PDA

View Full Version : Tournament in the works

DM Greg
June 13th, 2005, 22:26
All,

I'm starting to work on a tournament-style Fantasy Grounds adventure. I'll be using A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity as the adventure. Knowing that not everyone has played this gem yet it should be a great way to get into a game.

Here's the teaser advertisement I'm working on - www.naturaltwenty.com/downloads/gregcon1.pdf

I am also recruiting DM's to assist. I am footing the bill for the prize (yes...prize) so nothing but time is required.

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com
Forums - www.naturaltwenty.com/bbs

richvalle
June 14th, 2005, 02:20
Wow, that sounds like fun.

rv

msd
June 14th, 2005, 02:44
I'll be using A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity as the adventure.

I'm not sure I understand how you are going to use this mod. Do you expect each DM to convert his own version of the mod to FG?

I guess I am asking because that seems to be the only way to avoid copyright issues...obviously distributing a conversion you made is trouble, and yet I don't see how a tournament is going to work without some standardization.

Sorry...am I just being dense and not seeing your point?

DM Greg
June 14th, 2005, 12:33
What I am doing is already authorized (and has been for years) by WotC. I have purchased 4 copies of the adventure. Each DM (including myself) will have it and the conversion doc that I am in the process of creating. Encounter add-ons are my creation so they are exempt as long as I don't include any IP per normal d20/OGL compliance. The add-ons are optional and will not reference the ESD.

The FG module will contain recreated maps (using Dunjinni fan-based art or Gridsmith), counters with art from one of two sources which I am waiting for approval, the enounter material, and pictures from various purchased sources (Mad Elf, Ronin Arts, Ed Bourelle, all of which I have purchased and can include in any project I wish per the licensing agreement).

So yes, each DM will receive the same module and there will definitely be a standard way the game is run. Prior to the event I will run the GM's through the game per normal slot 0 RPGA-type rules.

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

Wizards of the Coast, Inc. ESD Conversion Agreement v1.0.

IMPORTANT – READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE CONVERTING ANY 1ST AND 2ND D&D®/ AD&D® EDITION MATERIALS INTO 3RD EDITION MATERIALS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT CONVERT THE PRODUCT. YOU AGREE THAT BY CONVERTING THE PRODUCT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, UNDERSTAND IT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

The Open Gaming movement continues to extend itself into new venues all the time, requiring updates and explanations of policies on a regular basis. Recently, people have requested permission to convert 1st- and 2nd-edition D&D®/AD&D® materials, primarily made available through the Electronic SKU Download (ESD) project, into 3rd-edition D&D (3E) materials and to make them available on personal Web sites. This is permissible under the rules of the Open Gaming License (OGL) and the d20™ System Trademark License, and this document addresses Wizards of the Coast’s (“Wizards”) policies with regard to that activity.

However, performing the conversion according to OGL standards is not sufficient in itself to post the materials without committing copyright and/or trademark infringement. It is critical to understand all brands, logos, and proper names within those materials are, and remain, the property of Wizards. Furthermore, it is necessary to prominently acknowledge ownership within the converted materials. Don’t be fooled by unauthorized conversions you may find, all over the Internet: People who upload those materials are, knowingly or unknowingly, committing acts of copyright infringement and are vulnerable to litigation. Furthermore, they are damaging Wizards’ ability to protect its own intellectual property, and contributing to factors that could ultimately result in the withdrawal of any and all permissions to conduct this activity. Wizards’ participation in the Open Gaming movement is quite unconventional, if not radical, in the business world—please respect the company’s willingness to risk its Intellectual Properties by protecting them!

Wizards shall be the sole source of the original materials, whether they have been obtained as ESDs, scanned, or otherwise procured. All you are authorized to convert to 3E are the mechanics, themselves. For example, if an AD&D encounter describes a scene wherein the adventurers are traveling down a road when they are accosted by a group of orcs, who demand their money or their lives, followed by a stat block that details the orc party, all you are authorized to convert is the stat block. You may add any additional mechanical information necessary to run the encounter in a 3E game, aside from the stat block, but you may not include the encounter itself, or the entire adventure in which it takes place.

You must clearly identify the ESD that has been converted, and it is customary to provide a link to the Wizards Web page where the ESD may be downloaded.

Conversions must be performed using the System Reference Document (SRD), created for OGL users, for purposes of establishing 3E mechanics in the respective materials. You are only granted permission to convert the ESD; you may not perform a re-design based upon personal standards and opinions. (Note the OGL must be included in the download such that it will print along with the materials—see the rules for publishing OGL products at www.wizards.com/d20 for complete information.) By doing so, it is legal to host the conversion on a personal Web site without obtaining formal permissions from Wizards.

Product Labeling:
Permission is granted to use the full and complete title of any ESD obtained legally from Wizards for a conversion. You may only use that title in the following format:

d20™ System Conversion of: “ [insert full title of product here]

Legal Text:
You must affix the following notice to the document containing any trademark or element of Product Identity used per this Agreement:

“[Insert product title here], Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, AD&D, the D&D logo, the AD&D logo, the d20 System logo and d20 are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used with permission. All titles, and all proper nouns, including character names, locations, and named items are considered Product Identity per Section 1 of the Open Game License v1.0a and are exclusively owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
©2002 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Compliance of Conversion Policy, Open Game License and the d20 System Trademark License:
Use of Wizards of the Coast® Product Identity including proper names and product titles is hereby permitted exclusively via this ESD Conversion Agreement. A current version of this policy can be obtained at: (https://www.wizards.com/d20/conversionpolicy.asp).

The distributor of this document accepts full responsibility for ensuring the materials contained within comply with the most recently published version of that policy, and with the Open Game License, and with the d20 System Trademark License. If you wish to redistribute any portion of this document containing Wizards Product Identity, you must also agree to the terms of the current ESD Conversion Agreement.

To obtain a digital copy of the original source material this conversion is derived from, please link to: https://www.wizards.com/whatevertherightlinkshouldbe.asp.”

In addition, you must update Section 15 of the text of the Open Game License you include with your work to include a copyright notice in the following format:

“[insert title here], © [ insert copyright date from the product you are converting ] Wizards of the Coast, Inc.”

and

“d20™ System Conversion of [ insert product title here ], ©2002 [insert your name or company name here ].”

Restrictions:
Furthermore, you may not charge a fee for the distribution of any document licensed using this agreement. You may not impose any additional restrictions on the redistribution of this document. The Open Game Content in the conversion is, of course, not affected by these restrictions, but any portion of the work containing Wizards Product Identity is so restricted.

Termination:
Wizards or its designated agents may terminate this agreement at any time by notice to you via email or surface mail. If this agreement is terminated, you agree to remove any electronic versions of this conversion under your control from distribution, and to destroy any printed versions of this conversion in your possession immediately. Once terminated, your right to continue to use the trademarks and Product Identity outlined in this Agreement terminate as well.[/quote]

DM Greg
June 14th, 2005, 14:50
I am in discussions with WotC (see quote below) regarding running this event at UnCon 2005 - https://wizo.wizards.com/uncon/pages/welcome.php. We're talking prize support, Fantasy Grounds demos, and advertising/promotion. The UnCon organizers are busy with Origins and GenCon right now but will start to focus on UnCon in July.

They are looking for events to be held during this so I cannot help but think this would be an excellent place for Fantasy Grounds DM's to showcase what the product can do.

I hope that other DM's will inquire about running events or demos. Drop a line to [email protected] with event submissions or questions.

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming

Email from Wizards of the Coast

Hi!
It sounds like an excellent idea. I will start dealing with UnCon
events in July since I am still finishing our GenCon Indy
preparations. However, I can already assure you that we can support
your event and hopefully turn it into something to remember.
I'll get back to you in July.

Cheers,

WizO_Hydragon
admin lead

richvalle
June 14th, 2005, 18:02
Greg, that link to wizo.wizards.com/uncon... is dead.

rv

DM Greg
June 14th, 2005, 18:12
Fixed. Pesky "."

Later,

Greg V.

Greg, that link to wizo.wizards.com/uncon... is dead.

rv

hicksms
June 23rd, 2005, 04:19
I would love to try the Torny. Keep me posted on it. I have been playing for years but never played in a tornament. It sounds like fun.

Michael

wavecutter
September 9th, 2005, 14:24
Whats the word on this?