PDA

View Full Version : How does a player play an animal companion?

AndyPan
June 16th, 2005, 03:19
One of my players is going to be playing a druid. He gets an animal companion when he begins. How does he, or do I, set it up so that there is a playable animal companion or familiar?

We're playing Friday, so a quick reply would be great! Thanks!

msd
June 16th, 2005, 03:24
One of my players is going to be playing a druid. He gets an animal companion when he begins. How does he, or do I, set it up so that there is a playable animal companion or familiar?

I could be wrong so don't take this as definitive, but I don't there is a way to do this with the software as it presently works. The only real way to do this is the obvious one, which is to have two clients connecting to the server...one for the player and one for the animal companion.

I fee certain that is not the answer you are looking for but it may be the only way at this point.

Again, I could easily be wrong...

richvalle
June 16th, 2005, 12:11
Unless you run a 2nd client as msd says you'll have to find another work around. Note: the devs say allowing more then 1 character per client is something they are thinking about.

You could just have a token for the animal that the character/dm moves and keep the critter's stats in the players notes. Or the dm can have the beast in as an npc with its stats listed and the character keeps a copy in his notes (manual put there of course). The player would then just use it to roll whatever dice the animal needs during the game.

rv

AndyPan
June 16th, 2005, 13:02
Okay, that's about what I figured. I knew that there wasn't a way to do multiple characters, as that was one of the questions I asked a while back. But I thought there might be a way to work an animal companion and/or familiar with the program, as those are more class-specific entities. We'll muddle through. Thanks for the replies!

richvalle
June 16th, 2005, 14:41
You know... another way to do this is just have the DM run the animal. I've always thought characters had too much control over their companions and just run them as an extention of themselves. Having the dm contral the animal would add some more work to the dm but would play better. The player could give commands to the animal but would never really be sure what the thing is going to do.

rv

AndyPan
June 16th, 2005, 16:03
Actually, Rich, this was one of my ideas as well. I tried a number of things last nite, including pulling up the sheet for a wolf in the monster tab thing, and seeing if it could be "shared" like maps and other info. That was a no-go, of course, but perhaps making up a character sheet for the animal might be the way to go, and like you said, have the player just say what he wants the animal to do. Not having the player control it would definitely make it more unpredictable, too. Think we'll give that a shot. Thanks again!

Engar
June 20th, 2005, 06:12
Thanks for the post. I am running for the first time with FG very shortly and had a player ask me how I would handle summoning spells. I thought delegating the task and just handing out tokens was the best way for game play. Any special hints or catches for this somewhat related topic since I have yet to run on FG?

Ged
June 20th, 2005, 15:26
Just to confirm, there isn't currently an inbuilt system for handling several characters, animal companions or summoned in the software without running several clients. So, you'll have to rely on the notebook, letting the GM handle the extra folk as NPCs and/or doing it as usual, through chat. This is a feature that will be implemented, eventually, but not before a number of other things.