of each. You might try messing with the load order. You might be out of luck.

Axoid
October 13th, 2017, 00:21
They both make changes to the Combat Tracker and somewhere they are both writing to the same area... You might have to dive in and compare the elements of each. You might try messing with the load order. You might be out of luck.

I think out of luck :(

Tideturner
October 13th, 2017, 07:01
I'll have a look at it. The interaction i have with the ruleset code is minimal, so perhaps this is something I can adjust for on my end.

Thanks for tracking down the conflict :)

Tideturner
October 13th, 2017, 14:17
I took a look and I'm not sure I can resolve the conflict as it is now.

I made a post in The Workshop with some thoughts on how I think it can be resolved:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40641-Core-5E-Would-it-be-possible-to-allow-setCustomAddNPC-method-chaining

Would it be possible to get some of you who're obviously cleverer, more experienced and, alas, better geared than me take a look?

I'll keep thinking in the meantime. Perhaps I'll find a useful thought buried somewhere in the old skull :D

/Tideturner

Tideturner
October 30th, 2017, 15:20
I think out of luck :(

So I've changed how the extension hooks into the combat tracker, and it should now play fine with most of the other extensions that hooks into that.

I've downloaded those that even sounded like a combat extension from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions and checked if any of them overwrote the same function (CombatManager.addBattle) and they did not.

I've checked that I don't interfere with Advanced Effects, so you should be able to run both now :)

I haven't updated the main post yet, wanna do a few more test and code polish.

But I'm attaching the extension here so you can see if it works well for you.

Regards,
Tideturner (Show-stopping pants)

Tideturner
November 9th, 2017, 13:50
I have updated the original post with a new version and some more info on the extension.

Have fun :)

/Tideturner

Zuger
November 29th, 2017, 10:26
Hello,

Great job this really add some flavor to the names :)

However I'm interested in having the name fully replaced (as people talked previously).

Example :
Instead of
- Gobelin (smell bad)
- Gobelin (one eyed)
- Gobelin (flat footed)

We could have :
- Rixdxaz
- Vishaz
- Grexmex

I start developing extensions and would like to know if I could fork your on that purpose ?

Tideturner
November 29th, 2017, 14:55
We could have :
- Rixdxaz
- Vishaz
- Grexmex

I start developing extensions and would like to know if I could fork your on that purpose ?

Sounds like a great idea.
And yes, go ahead and fork. Looking forward to see what you come up with :)

Regards,
Tideturner

Tideturner
January 13th, 2018, 02:13
Just tested this with v3.3.4 and it is compatible without changes.

Also changed example image to inline instead of attachment.

And lastly I went to fight off the grim grumplings of the deeps. Didn't succeed in combat, but a lot of 'em should now be better clothed.

(Edit: Zacchaeus informed me that the future is not, as such, set. So I changed v3.4.4 to v3.3.4. I am a bit unhinged in this time stream, so I will trust his superior anchorage)

Smoltok
January 19th, 2018, 23:17
Sorry, But I don't succeed in using this extension.

I try with only this extension and with 100% flavor in option. But it don't add any flavor when I add Goblein in CT....

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2018, 23:55
Sorry, But I don't succeed in using this extension.

I try with only this extension and with 100% flavor in option. But it don't add any flavor when I add Goblein in CT....
Did you put multiple goblins in a single encounter (i.e. quantity 4) and then use the button to add to the CT? I think that's the only way it works, not if you drag goblin or NPC into the CT.

Smoltok
January 20th, 2018, 06:48
Did you put multiple goblins in a single encounter (i.e. quantity 4) and then use the button to add to the CT? I think that's the only way it works, not if you drag goblin or NPC into the CT.

Thanks Lord, you 're right ! It's the only way !

ddavison
April 19th, 2018, 05:21
This is an excellent extension. If you don't mind, I'd like to feature it in a future video.

Tideturner
April 19th, 2018, 12:17
Oh yeah of course that would be great.

Haven't had time to test it with 3.3.5 yet. Will do this weekend.

Also in a session we got a bald flying sword. Very dangerous. And as it turns out, very self-conscious :)

Stormhound
April 19th, 2018, 12:31
The discussion is as entertaining as the extension, and that's saying quite a lot. Looking forward to using this...

Tideturner
April 20th, 2018, 22:34
Got around to checking and playing a session tonight. Nothing I overwrite has been changed in 3.3.5, so the extensions works just fine for the latest release.

Speaking of release... with Flavor by NPC type setting off I got Ghoul (Opaque jockstrap). I'm now questioning everything about myself that I thought I knew.

Andraax
April 20th, 2018, 22:40
Well, at least it was opaque. I would have *hated* to see a ghoul with a *transparent* jockstrap...

Tideturner
April 20th, 2018, 22:51
Hmm, just checked. Transparent isn't even in the extension vocabulary. Translucent is though, so halfway there´:)

I'll rectify that for next release.

I also think I need to do a second pass on NPC types since undead isn't listed as a type with flavor. Probably missed more.

Ckorik
April 21st, 2018, 01:48
Will this work with Pathfinder - or is it 5e only?

Tideturner
April 21st, 2018, 09:29
The extension itself hooks into the CoreRPG, so it should work with Pathfinder. And there is some code to try to determine flavors by NPC type for PF as well.

That said, I do not own much PF content, and do not play it myself, so I've only done some very light testing.

LordEntrails
August 2nd, 2018, 00:50
Anybody try this with 3.3.6 yet? This is one of the extension I use and don't want to update until I know or have time to test. Anyone :) ?

damned
August 2nd, 2018, 04:52
Anybody try this with 3.3.6 yet? This is one of the extension I use and don't want to update until I know or have time to test. Anyone :) ?

I just tested it for you and it looks ok to me.

Tideturner
August 3rd, 2018, 17:57
I know some of the code that I override has been changed, It's related to the new NPC id feature.

I also wanted to update the default "Unidentified Creature" text with some flavor.

So I'm thinking about a setting to choose from one of the following for unidentified mobs:
- "Unidentified Creature" (FG original)
- "Unknown [Type]" (E.g Unknown Humanoid, Unknown Fiend etc.)
- "[Type]" (E.g Humanoid, Fiend etc. - Same as above, but shorter. Yay)
- "Arrrrgh Monster" (I dunno, I might be tired)

Suggestions are welcome :)

Reason for this is the flavors would be added even to the unidentified state, so you could end up with a very long name.

So something like this:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24169&d=1533315088

As you might spot, it's not fully working yet, sorry. I could have worked on it a bit before the release. Unfortunately summer happened.
I'll have it in your hands soon.

LordEntrails
August 3rd, 2018, 18:24
I would use the [type] for unknown NPCs.

Other option I would just keep it short and use "Unknown"

Short is good :)

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2018, 20:46
3 things :)

1) Any chance of having a mod change the name fo this thread to something like "NPC Flavors Extension"?
2) How about a mod adding this to the appropriate sticky thread? I always have trouble finding this one!
3) Tideturner, have you had any chance to update this with the non-ID variations?

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2018, 21:03
3 things :)

2) How about a mod adding this to the appropriate sticky thread? I always have trouble finding this one!

It's already stickied (and has been for a long time), number 5 on the list of 5e extensions. Perhaps some coffee is needed LE? :)

Tideturner
August 23rd, 2018, 16:02
Ok NOW you can look :)

Sorry, was away for a bit.

I've updated the main post with v 1.4 that includes 3.3.6 support and the new Non id's name flavors.

I tried renaming the thread as you suggested LordEntrails, but it didn't work. I think it's a good idea though, so if a mod could that would be most welcome.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2018, 18:55
Ok NOW you can look :)

Sorry, was away for a bit.

I've updated the main post with v 1.4 that includes 3.3.6 support and the new Non id's name flavors.

I tried renaming the thread as you suggested LordEntrails, but it didn't work. I think it's a good idea though, so if a mod could that would be most welcome.
Thanks for updating this. I'm going to add it and use it in my stream (tinyurl.com/UltUM)

GavinRuneblade
August 23rd, 2018, 21:43
A future version that is all serious names only might be helpful, but this looks like a lot of fun as it is. Thanks for making the extension!

damned
August 23rd, 2018, 23:48
A future version that is all serious names only might be helpful, but this looks like a lot of fun as it is. Thanks for making the extension!

You are able to edit the lists and create your own entries.

Tideturner
August 24th, 2018, 15:01

Thanks, glad you like it :)

I wouldn't be opposed to having another dataset that produces "serious" flavors or names.

The problem is with the random generation.

Take this simple example:
Prefix: Plated, Cloth.
Headwear: Helmet, Bonnet.

You end up with Plated Helmet and Cloth Bonnet, both serious or realistic. You could also end up with a Plated Bonnet or a Cloth Helmet, which would be silly.
Not super silly, I know, but a bit because the items have properties not expected of them.

Maintaining lists that make sure the random generation only produced serious outcomes is too daunting for me :)

But I guess having a dataset that only consists of predefined items could work. I.e. not building random attributes, but only selecting randomly from a list of "approved" items.

If you (or anybody else) wanna help generate such a list, I'd gladly include it.
For the types of creatures (serious dragons do not have mullets) you can take a look at this list generated from the DMG: https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/blob/master/build/data/npc-types.lua

/Tideturner

Skellan
November 4th, 2018, 22:42
Ok, so I tried this extension out for a session of the 5e game I am running. I turned it off for the following session and OMG the players were so upset. They made me restart and turn the extension back on. All our encounters now begin with everyone chuckling at the names.

So I have to thank you, Tideturner, for your work on this extension. We love it and it is something I have to use whether I like it or not. :D

Great job!

Stormhound
November 4th, 2018, 23:15
Much the same here. Despite an occasional misspelling, I think my players would revolt if I quit using this.

GavinRuneblade
November 5th, 2018, 01:04
It does spoil the mood in a horror game, but overall it is a great mod.

damned
November 5th, 2018, 01:38
It does spoil the mood in a horror game, but overall it is a great mod.

You can go in and edit the lists - you have to go into the code but its pretty straight forward.
I too love this extension.

Tideturner
November 5th, 2018, 14:22
Ok, so I tried this extension out for a session of the 5e game I am running. I turned it off for the following session and OMG the players were so upset. They made me restart and turn the extension back on. All our encounters now begin with everyone chuckling at the names.

So I have to thank you, Tideturner, for your work on this extension. We love it and it is something I have to use whether I like it or not. :D

Great job!

Haha, thank you so much :)
You obviously have very wise and handsome players.

Stormhound, I'm not a native speaker, but I'll run it through a spellchecker at some point. Thanks for pointing it out.

GavinRuneblade, yeah the extension does lean towards silly as mentioned a few posts back.
I would love to have a "serious" option, but have not come up with a good idea for how to do that yet. Hopefully some day :)

JimSocks
November 5th, 2018, 17:05
I play with all military and vets, who have a very adult sense of humor. After the first trial with this I altered the lists in the script, addingnew categories, maybe a few hundred new descriptions and thus making for possibly thousands of new combinations. Many, many of which, are NSFW- great for grown up chuckleheads.

It’s a fan favorite. Some of the combinations we’ve seen are ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS and are really fun to incorporate into combat descriptions.

A++ on this work good sir.

Skellan
November 5th, 2018, 17:16
oh man, I am loving the idea of a NSFW version

GavinRuneblade
November 6th, 2018, 05:37
You can go in and edit the lists - you have to go into the code but its pretty straight forward.
I too love this extension.

I'm not prepared to go code diving. But my players accept it as it is and we all have fun. That's really how I know it is successful: that so many posts in this thread are saying their tables have fun with the mod.

GavinRuneblade, yeah the extension does lean towards silly as mentioned a few posts back.
I would love to have a "serious" option, but have not come up with a good idea for how to do that yet. Hopefully some day Maybe a toggle in the options menu for set 1/set 2 and have set 2 be the serious ones? I dunno what is easy/hard since the thought of even looking at code makes me nervous about breaking something.

Tideturner
December 20th, 2018, 11:52
I have now tested the extension for the 3.3.7 release.

I have updated the extension with a few more flavors.
I have also spellchecked and hope I've caught the most grievous mistakes. I mean, I hope I've caught all of them, but those grievous ones... oh man they had it coming.
And following a campaign of discontentment, a vote of no confidence, a general strike and one particular instance of an NPC continually poking me and going "hey, hey, hey", I'v allowed zombies to wear clothes, have body parts and other flavors.

Top post updated with download link.

Regards,
Tideturner

(Oh and JimSocks, do feel free to share your edits if you like. Still thinking on how I can get more do a "serious" flavor set and other types)

ddavison
December 20th, 2018, 14:28
The zombies appreciate your efforts.

Good work.

paladiusdarkhelm
December 20th, 2018, 14:44
Can't wait to update! Thank you, Tideturner.

LordEntrails
December 21st, 2018, 00:34
Zombies are people too!#ZombiesMatter

Fenrizwolf
January 13th, 2019, 19:26
For me it does not seem to work.
It shows me all the settings but is still numbering the NPCs like before any idea why?

Tideturner
January 13th, 2019, 19:44
Are you adding the NPCs through an encounter? The extension only works through that.

I did that a good while back so that it would be compatible with most other combat tracker extensions.

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2019, 20:02
Note, it's working for me, I use encounters :)

Fenrizwolf
January 14th, 2019, 09:03
Are you adding the NPCs through an encounter? The extension only works through that.

I did that a good while back so that it would be compatible with most other combat tracker extensions.

Ah that explains it!

Three of Swords
February 5th, 2019, 16:08
Just a note for some users of this extension. I recently decided to try using the this extension and I also use the 5e Combat Enhancer extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47146-5e-Combat-Enhancer-(built-on-retired-GPL-Advanced-Kombat-extension). The two extensions do not play well together when adding NPCs to combat via an Encounter.

The token and combat tracker entry do not appear to be fully linked. Health bars do not appear, NPC Tokens cannot be targeted properly, etc. Not saying either author needs to 'fix this'. Just hoping to save someone else from having to figure out what is going on.

Tideturner
February 5th, 2019, 16:24
Just a note for some users of this extension. I recently decided to try using the this extension and I also use the 5e Combat Enhancer extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47146-5e-Combat-Enhancer-(built-on-retired-GPL-Advanced-Kombat-extension). The two extensions do not play well together when adding NPCs to combat via an Encounter.

The token and combat tracker entry do not appear to be fully linked. Health bars do not appear, NPC Tokens cannot be targeted properly, etc. Not saying either author needs to 'fix this'. Just hoping to save someone else from having to figure out what is going on.

That is correct. As one of the few CT extensions, the combat enhancer also overwrites the code that I do.

I'll see what I can do :)

Tideturner
February 5th, 2019, 17:46
Fortunately the overlapping code that the Combat Enhancer had changed was minimal (but crucial), so I can fairly easily be compatible.

Right now I detect if it is installed and replicate its changes if so. I should probably detect version as well, but for now this'll do.
Guess I'll hear from you soon enough if there's an update to the extension that breaks the compatibility :)

Would somebody be willing to test this both with and without the Combat Enhancer? Seems to work fine for me, but I would like an extra pair of eyes if possible (as in your help, not some weird flavor for my face).

Just remember to test it on a separate test campaign. Don't wanna loose all those meticulously tokens on all those sneaky layers, when you disable the Combat Enhancer. (disclaimer: no clue if it does that, but hey, I get to write a disclaimer. Always wanted to do that)

/Tideturner

Egheal
March 15th, 2019, 13:02
Hi, thanks for this great extension. Just to let you know that it doesn't work with the combat inhancer 1.5 : when using ranged weapon or spell attacks.
here is the script error message :
Script Error: [string "scripts/token_helper.lua"]:37: attempt to index local 'token' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'source between -45 to -135 degrees'
Runtime Notice: s'source between 45 to 135 degrees'
Script Error: [string "scripts/token_helper.lua"]:37: attempt to index local 'token' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'source between -45 to 45 degrees'

Thanks for your hard work

Tideturner
March 15th, 2019, 13:23
Hey Bunnyhunt3r

Thanks for the report. I'll take a look :)

Regards,
Tideturner

Egheal
March 15th, 2019, 13:54
Please note that we can expect a new minor release of the combat enhancer for this week-end. So perhaps wait for it.

Tideturner
March 15th, 2019, 20:22
Hi Bunnyhunt3r,

Assuming here that you're using the 1.6 version of my extension from the post a couple of replies up (#109), and not version 1.5 that is at the top post which is not compatible with the combat enhancer.

So there are no changes from 1.4.2 to 1.5 of combat enhancer in the code where the two extensions overlap. And as such they should work fine together.

I was however able to replicate your error, even with my extension disabled.
Turns out that if you try to do a ranged attack while having an NPC / PC in the combat tracker that does not have a token on the map, that error will trigger.

I'll make a bug report in the combat enhancer thread.

Regards,
Tideturner

Egheal
March 15th, 2019, 21:26
Yes i use your 1.6.
So it is working fine if i put all the tokens on the map, great workaround for this bug, thanks a lot.
It probably will be fixed in the next release of the combat enhancer, i'm sure Styrmir will look at this problem.
regards

LordNova2
June 10th, 2019, 04:23
So my existing campaign (I was DMing) ended, and now I am playing as a player and noticed that I have the ability to change the settings for this extension under the options.27551

Steffen_de_Wolff
July 29th, 2019, 02:19
will this work on the 2e ruleset?

MrDDT
August 8th, 2019, 00:57
Fortunately the overlapping code that the Combat Enhancer had changed was minimal (but crucial), so I can fairly easily be compatible.

Right now I detect if it is installed and replicate its changes if so. I should probably detect version as well, but for now this'll do.
Guess I'll hear from you soon enough if there's an update to the extension that breaks the compatibility :)

Would somebody be willing to test this both with and without the Combat Enhancer? Seems to work fine for me, but I would like an extra pair of eyes if possible (as in your help, not some weird flavor for my face).

Just remember to test it on a separate test campaign. Don't wanna loose all those meticulously tokens on all those sneaky layers, when you disable the Combat Enhancer. (disclaimer: no clue if it does that, but hey, I get to write a disclaimer. Always wanted to do that)

/Tideturner

This Combat Enhancer one works with it, is there a way to get this put on the first post so we can keep track of updates for it? I love this ext, and I love Combat Enhancer ext.

paladiusdarkhelm
October 24th, 2019, 17:51
Hi, Tideturner. Is there a quick way I could modify a local copy of this extension so that I could use it and it would work in another ruleset? I'm wanting to implement it in the 40K Ruleset for Dark Heresy (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40215-40k-Multiset-Ruleset) - likely at 100% for anything I toss into the Combat Tracker as I figure that'd be easiest, if it is possible. I have it in so that it shows up as able to be enabled, but I don't think that ruleset uses types and the like default (5e) Flavors looks for.

Thank you!

LordEntrails
October 24th, 2019, 18:21
want. Can copy and open up any extension. Just rename from .mod to .zip. change the rules tag near the top to what you want.

Expect errors, so open up the console from chat and then work through the errors by updating the code in your extracted copy.

paladiusdarkhelm
October 24th, 2019, 18:47
Thanks, LordEntrails. That's what I did in order to get it loading. Experimenting with it, it just doesn't seem to add the "Flavors" into the names that go into the Combat Tracker when the options for Flavors are set to 100%, so I figured there's something in there looking for some specific 5e type fields. There are no errors to the console.

LordEntrails
October 24th, 2019, 19:01
So then you will have to open up 40k ruleset and reverse what objects/classes are being used to add names to the CT. I would post in the ruleset thread as the Dev or other users familiar with that ruleset might be able to point you to what you would have to use. But I suspect it might not be as easy as you hope!

Tideturner
October 24th, 2019, 19:26
Hey,

I think I removed the 5e restriction early on.

The types are 5E and PF only, for every other ruleset it just treats the NPC as if they are type: humanoid.

I just tested it with the one you mentioned, as well as the new 2E ruleset. And it did not add flavors to anything.

That's out right insulting! Everything should have flavors.

I'll take a look and see if I can find out what's going on.

Tideturner
October 24th, 2019, 20:05
Hey,

Ok, so the 40K ruleset overrides the CoreRPG addBattle that NPC flavors relies on. Since the extension is loaded after the ruleset, it will take over the addBattle and throw an error when adding from an encounter. And stuff like vehicles and ships and what not will not work at all I think.

The override is substantial enough that I can't just make a few modifications to get it to work.

I'll think on how to do this, but nothing I can get done quickly today I'm afraid. I'll see if I can take a look this weekend.

You are of course absolutely welcome to experiment on your own :D

paladiusdarkhelm
October 25th, 2019, 01:39
Wow! Thank you so much for looking into this a bit, Tideturner. I like the extension so much, I wanted to see if it was compatible to breathe some life into the NPC cultists over in my Dark Heresy games :-D

4wire
January 4th, 2020, 16:38
Hey all, I'm seeing a problem with undeads in 5e. Example, I drag 5 pixies and 5 skeletons from the DMG to an encounter. If I send that to the CT only the pixies get the flavor names. That's 100% reproducible. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe that is expected?

Edit: I modified the lua file and now have flavor text. Simply changed "undead.zombie" to "undead".

novluis
March 1st, 2020, 19:11
anyone else having trouble with this? it isnt working on 3.3.9 for me

Dax Doomslayer
March 1st, 2020, 23:20
anyone else having trouble with this? it isnt working on 3.3.9 for me

I'm having the same issue too...I wasn't sure if it was an extension conflict or not and I didn't feel like going through the process of figuring out if this was the case.

Ckorik
March 2nd, 2020, 01:22
Mine was working last session (last Tuesday).

Tideturner
March 2nd, 2020, 08:31
Hmm, as far as I can see no changes to the pieces of the CoreRPG that I overwrite has been changed in 3.3.9. And I do not experience any errors myself.
Do you get any errors in the console?

paladiusdarkhelm and LordEntrails
I took a look some time ago to see if adding this to the 40K was easy. As I remember, it wasn't so I had to rethink a bit. I must admit I kinda forgot to think. An old curse of mine. Not thinking is very alluring.

4wire
Yeah there are tonnes of different undead where the flavors doesn't quite fit so I had, in my laziness, limited it to a few. Bad me. Your workaround is perfectly fine as long as you don't mind a Withered Limb with a well groomed mustache. Then again, I guess an upper lip is a limb? And if it isn't I will be filing an official protest to the limb police!

novluis and Dax Doomslayer
My guess is that it's an extension conflict. If you list your extensions I can see if I can track it down and perhaps compensate.

Ckorik
Things are working well for you? Unacceptable. I'll see if I can introduce some kind of error for you so I can fix it and we can have a laugh about that time the extension didn't work but then it got fixed and phew those were the good old times.

Kind regards,
Tideturner

novluis
March 2nd, 2020, 17:00
Thank you for getting back to us so quickly!
i am using

5e critically awesome one click druid (turned off)
5e language fonts
5e Attunement tracking (turned off)
5e font 14 pt clear font
Coins Weight (Turned off)
Combat enhancer classic (turned off)
core rpg token helper (part of CEC) (turned off)
core rpg table import (turned off)
Enhanced Images (corerpg+)
DOE base extension 3.2.1
DOE Sound extension 4.3.2
DOE weather extension 3.2.1
Window Saver (turned off)
World Builder (turned off)

Thanks in advance!!

also, I did not get any errors I tried adding from the combat tracker, raised percentage chance to 100 percent and still nothing
I had some time and tried to troubleshoot for you to save some of your time. went ahead and unchecked some of these to see if it let it work.

Update:
Okay it seems to be the enhanced images extension giving it issues will try updating extension and see if it solves issue

novluis
March 2nd, 2020, 17:22
Nope, that one seems to be the problem! link below
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)

Tideturner
March 2nd, 2020, 20:04
novluis , yes you're right.

So, inspired by how Enhanced Images takes over adding of battles from the CoreRPG I now do the same... ish.
But instead of rewriting the function I just call the original and then add the flavors as the last thing.

That means as long as NPC flavors is the last extension loaded, the one I call could be the Enhanced Images, and it should be compatible with other extensions doing CT stuff.
I've set the load order to 100, where Enhanced Images has load order 50.

That also means that other CoreRPG rulesets should potentially work now. Just did a super quick test on the 40K ruleset and whaddaya know, it's flavor day in outer space (is 40K even in outer space? Just one more thing for the I have no clue pile)

So attached to this post is NPC flavors v1.7 (Dramatic whiskers)

I'll do some more testing and if it's all good I'll update the top post.

Regards,
Tideturner

novluis
March 2nd, 2020, 23:40
Thank you!! so it is working now, the only thing I noticed is that it is now giving Enhanced Images a bit of an issue where the bottom layer is no longer functioning which removes the ability to mask the maps

Tideturner
March 3rd, 2020, 14:28
Using just the Flavors and Enhanced Images extensions masking seems to work fine.

And I don't think the conflict between the two extensions could have anything to do with the mask. It would either be that no flavors are displayed, or something to do with what layer the tokens are placed on I think. Not entirely sure how Enhanced Images work.

I could be wrong of course, but with the latest version I basically just tell Enhanced Images / CoreRPG to add the encounter to the combat tracker and when that is done I apply the flavors.

Regards,
Tideturner

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2020, 15:35
Thank you!! so it is working now, the only thing I noticed is that it is now giving Enhanced Images a bit of an issue where the bottom layer is no longer functioning which removes the ability to mask the maps
As @Tideturner mentions, there's nothing in the flavors extension that impacts the operation of the image layers. What version of the enhanced images extension are you using (reported in the chat window)? What other extensions are you running? What versions of CoreRPG are you running (shown in the chat window)?

novluis
March 5th, 2020, 05:37
okay so im running,
v2.1.4 for Enhanced images,
NPC flavors 1.7
Core rpg v3.3.10
Core rpg- Token helper v1.1.9 (part of Combat enhancer extension)
table Import ext v1.9
after getting the newest version of enhanced images i got this error

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/updated_imagewindow.lua"]:131: attempt to call field 'onStateChanged' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:67: attempt to call field 'updateDisplay' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:67: attempt to call field 'updateDisplay' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/updated_imagewindow.lua"]:131: attempt to call field 'onStateChanged' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'Opening window combattracker_host with path combattracker'
Runtime Notice: s'Window has closed'

Trenloe
March 5th, 2020, 18:28
okay so im running,
v2.1.4 for Enhanced images,

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/updated_imagewindow.lua"]:131: attempt to call field 'onStateChanged' (a nil value)'
These errors were in Enhanced Images v2.1.3a and fixed (based off my testing) in v2.1.4.

Download the latest (v2.1.5 as of today) and make sure that is the version reported in the chat window.

Ckorik
March 10th, 2020, 04:12
I get the following errors in PFRPG (a core RPG ruleset)

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_npc_flavors.lua"]:101: attempt to concatenate local 'npcTypeWithFlavor' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_npc_flavors.lua"]:101: attempt to concatenate local 'npcTypeWithFlavor' (a nil value)

When adding NPCs to the tracker - the addon worked previously

damned
March 10th, 2020, 04:53
I get the following errors in PFRPG (a core RPG ruleset)

When adding NPCs to the tracker - the addon worked previously

Have you updated this extension to current version?
Have you checked without any other extensions running?

Ckorik
March 10th, 2020, 05:05
Have you updated this extension to current version?
Have you checked without any other extensions running?

Yes, and no. After testing it's another extension - testing to see which one it is now.

damned
March 10th, 2020, 05:13
Combat Enhancer I think...

Ckorik
March 10th, 2020, 05:37
hrmmm this seems to be campaign specific - I loaded every add on (one at a time) into my test campaign and no issues - I validated it was the same list as my active monday night campaign - so then I thought - could it be something specific to the purchased content? I opened the same module - and same encounter - no issues - but I reload my 'live' campaign and error.

/flummoxed.

Tideturner
March 10th, 2020, 08:07
Hi Ckorik,

I do not own any pathfinder content myself, so what is in the extension is based of the basic rules / bestiary.

The error you get is probably to do with the determining the NPC type.

Can I get you to list the type of the NPC(s) that you add?
Do you add them ID'd or not?
Are there any differences in the options between your test campaign and live? Flavors by type? Non id name?

Regards,
Tideturner

Ckorik
March 11th, 2020, 05:29
Ok - Tide after your post I made sure everything was the same - and I found the kicker.

No extensions loaded (only npc flavors).

Add Player to combat tracker - drag encounter to tracker - error - screenshot attached - screenshot shows: load with no mods, combat tracker, options selected (all default) and console error.

If there is anything else I can do to help test and narrow this down - please let me know - it was kind of a bugger to get to the specific conditions for this to happen.

*edit*
One final thing - I tested adding npcs from the npc window - that never produces an error. The error occurs when you drag an encounter to the tracker - or click the down arrow on the encounter to add to the combat window.

damned
March 11th, 2020, 05:43
Does it also do it with "common" types of monsters like goblins and orcs?

Ckorik
March 11th, 2020, 05:51
Does it also do it with "common" types of monsters like goblins and orcs?

Added test encounter with 2 hobgoblins and 1 wolf from self created module - add to tracker button - error
Created test encounter with 1 goblin from PF Bestiary (paid dlc) - click 'add to tracker' button - error.
Created test encounter with 1 orc from PF Bestiary 1 (free player resource module) - click 'add to tracker' button - error.

On each of these if I open the NPC from the encounter and then drag *that* to the tracker - no error - the error comes from dragging the encounter to the tracker - or clicking 'add to combat tracker' button from the encounter window.

Finally - I created a new npc from scratch named test - type humanoid - added to encounter test3 - clicked on 'add to tracker' button - error.

Tideturner
March 11th, 2020, 08:29
Ckorik,

Thank you for the screenshot, that clued me in. And thank you so much for digging in and testing.

Because of the latest change in how I hook in to the CoreRPG I now run over all the combat tracker items instead of just the ones from the encounter.

So the error you're getting is from the PCs having no type, not the NPCs.

I'll get that fixed later today.

Regards,
Tideturner

Tideturner
March 11th, 2020, 18:51
So in both sad and wonderful news, here's a new version that doesn't try to flavor the PCs.
Not trying to insinuate they need it, but still, you know, if I ruled the world... oh well.

So after a short lived 1.7, attached is NPC flavors v1.8 (Geometric pants)

Mind giving it a spin?

Regards,
Tideturner

Ckorik
March 12th, 2020, 02:10
I am happy to report no issues :) I had no idea it was trying to rename the players - that's actually hilarious.

*edit*

BTW - I GM two groups - and both of them find this addon to be the best thing ever - every combat they have to check all the npc's to see what name got added ROFL

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2020, 06:01
FYI, one of my NPC's had the descriptor of "waist slimming jockstrap" tonight.

Always worth a smile.

Tideturner
March 12th, 2020, 10:56
You're unimaginably handsome with all your freedback and what not. Glad it's working.

And thank you for the examples of the flavors. Always a joy to see :D

/Tideturner

Tideturner
March 13th, 2020, 08:23
I have give version 1.8 a promotion and it is now prominently featured in the original post.

It looks so proud. Poor little extension have no clue of the extra workload that entails.

Stay flavored,
Tideturner

Naroe
April 12th, 2020, 12:33
Just found this extension and loaded it up for FGU, Is there a section in your code that overrides the show title in options, I only get title by hovering over token.

Thumb up for this extension. Brilliant

Tideturner
April 13th, 2020, 09:19
Hey Naroe,

I'm afraid not. Just tested and titles showed fine for me, respecting the tooltip/title setting.
Well I say fine but the titles always become super small and hard to read for me. Think there's a trick with releasing token scale and then resizing the tokens to grid size, but it's too much work so I just use tooltips personally.

And thanks :)

Naroe
April 13th, 2020, 11:38
OK maybe im getting an interaction with another extentsion, ill try turning them off and back on one by one

fdputhuff
June 22nd, 2020, 23:04
Will this work in FGU?

Tideturner
June 23rd, 2020, 11:36
Yeah, should work just fine.

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2020, 06:55
Hey Tideturner,
I'm looking at your extension to try and understand how it works. Right now what I'm trying to figure out is the part like;

-- Gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu
["fiend.gnoll"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.clothing,
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.bodyparts,
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.fur,
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.behavior
},

Does this mean that a gnoll will get one of the four sets of modifiers? i.e. it could be clothing or it could be bodyparts or...?

Or, does it mean it gets a modifier from each set? i.e. one clothing, one bodypart, etc?

Tideturner
July 9th, 2020, 07:20
Hey LordEntrails,

It means it gets one of the four.

From the constructFlavors function:

local flavorType = math.random( #NPCFlavorDataNpcTypes.FlavorsByType[npcTypeWithFlavor] );
local table = NPCFlavorDataNpcTypes.FlavorsByType[npcTypeWithFlavor][flavorType];

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2020, 16:30

That's what made sense, but I can't read LUA so didn't want to assume !!

Tideturner
July 9th, 2020, 16:50
Ah, right :)

Of other interest might be this from the npc_flavors_data.lua file

If you f.ex. take the bodyparts section.

["bodyparts"] = {
construct = constructPCS,
prefix = {
"beautiful", "big", "broken", "calloused", "clean", "dazzling", "dirty", "enormous", "filthy", "infected", "long",
"mangled", "miniscule", "missing", "painted", "pierced", "rotten", "scarred", "short", "shrunken", "small",
"smelly", "stubby", "swollen", "tattooed", "ugly", "withered", "wounded"
},
color = tColors,
suffix = {
"arm", "arms", "ear", "ears", "eye", "eyes", "finger", "fingers", "head", "knee", "knees", "left arm", "left ear",
"left eye", "left knee", "left leg", "left shoulder", "leg", "legs", "middle finger", "nose", "right arm",
"right ear", "right eye", "right knee", "right leg", "right shoulder", "shoulder", "shoulders", "teeth", "thumb",
"thumbs", "tooth", "torso"
}
},

It defines prefixes, colors and suffixes to be used. And it tells the function to construct the flavor using "constructPCS" (construct with prefix, color and suffix)
Tt the top of the file you have the construction definition:

local constructPCS = {
{prefix = { 100 }},
{color = { 15 }},
{suffix = { 100 }}
};

This defines that there is a 100% chance to apply a suffix, a 15% chance to apply a color and a 100% chance to apply a suffix.
So most of the time something like "ugly nose"
And sometimes "ugly green nose"

Another of the construction (used in behavior and fur) definitions says:

local constructPS = {
{prefix = { 100, 30 }},
{suffix = { 100 }}
};

This says 100% chance for a prefix, 30% chance for a second prefix and 100% chance for a suffix.
So most of the time "considerate saunter"
And some of the time "considerate self-absorbed saunter"

Just in case you want to mess around with that as well :)

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2020, 17:19
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Why I'm looking is that I'm considering making some changes for my own use. I find that sometimes the 'flavors' are just too long. Not that I have taken note of how often, but of course since I only remember the ones that annoy me... :) So I was considering editing the lists to remove some of the longer elements. Maybe if I mess with percentages that will get me where I want too.

Zygmunt Molotch
September 4th, 2020, 17:13
Hi,

I'm getting the same errors as an earlier poster, latest version of the extension

no extensions, other than the npc flavours, in PFRPG set

I'd love some pointers

only spews errors for monsters which don't seem to have a type in npc_flavours_data.lua

from what I gather it's concatenating the name and type and substring matching, but it doesn't like not finding monsters that have nothing matching after it does that

in my case, magical beasts (spawning 10 x owlbear) (type: N Large magical beast)
and also, animals (spawning monitor lizards) (type: Medium Animal)

in both cases it spawns the first one, then writes the error to console window as it spawns the second, and stops with the rest

in the attempt at a solution I tried to add a new class of npc type in npc_flavors_data.lua (animal), but alas same error when spawning lizards... so that didn't work *shrug*

(no other creatures, no PCs in CT)

Do you have any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Tideturner
September 4th, 2020, 18:52
Hi Zygmunt Molotch,

Thank you for the report.

Yes, it seems the bit that parses the PF types returns nil if it doesn't find a type that it can understand. It is supposed to return whatever is put into the function instead.

If you're comfortable changing the code / running it from an unzipped folder, I think this could possibly be a temporary fix for you:

In npc_flavours_data.lua on line 335, the npcGetType function, change

local _, _, type = s:match( "(.+) (.+) (.+)");
return type;
to

local _, _, type = s:match( "(.+) (.+) (.+)");
if type then
return type;
end

If that does not work, I can have a closer look during this weekend.

With that said, I'll have a new version releasing soon since we've started playing 2E, and I'll start to support flavors by type for that.
So I'll take a look at the code and make sure the type parsing / determination is more robust.

But let me know how it goes. We don't want those monsters destroyed before they make it to the battle, just because they want to be a little extra :D

Regards,
Tideturner

Zygmunt Molotch
September 5th, 2020, 05:09
Hey!

Thanks for the hotfix, and thanks in advance!

that does work, if I replace the line in manager_npc_flavours.lua it bypasses trying to assign them a flavour! and no errors are thrown out

since these are (with the exception of humanoid), the two most common types of monsters (magical beasts and animals)

I've added these two with the
["animal"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.build,
}

Fixed Later edit:

Ok so as I'm editing editing npc_flavors_by_npctypes.lua, I notice weirdly the array has to be alphabetical
so animal must fit below aberration.shapechanger, and before beast

(but I assume this is a weird thing with LUA because it's a fake array and not an object..., so that's easy to bypass, the types must just be in alphabetical order... (I suspect this could be related to color appearing before prefix, in the npc_flavours_data.lua file, whereyou wrote 'to be investigated' though It could not! ))

second thing...

something and I think it's the npcGetType function is not working with uppercase letters, in fact it's likely the fix you suggested, I guess!

something typed as : Medium Animal/Animal, will not register
while medium animal/animal, will register, same for all, Beast vs beat etc

tl;dr animal works, Animal does not

Third thing
npc_flavors_by_npctypes.lua

line 32: ends in ,
line 72: ends in ,
line 81: ends in ,

I don't know if those trailing , are a problem in LUA or not, they might not be!

Tideturner
September 5th, 2020, 07:40
Hi Zygmunt,

Glad the workaround works.

And thank you so much for the code review. I'll make sure to look over all the details you provided.

Weird with the alphabetical order in the array. My LUA knowledge comes solely from whatever this extension demanded of me, so I'm kinda strangely looking forward to investigating that one :D

The npc types used for flavoring comes from 5E, since that was all I had access to at the time I first wrote this. And they looked to be close enough to how PF named their types that PF got supported as well, but from the same set.
In the new upcoming version I'll have separate sections for 5E, PF and 2E.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to look at the code :)

Regards,
Tideturner

Zygmunt Molotch
September 5th, 2020, 08:25
Happy to prod and try to break things!

yeah the alphabetical thing was odd, but when I added animal as a group at the end after undead it did _not_ work

I don't get the regex for stripping upper or lowercase, do you have a suggestion for that bit?

(the second thing)

Tideturner
September 5th, 2020, 08:59
Hi,

If you convert the type to lowercase before the regex, it should work.

Line 323 in manager_npc_flavors.lua

function npcGetType(s)
s = s:lower();

However I just notice that you say the type for the Monitor Lizard is "Medium Animal", Which the regex will not be able to identify as a known type.
I only have the some PFRPG Essentials which say the type is "N Medium animal", and that will get parsed as "animal", since it throws away the first two words.

I might have some old outdated data modules. Can you point me to the ones you use? I'll look into updating the parser code then.

Regards,
Tideturner

Zygmunt Molotch
September 5th, 2020, 09:07
Hi,

If you convert the type to lowercase before the regex, it should work.

Line 323 in manager_npc_flavors.lua

function npcGetType(s)
s = s:lower();

However I just notice that you say the type for the Monitor Lizard is "Medium Animal", Which the regex will not be able to identify as a known type.
I only have the some PFRPG Essentials which say the type is "N Medium animal", and that will get parsed as "animal", since it throws away the first two words.

I might have some old outdated data modules. Can you point me to the ones you use? I'll look into updating the parser code then.

Regards,
Tideturner

actually I just looked, I think it's the problem it's self is the module, that monster was from an old module which is included in FG ,"well met in kith'takharos", and "carnivorous lizard"

regardless with the first fix you suggested, the worst case is now that it generates no 'flavour' and it's cool :D

there's two ways to progress

1- do nothing, that monster is likely ... entered incorrectly, and thus not really 'your' problem :D
2- don't throw away the first two words as they're alignment-size and wont substring match a monster 'type' anyway

HOWEVER

what is strange is it works when it's lower case and there's only 1 word...

I'm going to play some more,... back in a short while

Zygmunt Molotch
September 5th, 2020, 09:12
going to write a new comment, sorry about following one after the other

even if the type is just manually changed to "beast" it works

if it's "Beast" it does not

(I have added beast class in the npc_flavors_by_npctypes.lua file)

I will now try forcing lowercase39086

EDIT/update
ok forcing lower case works for Beast

and Animal, but not for Medium Animal.. hmm

Tideturner
September 5th, 2020, 09:24
Hi,

The alignment and size are the stuff that gets thrown away, since I saw that consistently in the data module I have.
When I get around to updating I'll try other community stuff and see if there are other ways the type is written, so I can detect that.

The parser first looks for "[alignment] [size] [type] ([subtype])" - and throws away alignment + size.
If no match, it looks for "[alignment] [size] [type]" - and again throws away alignment + size.
If no match is found, it just return the "raw" type.

So "beast" would work since that is the raw type, and you have an entry for that.
"Large Animal" would not work since you do not have an entry for "large animal"

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Regards,
Tideturner

Zygmunt Molotch
September 5th, 2020, 09:32
actually, that makes a shocking amount of sense!

thanks for that, I now know what to edit or not edit :D

(and to do a quick visual scan before adding it to an encounter for at least alignment AND size or neither...)

the lower case flooring is good anyway, and the first edit you said really helps quell any error messages, so overall super productive!

thanks!

Tideturner
September 5th, 2020, 09:37
Good to hear.

And please let me know if you run into other quirks or errors :)

Regards,
Tideturner

ZergorX
November 2nd, 2020, 15:08
How difficult would it be to do a similiar extension that could append/prefix a name AND change a monster stat? Ie have a list of names the GM can enter with a stat mod? Like Tough +20% hp, Quick +2 dex, sickly -20% hp.

Asking for a friend...
:p

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2020, 16:43
How difficult would it be to do a similiar extension that could append/prefix a name AND change a monster stat? Ie have a list of names the GM can enter with a stat mod? Like Tough +20% hp, Quick +2 dex, sickly -20% hp.

Asking for a friend...
Since NPC stat blocks don't actually drive actions, this would be pretty hard, if you want it to be 'intelligent'. For instance, a +2 to the STR stat will not change the attack and damage from weapons, it will only give a +1 check/save bonus. Same thing with spell casting abilities, Dex for AC, etc.

damned
November 2nd, 2020, 22:42
I think some of this would be possible,

SmackDaddy
November 2nd, 2020, 23:27
Could someone be able to edit the words used to describe?

damned
November 2nd, 2020, 23:36

Crack the extension open and have a look at the arrays of descriptors.
Extensions are zip files
Use something like 7zip for ease of opening
When you finish changing data zip up the directory contents - not the parent directory - and rename the .zip to .ext

Tideturner
November 3rd, 2020, 15:19
I have not done any UI stuff myself really, so don't know how hard it would be.

Asking for a friend...
Hope you're not too jealous of your friend for coming up with a cool idea :D

Since NPC stat blocks don't actually drive actions, this would be pretty hard, if you want it to be 'intelligent'. For instance, a +2 to the STR stat will not change the attack and damage from weapons, it will only give a +1 check/save bonus. Same thing with spell casting abilities, Dex for AC, etc.
Well perhaps something like Celestian did with weapon effects for 2E and the 5E extension, combined with either generated or user input pre-/suffixes that could then be randomly combined.

Like "Heavily armored dead Goblin"
- Heavily armored; AC: 3
- Dead; Prone, CHA: 10

Hehe :)

/Tideturner

Tideturner
November 3rd, 2020, 15:27

Yes, as Damned mentioned, you'll have to unpack the extension and do your edits in the source files.

From this post on, LordEntrails and I talk a bit about how it works, perhaps that'll help.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31699-NPC-Flavors-Extension&p=524913&viewfull=1#post524913

If that doesn't seem too intimidating, feel free to ask questions as you explore.

But if you're asking if there's an UI to edit all the words and such, I'm sorry but there's not. And I'm afraid that is too big a task for me atm.

/Tideturner

SmackDaddy
November 4th, 2020, 15:00
@Tideturner, thank you very much for the direction! New territory, but definitely time for me to learn how to do something!

Valdemar
November 28th, 2020, 03:50
/Tideturner

Is the current version of this extension compatible with FGU?

LordEntrails
November 28th, 2020, 04:59
Is the current version of this extension compatible with FGU?
I use it. Though I admit I haven't checked to make sure I have the most current version.

damned
November 28th, 2020, 07:37
If the extension doesnt deal with layers and doesnt do anything complex with images then its most likely going to work.
If its not posted in the thread please test it and post the results.
In this case Tideturner has said it is FGU compatible on the previous page.

Ludd_G
November 28th, 2020, 10:22
Hi. I wonder if it would be possible to include an option to keep the NPC ID number as well as have the wonderful flavour text?

Cheers,

Simon

macDsinfo
February 7th, 2021, 17:50
first - many thanks; I love this, and it so much more fun than (dolgrim29)...

question: everytime I start a session and check in preferences, this is at 10%, rather than saving my settings - is this intended?

Zygmunt Molotch
February 8th, 2021, 03:04

question: everytime I start a session and check in preferences, this is at 10%, rather than saving my settings - is this intended?

I'm reliably (by Bmos :p ) told that it's an error somewhere in the code, on an onInit line, although what with CNY I've not had time to check

Maybe Tiderturner could...?

SmackDaddy
February 9th, 2021, 17:22

This happens for me as well - no matter how many times I modify it, it always defaults back to 10% on the next run of FGU

Tideturner
February 9th, 2021, 17:38
Hey,

Thanks for reporting this.

I'll have a look and fix it. Because, let's be honest here, 10% just isn't enough flavor. I think I estimated 40% as the minimum for a consistent flavor burn, but personally prefer cranking it up to at least 60%. I like to feel the grind of those flavor engines.

Probably won't find time before the weekend though, but we'll see.

/Tideturner

Tideturner
February 9th, 2021, 19:12
Hey,

So from what I can tell it's a problem with how the setting value is stored. It was stored as a string in FGC, but a number in FGU. So, I'm guessing, when comparing the stored value with the possible values an exact match is not found and the display defaults to base value (10%).

However, when the extension reads the value it still correct. so if you set it to 50%, there should still be a 50% chance, even though the settings says 10%.

I will of course get that fixed in my code and upload a new version.
I'll also report it in the FGU forum when I've investigated some more, since it might affect other stuff. Or it might be a non issue and just affect me.

For now, consider it just an extra bit of flavor :)

Regards,
Tideturner

charmov
February 10th, 2021, 00:50
New to all this but this is awesome and hilarious. Thanks!

Tideturner
February 12th, 2021, 20:04
Hey,

So I've updated the extension and gotten the bug fixed locally.
I'll release it with the coming FG update, since it a few changes from that impacts the code.

Also in this will be support for 2E NPC types, since that's what my group is playing atm.
I'd like to support more rulesets, but it's not really viable for me to purchase every monster compendium out there and investigate the naming pattern of all those NPC types.

So I've been tinkering a bit. Early stages yet, but thought some of you might have a bit of feedback.
I want to integrate the extension into the encounters, so you manually can set individual flavor percent chances, and what type of flavors can be applied to the different NPC's.

So here's a screenshot of my tinkering. I'm not very far in yet, as I haven't done any of the UI stuff before and don't fully understand it yet. So this will definitely not be in the coming release. But probably in the one after that.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43667&stc=1&d=1613159319

My idea here is that you can set chance at Default (as per general setting), None (don't want you carefully crafted eldritch evil to be Pleasantly shrimpy), or you can set a specific percentage for the individual NPC groups.
The seven checkmarks represents the seven different sets that the extension can build flavors from:

Clothing (dapper baret)
Bodyparts (tattooed shoulders)
Hair (mangled pencil moustache)
Build (noticably short)
Behavior (bitter scream)
Fur (unmanageable fuzz)
Characteristic (broken nose)

Those seven checkmarks will probably be a small picture representing the flavor set, in an off / on state somehow. Hoping one of my graphic enabled friends can find time to help with that :)

Any thoughts on this? Changes? Additions? Good idea? Bad idea?

Regards,
Tideturner

charmov
February 12th, 2021, 20:09
I think it's a good idea though i couldn't help you build it. Another thing i noticed is that the flavor percent resets when the tabletop is closed and later reopened. Otherwise I'm loving it. I'm sure my players will love it. Can't wait to see what you've got coming up!

BaneTBC
February 12th, 2021, 21:25
Sounds like great changes! I always have to look before I actually show names to players or on stream, though. Unfortunately, there's one word in the list that while perfectly fine in itself is.....risky to let someone on a stream state or even people watching, so I have to change it every time it comes up before anyone sees it (hopefully). Otherwise, I love this extension and it really makes my players laugh, scratch their head or rejoice in trying to torture me based on the combination for the name.

Dax Doomslayer
February 12th, 2021, 22:06
This is one of my favorite extensions. We've literally guffawed at some of the names created. I'm a little bummed that it will only fully support 2E moving forward as I play 5E but I totally understand the reasoning. Thanks for giving our group a lot of chuckles!!

Tideturner
February 12th, 2021, 22:26
Hey and thanks,

@charmov
That bug you mention is the exact bug that will be fixed with next release :)

@BaneTBC
In the upcoming FG update there will be a way to read/write XML files to the campaign folder, I think. I'll see if I can use that so you can customize the list of words :) Naughty words or combinations of them can be super fun, but I can understand you wanting to get rid of them if you stream and such.

@Dax Doomslayer
Ah. No 5E isn't going anywhere. Just that 2E NPC types was added on top of that. It also has PF1 types.

/Tideturner

Ludd_G
February 13th, 2021, 10:19
Hi,

I'd love it if the extra granularity of options on the encounter page was additional to the basic percentage set in options rather than replacing it. So if nothing was ticked on the encounter then the default percentage would apply, but for special cases, or when I had time available during prep, I could make some more specific adjustments. I'd struggle to have to go through every encounter in a premade adventure to set stuff up that was until now just activated with a single toggle in 'options'.

I really love this extension, as do my players, and look forward to hopefully continuing to employ it going forwards.

Cheers, and thanks for all your work,

Simon

Tideturner
February 14th, 2021, 09:45
Hi Ludd_G,

Yes I fully agree :)
This would be to adjust the flavors on an encounter or a specific NPC. If left untouched, the default settings will be used.

Regards,
Tideturner

Ludd_G
February 14th, 2021, 14:53
Tip-top! :D

Griogre
February 14th, 2021, 21:28
Hey,

So I've updated the extension and gotten the bug fixed locally.
I'll release it with the coming FG update, since it a few changes from that impacts the code.

Also in this will be support for 2E NPC types, since that's what my group is playing atm.
I'd like to support more rulesets, but it's not really viable for me to purchase every monster compendium out there and investigate the naming pattern of all those NPC types.

So I've been tinkering a bit. Early stages yet, but thought some of you might have a bit of feedback.
I want to integrate the extension into the encounters, so you manually can set individual flavor percent chances, and what type of flavors can be applied to the different NPC's.

So here's a screenshot of my tinkering. I'm not very far in yet, as I haven't done any of the UI stuff before and don't fully understand it yet. So this will definitely not be in the coming release. But probably in the one after that.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43667&stc=1&d=1613159319

My idea here is that you can set chance at Default (as per general setting), None (don't want you carefully crafted eldritch evil to be Pleasantly shrimpy), or you can set a specific percentage for the individual NPC groups.
The seven checkmarks represents the seven different sets that the extension can build flavors from:

Clothing (dapper baret)
Build (noticably short)
Behavior (bitter scream)
Fur (unmanageable fuzz)

Those seven checkmarks will probably be a small picture representing the flavor set, in an off / on state somehow. Hoping one of my graphic enabled friends can find time to help with that :)

Regards,
Tideturner

I like the idea but I think you may be overthinking this? Users should already have the percent setting they want as default, right? So all you really need is a way to turn this off for a Boss. You might just consider one check box to cause an encounter group to have 0 chance of flavor, or you could even just set things to have 0 chance of flavor when an encounter group only has 1 monster.

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2021, 01:35
I like the idea but I think you may be overthinking this? Users should already have the percent setting they want as default, right? So all you really need is a way to turn this off for a Boss. You might just consider one check box to cause an encounter group to have 0 chance of flavor, or you could even just set things to have 0 chance of flavor when an encounter group only has 1 monster.
I tend to agree with this. Myself, except for playing with it, I suspect I would either want a group to have no flavor (boss, solo, etc) default flavor chance, or all flavor (100 percent). More options than that won't hurt, but more than I would see myself using.

Tideturner
February 15th, 2021, 21:30

You might be right. Right now no flavor is applied if there's only one of a type of NPC for that exact reason. I have found myself wishing it flavored some lone NPCs though. Like the Bugbear Chief in the screenshot for example. It's unique in the encounter, but not in the world.

The reason I'm thinking about the ability to set the flavor sets per NPC group is that the extension cannot possibly cover all the different NPC groups. For 5E I've only looked at MM and Tome of Beasts, and from those not even all types are covered. I don't know my monsters well enough for that. So the ability to turn OFF clothing for a beast NPC for instance. Or ON if you're playing a soccer mom suburbia campaign I guess :)

I tend to agree with this. Myself, except for playing with it, I suspect I would either want a group to have no flavor (boss, solo, etc) default flavor chance, or all flavor (100 percent). More options than that won't hurt, but more than I would see myself using.

I like options myself, but am also aware that they clutter the view. Perhaps just a single toggle that goes "Default" > "OFF" > "100%" > "Custom". Where the ability to be super specific would only be shown in the "Custom" state.
That way it wouldn't clutter too much in regular usage, but still provide fine control if needed?

I dunno. I'll consider. Thanks for the input :)

/Tideturner

Azbandar
February 18th, 2021, 00:11
I love the idea of the encounter window!!! I currently have a fight set up with some minor fiend types; imps, hell hounds, barbed devils and dretch. Currently, only the dretch is listed for having flavor but I'd love to not have to have all random things (current settings) for those that don't.

I have no idea if it would be possible, but for those that already have name types, can they come pre-selected, or is that asking for too much. I'm no code person, I just like using them!

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 19th, 2021, 02:04

Clothing (dapper baret)
Build (noticably short)
Behavior (bitter scream)
Fur (unmanageable fuzz)

DEFINITELY looking forward to this. I think it's a great idea and I can't wait to play with it.

Tideturner
March 11th, 2021, 09:28
Hi,

So I was going to upload the bug fix and data for NPC types for a 2E / PF1 build some time ago.
But wouldn't you know it, I got stuck in a remote diner with a bunch of strangers and we had to fight off an alien invasion. Whattayagonnado!?.

With that taken care of, I have now updated the OP with a new version.
In this version:
- Bug fix for the settings displaying 10% flavor chance
- Specific NPC type data for 5E, 2E and PF1 - All other CoreRPG derived rulesets use "humanoid" as flavor for all NPCs.

Not in this version:
- That encounter fine control stuff. Haven't had the time to do that yet.

I'm not entirely sure if the extension stopped flavoring when the FG api change update came out a few weeks ago, but if that was the case I am sorry for the late response (blame aliens please, I am entirely innocent).

Stay flavored,
Tideturner

Three of Swords
March 11th, 2021, 16:18
So I was going to upload the bug fix and data for NPC types for a 2E / PF1 build some time ago.
But wouldn't you know it, I got stuck in a remote diner with a bunch of strangers and we had to fight off an alien invasion. Whattayagonnado!?.

The government must be covering it up, cuz otherwise an alien invasion would have been all over the news. I'm glad you made it out alive!

Griogre
March 11th, 2021, 20:47
Did the cows and Elvis make it out, too? :/

Tideturner
March 12th, 2021, 12:14
The government must be covering it up, cuz otherwise an alien invasion would have been all over the news. I'm glad you made it out alive!
Right... the government. Of course. Because we won.

Did the cows and Elvis make it out, too? :/
In a way *picks teeth*

JohnQPublic
May 1st, 2021, 04:52
We've run into a strange issue. We have all sorts of problems targeting (map and combat tracker), unless we remove the parenthesis from all the names. I'm going to start the testing to see which combination of extensions is causing it but I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option to remove the parenthesis and/or replace them with some other character?

Drowbe
October 12th, 2021, 19:53
Will this be moving into Forge?

Tideturner
October 13th, 2021, 08:36
Will this be moving into Forge?

I registered with Forge some time ago, but never got around to uploading. I think I might have developed a slight allergic reaction to effort.

But yes, I'll get it done one of these days.

Zygmunt Molotch
October 13th, 2021, 12:31
perhaps some suggestions for the PFRPG npctypes

monstrosity isnt a type

generally

there are https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/Creature-types/#Types these

some of those in npc_flavours_by_npctypes.lua under PFRPG wont register/dont exist

on my local copy I just replaced that PFRPG section with

["aberration"] = {
},
["animal"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.behavior,
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.bodyparts
},
["beast"] = {
},
["construct"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.build
},
["dragon"] = {
},
["elemental"] = {
},
["fey"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.hair,
},
["humanoid"] = {
},
["ooze"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.ooze
},
["outsider"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.characteristic,
},
["plant"] = {
NPCFlavorData.Flavors.build
},
["undead"] = {
},
["vermin"] = {
}

and added a NPCFlavorData.Flavors.ooze in the other file :D

if you do host it on Forge, would you consider it not being in the vault, so users can add/edit these types and add extra descriptors in the npc_flavors_strings.xml?

I spent a while adding more to my local copy so we dont always see repeats :D

Tideturner
October 13th, 2021, 13:19
Hi Zygmunt,

monstrosity isnt a type

generally

there are https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/Creature-types/#Types these

some of those in npc_flavours_by_npctypes.lua under PFRPG wont register/dont exist
You're right. It's a 5E type, thanks.

In the current development version I did a second pass on types, and will have this fixed.

and added a NPCFlavorData.Flavors.ooze in the other file :D
Mind sharing? I'll happily add to the sets and types.

if you do host it on Forge, would you consider it not being in the vault, so users can add/edit these types and add extra descriptors in the npc_flavors_strings.xml?

I spent a while adding more to my local copy so we dont always see repeats :D
Yes, absolutely. This will be a data folder extension.

I've gone and done the description and uploaded the current 1.9 version. Waiting for approval now.

But in the in development 1.10 I'm experimenting with the new save/loading of text files and XML parsing.
The thought is to make it easier to add/remove specific words and such without having to extract and repackage the extension.

Zygmunt Molotch
October 13th, 2021, 13:46
just something to more fit an ooze :D

local constructPS3 = {
{prefix = { 30 }},
{suffix = { 100 }}
};

["ooze"] = {
construct = constructPS3,
color = tColors,
prefix = {"bold and", "chunky and", "cold and", "damp and", "dirty and", "fast and", "fresh and", "lethargic and", "sluggish and", "speedy and", "warm and", "wet and", "wild and"
},
suffix = {"slimy", "slithering", "slow", "stinking", "flourescent", "flourescing", "pallid", "putrid", "glistening", "dripping", "wet", "gushing","moist","discharging","seeping","flowing","trickling","dribbling","dripping","exuding","emitting","noxious","slushing","exudating","leeching","transuding","leaching","secreting"
}
},

in npc_flavours_data.lua

Tideturner
October 13th, 2021, 13:56
Hi Zygmunt,

Super, thank you. I'll add that in the next release :)

bmos
October 13th, 2021, 14:01
suffix = {"slimy", "slithering", "slow", "stinking", "flourescent", "flourescing", "pallid", "putrid", "glistening", "dripping", "wet", "gushing","moist","discharging","seeping","flowing ","trickling","dribbling","dripping","exuding","em itting","noxious","slushing","exudating","leeching ","transuding","leaching","secreting"

these are so awesome :D

Tideturner
October 13th, 2021, 16:39
Hey,

So that went quick enough.

The extension is now live on the forge.

Don't know when the next version is coming.
I'm rewriting most of it since I'll be adding some (optional) UI and stuff. And also I need to make it easier for me to understand what I previously coded :)

/Tideturner

macDsinfo
October 17th, 2021, 22:18
I love this ext, and it comes in so very handy in 5e - is there any way to get this to work with savage worlds? thx, in advance.

Tideturner
October 18th, 2021, 12:46
Hi,

Have you tried to see if it works? Though it started out as a 5E only extension I re-did it some time ago to be CoreRPG compatible.

That said, I do not own the Savage Worlds ruleset myself, so I have not tested it with it.

/Tideturner

macDsinfo
October 18th, 2021, 21:25
Hi,

Have you tried to see if it works? Though it started out as a 5E only extension I re-did it some time ago to be CoreRPG compatible.

That said, I do not own the Savage Worlds ruleset myself, so I have not tested it with it.

/Tideturnerthank you so much for the reply. yes, I did try, and it doesn’t work. Actually, I am trying with pathfinder for savage worlds, but it doesn’t work in either one…

Tideturner
October 19th, 2021, 15:46
thank you so much for the reply. yes, I did try, and it doesn’t work. Actually, I am trying with pathfinder for savage worlds, but it doesn’t work in either one…

Ah ok, sorry. The ruleset probably deviates from core in how it adds encounters/npcs to the combat tracker. I know 2E does so there's a special case for that.

Could you link to the store products that would be needed? Can't promise anything, but if it's not too expensive I might look into it.

/Tideturner

macDsinfo
October 20th, 2021, 00:07
Thanks so much for looking into this…

SWPF ruleshttps://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=S2P11501

SWPF bestiary

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=S2P11502

Ah ok, sorry. The ruleset probably deviates from core in how it adds encounters/npcs to the combat tracker. I know 2E does so there's a special case for that.

Could you link to the store products that would be needed? Can't promise anything, but if it's not too expensive I might look into it.

/Tideturner

Trenloe
October 20th, 2021, 13:31
You'll probably find that basing changes on the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE) will cover the Savage Pathfinder side too. The SWADE ruleset is $9.99: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PEGFGSWADE

Tideturner
October 20th, 2021, 15:07
Thanks both of you.

I've bought SWADE now to take a look. Unfortunately not just a quick fix, so no update to the current version on forge.

However it doesn't seem to be a complicated fix either. I just have to change some assumptions I originally made. And since I've now bought the ruleset, and I'm reworking the extension anyway, I'll get support in for SWADE. Then we can test on Savage Worlds PF after that.

/Tideturner

Oh and also Trenloe, since you're watching. Can this thread be moved to the Armory > Extensions forum? Since I marked it as compatible with multiple rulesets I think it might be time I'm scared I don't want to leave please hold me...

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2021, 17:21
MOD: Moved. Never hesitate to ask for a thread to be moved. A mod is usually lurking!

Tideturner
October 20th, 2021, 17:29
Thanks, LordEntrails :)

MOD: Moved. Never hesitate to ask for a thread to be moved. A mod is usually lurking!
I feel like this is a gift of immense power, and I shall seize it in a moment of mad, chaotic greed.

I hereby officially request, that all threads be moved to random forums, thanks.

SmackDaddy
October 20th, 2021, 18:47
One of the problems this had in the past, was no matter what I changed the percentage to (default at 40), next launch of the app, it didn't retain my changes. Has this been resolved now that it's on the forge?

Tideturner
October 20th, 2021, 19:05
One of the problems this had in the past, was no matter what I changed the percentage to (default at 40), next launch of the app, it didn't retain my changes. Has this been resolved now that it's on the forge?

Yeah that was fixed some time ago.

macDsinfo
October 22nd, 2021, 00:43
This is wonderful news! Thanks for taking a look…
Thanks both of you.

I've bought SWADE now to take a look. Unfortunately not just a quick fix, so no update to the current version on forge.

However it doesn't seem to be a complicated fix either. I just have to change some assumptions I originally made. And since I've now bought the ruleset, and I'm reworking the extension anyway, I'll get support in for SWADE. Then we can test on Savage Worlds PF after that.

/Tideturner

Oh and also Trenloe, since you're watching. Can this thread be moved to the Armory > Extensions forum? Since I marked it as compatible with multiple rulesets I think it might be time I'm scared I don't want to leave please hold me...

Ghengis
November 2nd, 2021, 20:18
Tried dropping the extension into my extension folder, and rebooting FGU. Can't find a field/place in Options where "You can set that percentage in the options panel." How do we enable this feature?

Thanks,

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2021, 20:51
Tried dropping the extension into my extension folder, and rebooting FGU. Can't find a field/place in Options where "You can set that percentage in the options panel." How do we enable this feature?
Enable the extension on your load campaign screen. Once the campaign has loaded, go to the campaign options and scroll down to the bottom of the list - you should see the option there. If not, please provide the system log files - compile your logs from within the FG campaign using method 3 detailed here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1242136781/How+to+Compile+Logs#Method-3---Use-Chatbox Then attach the resulting ZIP file to this thread.

Ghengis
November 2nd, 2021, 21:23
Thank you! Sorry for the NEWB question!

charmov
November 2nd, 2021, 22:45

Thanks,

When you start the campaign, activate this extension. If not activated is options won't show in the game menu.

tsornson
December 27th, 2021, 19:58
Is it alright to make feature requests for this extension?

I LOVE using this extension to dedupe a lot of the same creatures on the combat tracker that are the same type, but I've noticed it only detects that flavors need to be applied if there are multiple creatures with the same "name" field specifically, rather than the same Non-ID name if they're not identified. I'm running a module from Paizo where, for excellent game story, each troll has a unique name, but the players obviously don't know what they are. I've set all of these troll's Non-ID to "Ice Troll", but this extension doesn't detect these as being the same because each troll's "name" is already unique.

Would it be possible to augment this extension to detect if the creature's been identified or not and then use the relevant field? Not sure how easy or difficult it would be to tie into that, and it's only a minor inconvenience for me to deal with for the time being (I can add my own flavors to the CT once added).

Potentially another work around, have an option to flavor creatures even if they're the only "unique" ones on the CT, rather than flavoring 2+ of the same type instead.

Regardless, thanks for creating and maintaining the extension :D

MrDDT
December 27th, 2021, 20:00
Oh that would be nice!

devilspork
January 29th, 2022, 22:13
Is there a known incompatibility with Combat Groups by SilentRuin? I'm using both extensions, and while Combat Groups works fine, NPC Flavors does not. The first NPC in a stack pulls a flavorful name, but the rest come into the CombatTracker as "NPC 1", etc. This is in 5e.

MrDDT
January 29th, 2022, 22:33
Is there a known incompatibility with Combat Groups by SilentRuin? I'm using both extensions, and while Combat Groups works fine, NPC Flavors does not. The first NPC in a stack pulls a flavorful name, but the rest come into the CombatTracker as "NPC 1", etc. This is in 5e.

I use Combat Groups all the time not having this issue. What are your settings for flavors?

devilspork
January 30th, 2022, 00:36
40%, On, On, Default. Pretty sure I didn't change any of the settings, so it very well could be user error.

MrDDT
January 30th, 2022, 00:43
That means 40% flavor will be applied.

Try it at 100% see what happens.

macDsinfo
January 31st, 2022, 05:06
just following up with this... and again, many thx for even taking a look...

Thanks both of you.

Tideturner
January 31st, 2022, 15:52
Hi,

Sorry for not being on top of these comments, been away from playing and using FG for a while. But don't worry, it's not my fault. It's yours. So I'm in the clear. Phew.

Would it be possible to augment this extension to detect if the creature's been identified or not and then use the relevant field? Not sure how easy or difficult it would be to tie into that, and it's only a minor inconvenience for me to deal with for the time being (I can add my own flavors to the CT once added).
Not sure how exactly I would do that. The reason the extension doesn't flavor single characters is so your carefully crafted NPC doesn't suddenly show up with a too bold fashion choice.
However, there's already an option to change what the default non id name is, so it's not just "Unidentified Creature". I think that works for all NPCs, not just the flavored ones.

Also with the, hopefully, coming update, you'll be able to override the flavor chance on individual NPC groups in the encounter. So you could set it to 100% if you want some flavor on your Troll :)

Not that I'm aware of, but I have never used it myself. Did you try changing the percent chance as MrDDT suggested?
Or perhaps it's some other scenario? The extension only flavors NPCs if there are two or more of the same type + name in the combat tracker.

just following up with this... and again, many thx for even taking a look...
I was going to update the extension, I swear. But I accidentally ran away with the circus and now they won't let me go because, as it turns out, I'm an excellent lion tamer.
But don't worry. I've started wearing a suit and tie to be an outcast among outcasts. They've already scolded me for breaking the no rules rule. I expect to be kicked out soon.

(Also, we just resumed playing again yesterday, so I'm hoping I'll get back to it soonish? Sorry for being lazy)

/Tideturner

macDsinfo
January 31st, 2022, 18:31
Very cool. Glad all is well with you, Tideturner. Look forward to checking it out when ready… thank you very much…
Hi,

Sorry for not being on top of these comments, been away from playing and using FG for a while. But don't worry, it's not my fault. It's yours. So I'm in the clear. Phew.

Not sure how exactly I would do that. The reason the extension doesn't flavor single characters is so your carefully crafted NPC doesn't suddenly show up with a too bold fashion choice.
However, there's already an option to change what the default non id name is, so it's not just "Unidentified Creature". I think that works for all NPCs, not just the flavored ones.

Also with the, hopefully, coming update, you'll be able to override the flavor chance on individual NPC groups in the encounter. So you could set it to 100% if you want some flavor on your Troll :)

Not that I'm aware of, but I have never used it myself. Did you try changing the percent chance as MrDDT suggested?
Or perhaps it's some other scenario? The extension only flavors NPCs if there are two or more of the same type + name in the combat tracker.

I was going to update the extension, I swear. But I accidentally ran away with the circus and now they won't let me go because, as it turns out, I'm an excellent lion tamer.
But don't worry. I've started wearing a suit and tie to be an outcast among outcasts. They've already scolded me for breaking the no rules rule. I expect to be kicked out soon.

(Also, we just resumed playing again yesterday, so I'm hoping I'll get back to it soonish? Sorry for being lazy)

/Tideturner

VorpalZaddy
March 28th, 2022, 17:19
Hey so I have added this to my campaign and turned it on in the options but I can't see the npc flavors when I add NPCs to the combat tracker. Is there something I am missing... I've turned it on in the options as well....

VorpalZaddy
March 28th, 2022, 17:24
Hey so I have added this to my campaign and turned it on in the options but I can't see the npc flavors when I add NPCs to the combat tracker. Is there something I am missing... I've turned it on in the options as well....

OH! I think it only adds the flvour when there are a group of the same NPC got it, thanks, no it's working fine

damned
March 28th, 2022, 22:14
OH! I think it only adds the flvour when there are a group of the same NPC got it, thanks, no it's working fine

Thats correct - and welcome VorpalZaddy

Lord Skrolk
July 14th, 2022, 20:34
Having Issues after latest FGU update.

Tideturner
July 14th, 2022, 21:20
Having Issues after latest FGU update.

I'm not seeing any issues myself. Only did a quick test in 5E though.
What ruleset, and what issues?

Lord Skrolk
July 15th, 2022, 05:15
I am using the 5E ruleset, seems that a few extensions were affected after the prior update. And there was another update today, so what is happening now, is I set it to 80% Flavor name, and I am still not getting any flavors.

macDsinfo
July 15th, 2022, 19:41
Hey! Hope all is well. Thanks again for this fun ext. Jus checking in to ask how it is going with the the PFSW/SWADE stuff... again, many thanks.

SmackDaddy
July 18th, 2022, 04:17
I am using the 5E ruleset, seems that a few extensions were affected after the prior update. And there was another update today, so what is happening now, is I set it to 80% Flavor name, and I am still not getting any flavors.

Same is happening with me now too....