PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent measures on pointers

hereander
May 18th, 2016, 11:02
Hi there!
Using the 5E ruleset I discovered during last session that the measures on circles, squares and such are behaving weird.
I draw a grid onto a map and judging from the tokenscales and thread-ranges it seems that the ruleset assumes that a square is 5'x5'.
- When I draw just a single square using the pointers tool it doesn's show any measure.
- When I draw a 2x2 square it displays "5'"
- When I and my players draw circles that say "20'" they all have different size, none of which results in 20' in relation to the grid size.

Is there any setting that is wrong in my campaign?

damned
May 18th, 2016, 11:17
The measure that you are seeing displayed is the distance from where you started to drag to where you finished the drag. There is rounding involved and there is also a D&D rules interpretation regarding diagonal squares involved. If using a circle then the number is the D&D interpretation of that radius. If using a square there is no radius but it is the distance from where you started drawing to where you finished drawing. Drawing along an axis will give you a different measurement to drawing a diagonal - again, that is due to the D&D rule.
A 1 grid square wont show a measure as it isnt 5'.
A 2 grid square will show 5'
The difference in 20' is due to the axis vs diagonal rule