PDA

View Full Version : The One Ring: Fridays (8pm-11pm UK)

Valarian
May 19th, 2016, 21:05
I'm wanting to get back in to Middle-earth. The game is likely to hit some weeks where my work schedule means that I can't run a session. If I'm home, running a session is fine. From a hotel, it means the players need to be able to use Hamachi. I've not yet found a reasonably priced VPN that will allow me to set up a rule to forward the 1802 port on the VPN IP address. When travelling, even the Hamachi / VPN option is not viable.

Got two interested players. Could do with a couple more.
FG Calendar Entry: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1988

Time range Fridays from 8pm to 10/11pm UK time.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=The+One+Ring&iso=20160527T20&p1=3592&ah=3

I'll be looking to run through published adventures, some of which you may have run through before, though I'll probably not run them as published. Standard starting characters. I'll be drawing from Tales of Wilderland, Darkening of Mirkwood, Ruins of the North for adventures. Heart of the Wild, Rivendell, and Horse Lords for setting.

Resources:
Azrapse's Character Builder
https://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html

IrishBouzouki
May 20th, 2016, 00:00
I should have read the OP closer, text chat is no problem but I don't want to deal with Hamachi after I spent $$$ on a VPN. Maybe given that and the time it is just not workable for me, truly sorry, it sounds so wonderful too.

Valarian
May 20th, 2016, 08:14
Aye. Appreciate that the timezone differences don't make Fridays easy for US players. There's at least one week a month where a session may have to be cancelled, as I have team meetings to attend. That said, I'm usually back by around 7pm so all may be well.

The game will be using the Fantasy Grounds text chat. The written media makes for a better experience for characterisation and description, I've found, even if a little slower.

Szabtom
May 20th, 2016, 21:47
I would love to play! I have read only the core book so far (though I own several of the supplements).
Hamachi is not a problem (the free client will be OK, I suppose?). The tz is OK, too, I live in Europe.
But I am a little bit afraid of a text game - I have never tried one! And English is not my first language.

Valarian
May 20th, 2016, 22:06
It'll be fine.

Szabtom
May 20th, 2016, 22:36
I see there is a Dwarf Fighter and a High Elf Wizard or Human Fighter in the group so far. (N.B. They don't really sound like ToR characters. :) )
What type of character would be useful in the company?

Valarian
May 21st, 2016, 07:42
They don't really sound like Middle-earth characters, especially the wizard (no such character type), but I'm willing to educate D&D players. We can go through characters on Friday. The other two players would probably be a High Elf (I'd like to try and avoid two of those in the company) and a wood elf / woodman.

borusa32
May 21st, 2016, 09:05
I am up for this

Szabtom
May 21st, 2016, 10:05
I assume we will use your ToR extension? I have run some D&D on FG before, but without any mods/extensions. Do players need to install anything, or only the host?
As for the characters, two elves (or a woodman) sound like we have Wits covered. :) I am thinking of choosing either Dwarf or Barding culture.

Valarian
May 21st, 2016, 10:33
You will only need the FG client (free). I've got an Ultimate license. All else will download when connecting. The One Ring is now it's own PAK file ruleset (still based on the older foundations_core).

Szabtom
May 27th, 2016, 15:06
Hi Valarian,
I have tried out Azrapse's Character Builder and it is pretty handy!
Should we send you character printouts in pdf? Do you require anything before play?

Valarian
May 27th, 2016, 16:09
No, but if you've got a clear idea of your character it'll be handy and we can get going quicker. The main point of tonight's session will be background, to give me ideas and to discuss how the company comes together. I've got a number of possible starting points and I'll probably pick the best fit for the company - unless I am given inspiration during the session from one or more of you.

Szabtom
May 27th, 2016, 19:36
Alright, a prep session will be useful.

Valarian
May 27th, 2016, 19:56
The server is up ... three players connected so far.
Alias: infirm ogre cold bard

Kouby
May 28th, 2016, 09:00
Hello i would like to join the party.

Valarian
May 28th, 2016, 09:55
Okay. Let me know what sort of character you'd like to play. We had the first session yesterday to go through building the company and where things will start.

The company is starting in Esgaroth (Laketown), and are responding to a call for help from a village to the south who are experiencing problems with raiders.

The company consists of:
- a Barding scholar
- a Barding treasure hunter
- a High Elf slayer
- a Woodman warden
- a Dwarf (calling yet to be decided, possibly also a warden)

damned
May 28th, 2016, 11:32
The company consists of:
- a Barding scholar
- a Barding treasure hunter
- a High Elf slayer
- a Woodman warden
- a Dwarf (calling yet to be decided, possibly also a warden)

Awesome - the fellowship is full!

rodney418
May 31st, 2016, 08:34
I'd be interested if you're still looking for players...

Valarian
May 31st, 2016, 11:20
Got a full house at the moment, but I'll keep you in mind if a place opens up.

Bleak Midwinter
May 31st, 2016, 19:57
I'd also be interested if a place opens up.

Valarian
June 3rd, 2016, 13:57
Ok. Noted.

Reminder about the session tonight for those already in the game. There are two people waiting to take your place :)
This is known as incentive. :p