PDA

View Full Version : Recieving "Runtime Error"

DeadSailor79
May 21st, 2016, 01:04
About 9 out of 10 times that I log into Fantasy Grounds and make adjustments to existing characters or when I make a new character and I try to save the new information I receive the following error: "Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/characters/5E.xml) - Error (13): Permission denied"

I have to exit out of Fantasy grounds completely and restart again (usually multiple times before it will ever save). I Run as Administrator every time.

Could someone please help with this issue? Thank you.

DeadSailor79
May 21st, 2016, 01:07
I forgot to mention, I also run an update every time as well.

damned
May 21st, 2016, 02:04
Stop running as Administrator and fix the permissions on your data folder instead...
Open the FG Data folder and add Users or Everyone and give them Read/Write/Modify/Execute permissions.

DeadSailor79
May 21st, 2016, 02:21
OK, how do I "Open the FG Data folder" and how do I "add Users or Everyone and give them Read/Write/Modify/Execute permissions"?

BTW I was told by pretty much everyone in my FG gaming group (there are 5 of us) to Run as Administrator every time and they do the same thing as well. Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, though honestly I do not know how frequently it happens to others in my group compared to me.

damned
May 21st, 2016, 02:25
On the start screen for FG you will see a fodler icon towards the top right of the screen
this will open you up to your data folder
go up one level and right click your Fantasy Grounds folder and choose Properties -> Security
https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/permissions.gif

DeadSailor79
May 21st, 2016, 02:35
When I open the folder in the top right of the Fantasy Grounds Start screen a window opens that shows a list of different folders such as cache, campaigns, docs, extensions, modules and more. I do not see how to "go up one level and right click your Fantasy Grounds folder" and the only place i see a listing for Properties is in a drop down box (which appears when I click a down arrow icon) in the top right of this same window. I click properties there and nothing happens that I can see.

damned
May 21st, 2016, 02:38
The window that opens is a standard windows explorer window. Use the navigation tools in explorer to go up one level.
When you right click a folder you will see a context menu that includes Properties

DeadSailor79
May 21st, 2016, 03:25
OK, it took some effort (I'm obviously not the most computer literate person) but I think I have all the right permissions now and I have not received the error message again yet. Thank you for all of your time and effort and thank you especially for replying to my posts so quickly. If I experience the issue again (which hopefully it is resolved) I will post again.

Thanks a ton!

damned
May 21st, 2016, 03:27
In most cases this will fix the issue. If it doesnt there is often something wrong with the user profile and you are better served by making a new windows user.
It does sound however like you have got it working. Id test it a couple of times before making lots of changes though... just in case...
Have fun!

Trenloe
May 21st, 2016, 05:22
Further info/background on this issue in this House of Healing sticky thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options

stoicjester
July 26th, 2016, 03:29
This helped my out with my problem. Thanks for the example!

damned
July 26th, 2016, 04:02
Welcome stoicjester