PDA

View Full Version : [Savage Worlds] The Last Parsec- Heart of Darkness (Wednesdays)

Daedalus
May 20th, 2016, 19:56
This is the new thread for my ongoing Savage Worlds Last parsec Game

FG License: Full so players need at least Lite
Game System: Savage Worlds

Time Zone: Eastern Time
Day of week and time: Wednesdays at 8pm EST
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Long Term

Text or Voice: Voice Chat
Voice software used: Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix:50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 4 players Currently, needing one more
Character starting level & equipment: Novice
Character restrictions: Races in the Last Parsec/Science Fiction Companion

Details of your scenario: You are a member of the JumpCorp team that works for the freighter ship "The Black Watch". Lately you have been hired for derelict ship duty and have found yourself in some seriously interesting locations. But you wanted danger, after all that's what you signed up for. You had better be ready for danger and adventure because no matter what you do, it always seems to find you.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1859

Daedalus
May 20th, 2016, 19:57
Just a note to my current players. This is the new thread for the game. I wanted to abandon the other one because it wasn't clear what we were doing and I thought looking for fill in players would be easier if the thread stated what the game was.

Daedalus
May 20th, 2016, 19:57
We are looking for one more player for the Wednesday Night Game. If you are interested please sign up on the calendar:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1859

RespawningPleaseWait
May 20th, 2016, 20:18
And by Thursday, you probably mean Wednesday.

Daedalus
May 20th, 2016, 23:02
And by Thursday, you probably mean Wednesday.

Corrected. Thank you for pointing that out

Daedalus
May 23rd, 2016, 19:23
Just a bump up. We are looking for another player. If you are interested and available please feel free to sign up:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1859
(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1859)

TriOpticon
May 25th, 2016, 13:34
I am planning on being there tonight but I am starting to feel ill so I will let you know if I cannot make it.

Daedalus
May 25th, 2016, 13:45
I am planning on being there tonight but I am starting to feel ill so I will let you know if I cannot make it.

Ok, just let me know. If you are sick, I understand.

- Daedalus

Daedalus
May 25th, 2016, 13:46
Just a reminder: We will be playing tonight. If you are going to be late or not make it, please let me know (people other then TriOpticon who has already let me know he may not make it).

Thank You

Daedalus

TriOpticon
May 25th, 2016, 21:02
Lance is going to have to lay down in the med bay for this mission. He lost his lunch a few minutes ago...

Feel free to bring him on the mission... He likes to shoot things.

Daedalus
May 26th, 2016, 01:02
Lance is going to have to lay down in the med bay for this mission. He lost his lunch a few minutes ago...

Feel free to bring him on the mission... He likes to shoot things.

Ok feel better. We will see you next game

Daedalus
May 26th, 2016, 01:37
We didn't play this week due to not enough players showing up (due to sickness and other things) but we will play next week.

Daedalus
May 26th, 2016, 01:39
We are currently looking for one more player to join the game. If you are interested please let me know.

Thank You

Ryan Wynne

TriOpticon
May 27th, 2016, 11:39
I am better, thanks. Sorry to hear the game did not go. :cry: I will be here next week.

Daedalus
May 27th, 2016, 17:12
I am better, thanks. Sorry to hear the game did not go. :cry: I will be here next week.

No problem. It happens. It will just give me a little more time to polish up what I am going to do and make it better.

Lysander
May 28th, 2016, 23:58
Glad your feeling better, but I'm still not cleaning up the med bay...

Daedalus
May 29th, 2016, 03:06
Glad your feeling better, but I'm still not cleaning up the med bay...

Yeah, neither am I. :)

TriOpticon
May 29th, 2016, 15:21
Surely they have a Roomba that can handle this kind of mess in the future...

GunbunnyFuFu
June 1st, 2016, 04:46
Daedalus...still looking for another player?

Daedalus
June 1st, 2016, 14:08
Daedalus...still looking for another player?

Yep. I saw you signed up and I approved you. Can you have a character ready by tonight? Or do you need a week?

Daedalus
June 1st, 2016, 14:08
Just a reminder: We are playing tonight. If you are going to be late or you cannot make it please let me know.

Thank You

Daedalus

GunbunnyFuFu
June 1st, 2016, 16:51
I may be able to have one ready by tonight. Is there a list of archetypes, or any game supplements that might help with chargen?

Daedalus
June 1st, 2016, 22:07
I may be able to have one ready by tonight. Is there a list of archetypes, or any game supplements that might help with chargen?

I replied to your private message and answered your question.

Daedalus
June 2nd, 2016, 15:02
Fun game last night. After testing some of the things that Fantasy Grounds can do, it will allow me to run games a bit better and make the games even better

TriOpticon
June 3rd, 2016, 11:41
Was quite fun.

Lance is feeling a little nervous, though. A life of crime? He joined JumpCorp to avoid that. Sure, selling some baubles found on a derelict ship is not really a crime...just like going 50 in a 45 parsecs per hour is not really a crime...but B&E...
First chance he gets to be alone with the crew he is going to ask "Are we sure we want to start down this path?"

Daedalus
June 3rd, 2016, 18:48
Was quite fun.

Lance is feeling a little nervous, though. A life of crime? He joined JumpCorp to avoid that. Sure, selling some baubles found on a derelict ship is not really a crime...just like going 50 in a 45 parsecs per hour is not really a crime...but B&E...
First chance he gets to be alone with the crew he is going to ask "Are we sure we want to start down this path?"

Well, I think the life of crime was a one time thing and what they did to get the device back for Ryder would never be authorized or approved by jump corp. It was a crime of chance. So unless the group decides to go that route it wont be an every day thing for them.

RespawningPleaseWait
June 3rd, 2016, 20:18
From Jeff's view, I'd rather avoid this type of thing in the future.
The deal was negotiated without him, but he knew it was shady and went along for the same reason everyone else probably did: We needed the auto-doc.
But let's not kid ourselves.
B&E was the least of the crimes. We committed mass murder.
Jeff fired because the guards were trying to kill, not arrest, his friend. And once the lead starts flying and people start dying, Jeff's playing for keeps.
I wasn't kidding about wanting to burn the place down.
We left alot of evidence behind.
I don't think anyone collected shell casings, and a couple of us left enough blood behind for them to open a blood bank.
We likely made a bunch of other rookie moves.
So it's up to Daedalus how to develop this.
We could easily be hunted by law enforcement, especially if the people we ripped off were wealthy or politically connected.
But if we ripped off crooks, the cops may not care at all. Then again, the crooks might.

I'd rather keep it clean going forward, but we might have some things decided for us.

Lysander
June 4th, 2016, 16:12
I tried to keep it non-lethal, even specifically followed the rules in that regard, but GM insisted I killed someone because I rolled well (grrr...). Even the example under page 74 of rulebook indicates what happens even with serious damage on a non-lethal attack. At that point, it was 'in for a penny in for a pound.' I would have kept it non-lethal until I got seriously wounded since we weren't there to kill people.

Going forward, Durak would be inclined to feel bad, and hopes the reward we get for all of this would be put to good use to balance his ledger of red...

Daedalus
June 4th, 2016, 22:51
I tried to keep it non-lethal, even specifically followed the rules in that regard, but GM insisted I killed someone because I rolled well (grrr...). Even the example under page 74 of rulebook indicates what happens even with serious damage on a non-lethal attack. At that point, it was 'in for a penny in for a pound.' I would have kept it non-lethal until I got seriously wounded since we weren't there to kill people.

Going forward, Durak would be inclined to feel bad, and hopes the reward we get for all of this would be put to good use to balance his ledger of red...

Ok I am going to make a ruling as the GM. I reread the non-lethal damage rule.

We are going to ret-con the attack you did on the guard and you did not kill him, you knocked him out for an hour. That should correct it and Durak can feel better.

Daedalus
June 4th, 2016, 22:59
From Jeff's view, I'd rather avoid this type of thing in the future.
The deal was negotiated without him, but he knew it was shady and went along for the same reason everyone else probably did: We needed the auto-doc.
But let's not kid ourselves.
B&E was the least of the crimes. We committed mass murder.
Jeff fired because the guards were trying to kill, not arrest, his friend. And once the lead starts flying and people start dying, Jeff's playing for keeps.
I wasn't kidding about wanting to burn the place down.
We left alot of evidence behind.
I don't think anyone collected shell casings, and a couple of us left enough blood behind for them to open a blood bank.
We likely made a bunch of other rookie moves.
So it's up to Daedalus how to develop this.
We could easily be hunted by law enforcement, especially if the people we ripped off were wealthy or politically connected.
But if we ripped off crooks, the cops may not care at all. Then again, the crooks might.

I'd rather keep it clean going forward, but we might have some things decided for us.

Things were going fine until Lute was spotted and the guard shot at her. The guard shot at her more because he was startled, and not because he knew what he was shooting out. I will say the people that you stole from did look like crooks and probably stole the device from someone else.

Where we left it you guys were going to head back to the ship to care for the one wounded person left (The new player). What you can do is say that one person and the wounded character goes back to the ship and the rest of you stay back to clean up and dispose of bodies.

It's up to you

Daedalus
June 6th, 2016, 13:51
I have finally come up with a good way to explain how things went the way they did and I will tell you on Wednesday. When I tell you it will all make sense.

TriOpticon
June 6th, 2016, 14:59
A reminder that I will not be there this week due to graduation ceremonies. Feel free to take Lance or leave him on the ship to guard things.

RespawningPleaseWait
June 8th, 2016, 13:04
I'm afraid I won't be able to attend tonight due to illness.
Sorry.

Daedalus
June 8th, 2016, 14:56
Ok, here is what we are going to do. Since two people will be out and I need more time to plan what is going to happen next, we will skip this week and play again next week. I will change the date on the calendar to reflect that we are skipping this week

mac40k
June 8th, 2016, 15:31
I’m not exactly pleased with the way things went down last week either. First of all, Lute being Serran comes from a culture that doesn’t lie (due to prevalence of mind reading) and dishonesty isn’t something she will generally willingly go along with. On top of that, she has the Big Mouth hindrance, which is why she blurted out to Ryder that we were looking to sell items from a derelict ship. When he proposed the job, she was emphatic that we had not taken it, and that we were just going to check the situation out before deciding. I did not plan for her to try to sneak in and make off with the item, rather I was truly having her recon the location, looking for what we were up against with the hope of sneaking back out to converse with the rest of the team before even deciding whether or not to move forward with an attempt to retrieve the device.

When shot at, she froze rather than retaliate as I was still hoping to be able to sneak out without engaging (she doesn’t see herself as a fighter). However, once the rest of the team came in and it turned into a full scale brawl, she went into “team” mode to defend her teammates. As usual, she went for the non-lethal approach of just using Confusion to Shake her opponents and only resorted to using her knife once out of power points, by which point it was clear that they had ended up in a kill or be killed situation. Even after that, she went into search mode at the first opportunity rather than ensuring the building was clear of all opponents as would be tactically more appropriate and had she been able to find it sooner, she would have happily left without engaging further. She rationalized (based on her earlier mind reading) that these were “bad guys” not honest security personnel, off-duty cops, or otherwise legit guards and that the device was likely stolen property to begin with to make herself feel better about the outcome. Without knowing what the device was and whether or not Ryder was the owner or just another criminal anxious to get his hands on it, let alone what he planned to do with it, she was reluctant to go through with the deal. However, after everything that happened, keeping the device and making an enemy of Ryder didn’t seem to be a wise option as she wouldn’t have been able to lie about having the device if confronted anyway. All that being said, she’ll be honest in her report to Jumpcorp and deal with the consequences.

RespawningPleaseWait
June 8th, 2016, 16:15
I just want to be clear that as a player, I'm enjoying the game.
Please don't think that I'm unhappy with it.

My comments were from my character's point of view in being disturbed by the recent turn of events.

Daedalus
June 8th, 2016, 17:58
I just want to be clear that as a player, I'm enjoying the game.
Please don't think that I'm unhappy with it.

My comments were from my character's point of view in being disturbed by the recent turn of events.

I totally understand. And instead of waiting until next week to explain everything, I am going to do a post after this one to explain how everything went the way it did.

Daedalus
June 8th, 2016, 18:09
How things went wrong.

What you guys found out when you got to the Mara Irons (the ship you thought was a different ship) and that was because you were mislead by JumpCorp. Now this wasn't because JumpCorp was being dishonest, it's because JumpCorp was mislead by the people who hired them, causing things to spiral out of control.

Under a normal situation, JumpCorp employees would never get involved in what they got involved with. JumpCorp was hired to salvage important items that the person who hired them claimed to be on the ship. What they didn't realize was that Mal was doing everything illegally and all hell broke lose when you guys arrived and found out things weren't on the up and up.

To make it worse, someone leaked to the authorities that you guys were taking items off the ship. You don't know who but you can take guesses on who was the source behind the link.

This caused you to have to divert, sell the items to a less the reputable person and got you involved in things you wouldn't get involved with.

Needless to say, you will find out JumpCorp did find out about it and is working with the authorities to seek this Mal down. Your records will remain clear and JumpCorp will take a much stronger stance to make sure that jobs like the one that was accepted will not be again in the future.

You can be sure that people lost their jobs for this screw up.

TriOpticon
June 9th, 2016, 12:48
Well that will make Lance feel better.

Where exactly are we right now? Forgive me, but I can't remember if we delivered the device or not.

Daedalus
June 9th, 2016, 13:32
Well that will make Lance feel better.

Where exactly are we right now? Forgive me, but I can't remember if we delivered the device or not.

You guys were just about to leave the base to go back to the ship.

So you guys have to clean up the guards body and you have to do something with the body of the guard Durak knocked out (since I retconned that one) but also have to take care of the one wounded person (the new guy).

Daedalus
June 14th, 2016, 14:02
Just a reminder that we will be playing this week. As always, if you are going to be late or you cannot make it please let me know.

GunbunnyFuFu
June 14th, 2016, 22:43
I will be unable to attend this week due to prior commitments. Assume that Jerrik "Bulletstop" Syn is trying out the new Autodoc....:) Shouldn't be any more issues for me after tomorrow night. I /may/ make it back in time to catch part of the game, but will not know until tomorrow evening.

Chris

RespawningPleaseWait
June 14th, 2016, 23:40
Jeff will attend, but will spend most of the session calibrating the auto-doc, turning dials, pushing buttons, and occasionally re-wiring it while judging success by the volume and pitch of screams coming from the patient.

TriOpticon
June 15th, 2016, 13:24
I will be there tonight.

Just a heads up:
My known nights that I cannot make it, as of now, are: June 29th, July 13th and August 31st.

Lysander
June 15th, 2016, 23:25
I will be attending this evening.

Daedalus
June 16th, 2016, 01:03
I will be unable to attend this week due to prior commitments. Assume that Jerrik "Bulletstop" Syn is trying out the new Autodoc....:) Shouldn't be any more issues for me after tomorrow night. I /may/ make it back in time to catch part of the game, but will not know until tomorrow evening.

Chris

No problem. Your character will be getting the medical attention so he can be 100% again

Daedalus
June 16th, 2016, 17:27
Thanks guys, it was fun. And things seem to be getting more on track with what a JumpCore Employee is supposed to be doing.

TriOpticon
June 16th, 2016, 17:37
Look forward to hearing what happened and joining back next week.

RespawningPleaseWait
June 16th, 2016, 21:08
Well, you see, there was this derelict ship ...

Daedalus
June 16th, 2016, 23:00
Well, you see, there was this derelict ship ...

Hey that's not true! There was no ship this time. I swear mister! It didn't happen!

TriOpticon
June 17th, 2016, 00:47
Well, you see, there was this derelict ship ...Thats funny! :D

Daedalus
June 17th, 2016, 18:51
Thats funny! :D

Except it was a derelict base, that er wasn't derelict. ;)

Lysander
June 18th, 2016, 01:54
Bone spiders... They tickle...

Daedalus
June 20th, 2016, 00:18
Bone spiders... They tickle...

Well for Durak they do. For others, not so much

RespawningPleaseWait
June 21st, 2016, 05:38
Well for Durak they do. For others, not so much

That's why the SOP became:
Step 1: Open Door.
Step 2: Shove Durak through door.
Step 3: Close Door.
Step 4: Wait until he yells that it's clear.
Step 5: Judge difficulty of battle by how much goo is in Durak's fur.

Daedalus
June 21st, 2016, 14:13
That's why the SOP became:
Step 1: Open Door.
Step 2: Shove Durak through door.
Step 3: Close Door.
Step 4: Wait until he yells that it's clear.
Step 5: Judge difficulty of battle by how much goo is in Durak's fur.

Sounds about right

Daedalus
June 21st, 2016, 14:26
Sorry to do this to you, especially at the last minute but I have to cancel this weeks game.

I forgot about a work outing I have to go to and I cannot get out of.

We will play again next week. There shouldn't be any more of these in the near future and it should be clear sailing.

Thank you

- Daedalus

TriOpticon
June 21st, 2016, 19:42
Ah, too bad. Understood, though.

Lysander
June 21st, 2016, 23:25
Well okay then.

Daedalus
June 22nd, 2016, 21:19
Sorry about that guys. We will be back on track starting next week.

Daedalus
June 30th, 2016, 01:10
We are playing tonight. Now that the server is back up you can connect, though it is going very slowly.

BDaniel
June 30th, 2016, 04:57
Thank you all again fro letting me sit in bone spiders ..mehhh. harpooner's well pretty tough slugs.

TriOpticon
July 2nd, 2016, 00:25
I am back in town and will be there next week! Hope everyone survived!

RespawningPleaseWait
July 2nd, 2016, 01:29
I am back in town and will be there next week! Hope everyone survived!
Everyone except all the poor bastards working at Arctic Station Spider Slushee.

Lysander
July 4th, 2016, 22:19
We had to dust off and have the site nuked from orbit. It was the only way to be sure...

So far, we've ransacked 2 derelict ships, rescued a still comatose woman, wiped out a base of morally ambiguous armed guards, and rescued 10% of an artic station egghead compliment.

We are a lock for JumpCorps Troubleshooter Team of the month...

RespawningPleaseWait
July 4th, 2016, 22:51
So far, we've ransacked 2 derelict ships, rescued a still comatose woman, wiped out a base of morally ambiguous armed guards, and rescued 10% of an artic station egghead compliment.

We are a lock for JumpCorps Troubleshooter Team of the month...
You're looking at it all wrong.
So far we've acquired our own sexbot that doubles as an auto-doc, established a fence connection for the sale of illicit goods we accidentally run across, and acquired a fair amount of personal and party wealth.

I'd like to see another troubleshooter team top that!

Daedalus
July 5th, 2016, 16:45
Just a reminder: We will be playing tomorrow night. If you are going to be late or you cannot make it please let me know.

BDaniel
July 7th, 2016, 04:39
Thank you all again for letting me sit in. I will be gone for the next 2 weeks out of town and hope to catch you on the 27th.

TriOpticon
July 7th, 2016, 11:49
Had fun last night.

Just a reminder from my post on June 15th that I will be out on the 13th.

I will be there tonight.

Just a heads up:
My known nights that I cannot make it, as of now, are: June 29th, July 13th and August 31st.

Daedalus
July 13th, 2016, 02:17
Sorry to do this guys, but I have too much going on so I am going to have to cancel the game for this week. I put the 20th (which is next Wednesday) on the Calendar. Please let me know if you can make it.

Thank You

Daedalus
July 16th, 2016, 21:46
Ok guys, here is an update on the game.

We are going to play again on the 20th (this coming Wednesday) and I am planning to finish up the game on the 27th, which will be the last game.

I am at full burnout and I just cannot run the game any longer. I can do the two more sessions but then I need to take a break from GMing for awhile.

I got involved with an in-person AD&D game and I am a player and it's nice to actually get to play and not GM.

Perhaps after the two sessions and down the road when I am rested and ready to run again we will be able to game again.

I want to thank my players for your participation. The games have been very fun and very memorable.

I will see you next week.

GunbunnyFuFu
July 16th, 2016, 21:53
Sorry to hear that Daedalus! I was enjoying the game! That being said, if you all don't mind, I'd LOVE to continue running this. I've never ran a Savage Worlds game/campaign, and I'm still learning the rules, but I'd certainly love to pick up and run something...may need a couple of weeks to get something down. Just let me know.

RespawningPleaseWait
July 16th, 2016, 23:26
Sorry to hear that Daedalus! I was enjoying the game! That being said, if you all don't mind, I'd LOVE to continue running this. I've never ran a Savage Worlds game/campaign, and I'm still learning the rules, but I'd certainly love to pick up and run something...may need a couple of weeks to get something down. Just let me know.

I was actually about to say the same thing.
I've picked up the rules and started creating a scenario.
Was going to bring it up at the next session.
We may take turns or something if people want to.

Daedalus
July 17th, 2016, 00:05

That's something we can discuss at the next game and if the players are OK with it then you can take over. I can send you all of the maps and whatnot I have to keep continuity, or you can start fresh. Whatever works best. As for the couple of weeks, that you have. I still have two sessions left in me.

Daedalus
July 17th, 2016, 00:06
I was actually about to say the same thing.
I've picked up the rules and started creating a scenario.
Was going to bring it up at the next session.
We may take turns or something if people want to.

You and GunBunnyFuFu and the group can work it out.

damned
July 17th, 2016, 01:31
I GMd our group for about 4years but for the last year or more someone else has run it.
I will be taking up the mantle again shortly but another player put his foot in it and I think we will get him to run a few things along the way too.
One of the other players has been running a campaign on the opposite weekend for about 2 years now and another has been running one shots.
I definitely think there is lots of value in sharing the load around.
It reduces burnout, it helps skill up more people, you try more stuff, you learn from each others styles and you keep a good group together.

Lysander
July 17th, 2016, 01:37
Under normal circumstances, I'd love to offer to share the GM load, but as you've probably guessed... I'm not normal.

I have a weekly fantasy game I have been GM'ing on Thursday for the last 2+ years, and trying to run things for that and for a different genre the day before is not in my cards. However, I would love to continue to play on Wednesday, with whomever wants to give it a shot. I am your Yeti guinnea pig...

GunbunnyFuFu
July 17th, 2016, 03:56
No worries. I'm happy to prep something, run when RPW needs a break with another JumpCorp team. I just like the setting, and have thoroughly enjoyed the group and our antics.

mac40k
July 17th, 2016, 16:31
Even when I played with an in person group, we took turns GMing. The most important thing is if you've got a good group, find a way to keep it together. Good groups are hard to find and we've got one, so I'm up for anything the rest of the group wants to do. I'd like to be able to offer to GM at some point, but my Internet issues make that unlikely for the near future.

GunbunnyFuFu
July 17th, 2016, 16:40
I think taking turns GMing seriously helps burnout. I ran a 4 year long RIFTS campaign that had me so burnt out at the end that I didn't run another game for 5 years. I see a couple of options here on how we can move forward. I'm still in the process of reviewing the Last Parsec Core information, trying to get a feel for the "canon" setting. I think we can certainly use the same characters...perhaps RPW runs a scenario or "story arc" involving our group of JumpCorps troubleshooters, and then I run one, back and forth. This will likely require a bit of sharing of info, as we're essentially co-game mastering. The alternate is that we also generate a second trouble shooter team, and we run those characters in my game, etc.

Daedalus
July 20th, 2016, 05:16
Well if respawningpleasewait can get everything together he can take over starting next week. The sooner I get it off my hands,. the happier I will be.

I got a message from Triopticon saying he is moving and he won't make the last game. You might want to consider asking BDaniel (who is on the waiting list and has come and watched the game a few times) if he wants to play. It would give you another player.

Up to you.

Daedalus
July 20th, 2016, 05:16
Just a reminder: We are playing tomorrow night. If you are going to be late or you cannot make it please let me know

BDaniel
July 20th, 2016, 15:35
ALCON,
I would be very interested in joining your merry little band, if you all would have me. I can't play this evening but will be available next week. If you decide to let me join, will the next GM PM me to set up a time to review the PC's I have created or we can create one together. Additionally, let me know what we need skills wise to round out the group. I have also purchased some TLP adventure PDF's, which I have only glanced at, that I can send to the prospective future GM's. I would also be willing, in the future after I have learned the system, to GM.

SF
BDaniel

Lysander
July 20th, 2016, 17:52
I would be open to trying to GM an occasional plot as a 1 shot, but I don't want to have the 'too many cooks in the kitchen' happen either. Exporting characters is pretty easy from one server to the next so I could do that. It won't look as slick as Dadelus' set up but it'll get the job done.

And we should incorporate BDaniel, he's been such a good sport watching other people play... We're like a bad sci fi show that you just have to keep watching...

RespawningPleaseWait
July 20th, 2016, 18:56
I will be unable to make tonight's game.

I have a friend out of town who left her Great Dane boarding. The dog has now developed multiple life-threatening problems and mommy is on the other side of the planet. We're trying to work out treatment and payment with the animal hospital and fighting over how this will be done. Our priority is to save the dog. Anyway, lots of drama at the moment.

As for running the game, I was planning to discuss this tonight, but that's been a bit sidetracked.

I can probably be ready next week. If GunBunny would like to start up instead, I'm perfectly open to that as well. I was going to suggest that we may rotate the GM duty, with each person that wants to running game night for one calendar month (I can run everything where the Wed falls in August, for example; plus next week this time), then switch to the next person.

My game would be in a parallel universe. This allows me to respond to "It didn't work that way in soandso's game" with my favorite response "It's a different universe; shut up". I like the freedom to apply different rules without having to reconcile logically with another game. As a result, everyone would need to create characters specifically for my game. This has the bonus effect of meaning we don't have to move character data from one person's machine to another all the time.

My game will focus on exploration, investigation, and storyline. The troubleshooter team will be serving on a new and remote Jumpcorp outpost dealing heavily with problems in unexplored space with little support. While social skills will come in handy sometimes, a character who is exclusively skilled in civilized environs may have difficulty (or could provide a role playing challenge, as desired).

And yes, BDaniel is welcome to join.
I'm not clear on whether Daedalus wants to play or just leave the game altogether.
Either way is good with me.

Just let me know after everyone talks tonight what the decision(s) was(were).

Lysander
July 21st, 2016, 00:59
Alt character dimension. Awesome! I'll put my brain on making some characters options..

Save the dog! Good luck. Don't envy your position... Hope it has a happy result..

GunbunnyFuFu
July 21st, 2016, 01:04
We playing tonight?

Daedalus
July 21st, 2016, 01:12
We playing tonight?

Sorry, we aren't playing tonight. I fell down at work and hit my head and just spent 2 1/2 hours in the er getting a cat scan.

This was unexpected and I apologize for doing this last minute. I am not really feeling well right now

GunbunnyFuFu
July 21st, 2016, 01:24
No worries! Feel better!

Lysander
July 21st, 2016, 03:06
1st the dog, then the GM. Just not our day. Next week then. Perhaps gun and respawn can collaborate. Gun was thinking we could port this into a Travellers type situation, which sounds find to me and Mac

Lysander
July 21st, 2016, 23:04
So - how's the dog?

Daedalus - how many fingers am I holding up? :D

RespawningPleaseWait
July 22nd, 2016, 01:09
Still alive. Had to remove its spleen due to damage suffered during torsion.
Bill's around $7500 now.
Dog's recovering from surgery.
Not out of the woods yet, but appears to be improving.

Daedalus alive?

RespawningPleaseWait
July 24th, 2016, 23:16
I haven't heard anything back. I'm assuming I'm running a game this Wednesday evening at our regular time slot.
Dog's recovering well. A little nervous we haven't heard from Daedalus though.

---GAME INTRO---

Maybe your parents were troubleshooters. Maybe you're on the run from something or someone. Or maybe you just needed money and JumpCorp was hiring. People become troubleshooters for all sorts of reasons. But you are a new hire.

You've come to the frontier, to the new Dark Frontier Sector JumpCorp outpost. An orbiting station over a lifeless rock rich in ore valuable to construction on the very edge of known space, the station houses over ten thousand JumpCorp employees dedicated to pushing into the darkness. Only a day ago, you were assigned quarters and moved in your meagre personal belongings. The shops are closed today, and you haven't been able to buy anything yet. They'll open tomorrow.

Your commlink beeps. "Troubleshooter Team Charlie, report to dock 6A, the Volturnan Star, for immediate debarkation." Looks like you won't be shopping after all. You secure your room and grab your company issued commlink and Personal Data Device and hurry to Dock 6A. Your first assignment.

You are greeted at the airlock by a human man who appears to be in his late 30s.

"I'm Devin Mathias, First Officer, Volturnan Star. Head for Briefing Room 1 on the lower deck."

You follow the signs to the briefing room. Your team gathers here over about 15 minutes. As the last team member boards the ship, the intercom belts out a few orders, likely from the captain.

"All hands, stand by for undocking maneuvers."
"Helm, set course for Tirest 3, maximum speed."
"All hands, stand by the jump to FTL."

After a few minutes, as the last team member enters, a Parasteen crew member enters.

"Tirac Fil, Science Officer", she says simply. The voice is flat and without emotion. The suit contains the corpse of a middle aged woman animated by the sentient parasite. She sits at the table.

The JumpCorp logo flashes briefly on the screen, before being replaced by a human male. He's young, perhaps mid twenties, with dark hair and wears a well groomed goatee.

"Team, good to see you all here. I'm Gerald Virgrave. I usually go by Jerry. I'll be your handler."

The viewscreen switches to a lifeless desert world viewed from orbit.

"This is Tirest 3, out in dark space. A robotic probe flagged it as having a high probability of very rich ores just below the surface. Four weeks ago, a geological team was dispatched to investigate and evaluate it for exploitation. The team reported in 6 hours prior to their scheduled arrival in the system that all was well. We haven't heard anything since. Mission protocol was to contact us every week at least. They've missed two checkins."

"Your mission is to track down the team and / or the ship. Find out what happened to them. Rescue if necessary and possible, recover equipment or make sure it's on task if possible. The Volturnan Star is an escort class vessel. It can outgun nearly anything it can't outrun. It will take you to the planet and stay in orbit while you investigate using shuttles. It can provide fire support and supplies as needed."

"Equipment for the mission is kept in the cargo bay. Weapons, ammunition, and explosives are required to be kept in the weapons locker on the bridge. They'll be issued as needed. You're limited to your PDDs and Commlinks while aboard the ship."

"A Synoptic Teacher will install some basic Planet Knowledge and survival information before you go down. Use it just before you arrive and you'll have the information for a week before it fades."

"Travel time to Tirest 3 is two weeks. Any questions?"

Lysander
July 25th, 2016, 04:13
(I'm in! Presuming no dispute from the rest of the team, we'll need to know your server alias and have at least a character or 2 in mind?)

I'd like to try out numerous new archtypes ideas:
-A character who fixes things, be it people or machines. Treats machines like living things and living things like machines. Not a highly educated engineer or doctor, just a tinkerer and medic.
-An team leader focusing on the Leadership Edges (Command, Natural Leader, Strong Willed/Charismatic). Not great and anything, but able to think on their feet.
-An explorer who's good on various planets (Arctic, swamp, desert)[High Survival, Woodsman, maybe Beast Master]
-The ultimate transport specialist - Pilot, Driver, Boating, Riding. Ace, maybe Steady Hands

Anyway, just spitballin'... I can play lots of different ideas...

Daedalus
July 25th, 2016, 23:26
Hi guys,

I am here, I have just been very busy.

RespawningPleaseWait: Are you continuing where I left off, or are you retconning/starting over? If you need any maps or character sheets I have to import in, I can get that to you pretty easy.

I had a little left over to do from my last game, but if you are starting over and basically "invaliding" what happened before, you can go ahead and take over on Wednesday and it wont matter if I finish or not. Just let me know what you are doing so I can make a plan.

RespawningPleaseWait
July 26th, 2016, 00:23
This is a parallel universe with all new characters. Everyone can start the session Wednesday with creating their characters. The Intro storyline for my campaign is above (Post #93).
I'll take the last Wed in July (this one) and all Wednesdays in August (up to and including the 31st), then someone else can take over.

Daedalus
July 26th, 2016, 02:47
This is a parallel universe with all new characters. Everyone can start the session Wednesday with creating their characters. The Intro storyline for my campaign is above (Post #93).
I'll take the last Wed in July (this one) and all Wednesdays in August (up to and including the 31st), then someone else can take over.

I am not sure if running it for a month and then someone running the game with an even new universe makes sense. There should be some continuity and the game, as envisioned continued with one line and different gm's

RespawningPleaseWait
July 26th, 2016, 15:09
This isn't a one month only game. It's part of a rotation. And what I'm getting ready for tomorrow's game depends on specific circumstances.

Lysander
July 26th, 2016, 16:17
Well, I don't really have an issue playing a 2nd group in the same loosely connected setting. At least we'll be trying to continue forward. If this the way to keep the group together then let's try it.

My Wednesday is dedicated gaming night as a player, I'd like to be doing something as I negotiated hard with the wife to make it available...

GunbunnyFuFu
July 26th, 2016, 19:51
My Wednesday is dedicated as well, either as a player, or with a few weeks preparation as a GM. Happy to do whatever!

Daedalus
July 26th, 2016, 21:09
This isn't a one month only game. It's part of a rotation. And what I'm getting ready for tomorrow's game depends on specific circumstances.

Ok, well that's fine. Feel free to take over starting tomorrow night.

You have your four players ready to go. Take over. Have fun

RespawningPleaseWait
July 26th, 2016, 21:23
So you're not going to be joining us anymore?

Daedalus
July 27th, 2016, 04:31
So you're not going to be joining us anymore?

Well I was going to take a break, but if you want me to play I can. It's up to you.

RespawningPleaseWait
July 28th, 2016, 00:24
It's really your choice. The point of a game is to have fun. If you'd like to take some time off, I can't hold that against you. I'll do my best with what little material I have ready at the moment.

The Teamspeak channel is "Dark Frontier" under Savage Worlds

RespawningPleaseWait
July 28th, 2016, 00:41
Server's up.

Daedalus
July 28th, 2016, 01:16
I'm Here

RespawningPleaseWait
July 28th, 2016, 04:08
As you approached your destination, most of the crew was murdered by the First Officer, Devin Mathias. He tried to trick you into staying in your quarters. When that failed, he tried to convince you to "restart the engines". You were met by the ship's medic who seemed to know nothing about what was happening. Gunny stayed with Devin as he went to the bridge.

As Gunny tried to notify the rest of the party of the Captain's demise on the bridge, Devin drew his laser pistol on Gunny. Cragg checked the engines and found they were working, but the autopilot was locked onto a specific set of coordinates on the planet's surface. The rest of the party moved to assist Gunny and overpowered Devin, knocking him unconcious.

The Ship's weapon's locker had been destroyed by an explosion from within. You realized the ship was now entering an atmosphere. After some futile attempts to save the ship, everybody made it to the shuttle bay to find one shuttle missing and the other slightly damaged.

Everyone piled into the remaining shuttle, taking the only surviving crew member, the ship's medic, with them. The unconcious Devin was left behind, and shot for good measure on the way out. Holly guided the shuttle out of the shuttle bay and opened the distance before the Volturnan Star exploded nearby. The shuttle was thrown, the Volturnan Star's medic was mortally wounded, and the shuttle crash landed in the clearing of a forest.

You realized the Volturnan Star had not arrived at Tirest 3 as planned, but instead at Tirest 4. Making camp for the first night, you spotted a lighted temporary / portable subspace antenna to the north, maybe 2-3 kilometers distant. At dawn, you began marching for the antenna.

At this point, the world server crashed because the GM didn't have the encounters prepared for the next part.

GunbunnyFuFu
July 28th, 2016, 04:11
Enjoyable game! Looking forward to the next!

BDaniel
July 28th, 2016, 16:02
Yes a very enjoyable game and a great group. I just wished everyone had the chance to purchase the indestructible red shirt that Gunny Pax is wearing. Also it was an accidental discharge of the laser pistol, while Gunny Pax was running to the shuttle, that killed Devin. He tripped because of the atmospheric turbulence. See you all next week.

Lysander
July 28th, 2016, 22:18
A likely story, but since I didn't see it happen, who am I to doubt you...

GunbunnyFuFu
July 28th, 2016, 22:30
Accidental discharges happen. I bed Devin wishes he too had purchased an indestructible red shirt...

BDaniel
July 29th, 2016, 01:28
The red shirt really would not have worked for him...unless he was the Great Conrholio. After Ralegiesh grappled him, I stuck the laser pistol to his head and pulled the trigger. Was a shame the AD also hit him in the old brain bucket also. He might have made it through reentry.

Daedalus
July 29th, 2016, 03:48
It was pretty fun, except the GM didn't have a lot planned out and wasn't quick to give out bennies.

Not fun when you are on the receiving end of crap from your players, eh? ;)

Vhok
July 29th, 2016, 04:01
you guys seem like your full and actually playing, could you take this to a discussion thread and out of the recruitment thread.

RespawningPleaseWait
July 29th, 2016, 14:32
Posted a new thread in The Tavern for us to use.
Let's move over there.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33406-Dark-Frontier-Campaign

Daedalus
July 29th, 2016, 23:57
you guys seem like your full and actually playing, could you take this to a discussion thread and out of the recruitment thread.

Not sure why it matters. It never has before. If a moderater has a problem with it, then they can say something

Daedalus
July 29th, 2016, 23:59
Posted a new thread in The Tavern for us to use.
Let's move over there.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33406-Dark-Frontier-Campaign

Don't think it matters. I have left posts here when I ran games and Noone has said anything. It doesn't hurt anything.