PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Revised?

merkvah
May 16th, 2016, 21:55
Following closely on the release of Star Wars: Episode 2, WotC released a d20 based Star Wars game which followed closely the 3.x ruleset for D&D. I gobbled up several of the books and my friends and I played it for a couple of years... it was a lot of fun.

I still have a few of the rulebooks, but they don't do me much good, since we play over Fantasy grounds, but I would love to be able to play that system from within FG. I guess there are a few options here:

Find a Star Wars: Revised module for FG
or
Create a Star Wars: Revised module for FG

I'm not sure about the legality / copyright issues here... but does anyone know of an existing module? Or how I could go about transferring the rule set into FG? I'm not sure how to create new modules, but that might be an option.

Or maybe I could petition WotC to consider it... I don't know. My gaming group is still stuck in the late 90s, and that's fine...that's where we are, that's what we enjoy... and using this system would be a great way to play Star Wars with rules we're already familiar with.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions, and may the Force be with you.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 21:58
I believe this ruleset covers that game system, but I'm not completely sure.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Ruleset:_Star_Wars_Saga

The data itself will not be available, because it is copyright protected.

Regards,
JPG

merkvah
May 16th, 2016, 23:36
Saga edition was the system that was launched after the Revised system. Revised used the 3.5 rule system, Saga was the test market for the 4th Ed rule system.

I spoke to WotC customer service on the phone this afternoon about the Revised system, and they said I'd have to talk to Fantasy Grounds about making it available. When I asked about copyright issues, they said that would be between Fantasy Grounds and WotC, but since FG and WotC already have a working relationship with 5th Ed D&D, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Is there a customer support number at Fantasy Grounds I can call to talk to someone about this? Right now is a great time to be a Star Wars fan, with new movies every year for the foreseeable future, and it would be great to be able to craft our own adventures again in a Tabletop game.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2016, 23:40
Is there a customer support number at Fantasy Grounds I can call to talk to someone about this?
There isn't a number. Email [email protected] - if MW hasn't already kicked off the process of the relevant folks reaching out to you.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2016, 23:41
Plus, if it's pretty close to 3.5e, could you use the 3.5e ruleset that comes for free with Fantasy Grounds to play Star Wars - Revised?

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 23:41
You can reach out to [email protected] to talk with Doug about it, since he manages the business relationships.

However, in general, we have not made much progress about getting official licenses to do any WotC game system outside 5E (which also includes 3.5E) or getting official licenses where the publisher licensed the IP from a third party (i.e. Star Wars, etc.).

Regards,
JPG

Valarian
May 17th, 2016, 06:33
Wizards of the Coast no longer have the Star Wars license, and are no longer able to sell Star Wars products. Therefore, they're unlikely to be able to approve official products. Additionally, electronic versions of Star Wars books have never been part of the roleplaying license, as it conflicts with the license for the MMORPG games.

merkvah
May 25th, 2016, 01:00
Thanks for your replies, all. I appreciate them. =)

Merk

mrklin
July 10th, 2016, 16:58
Wizards of the Coast no longer have the Star Wars license, and are no longer able to sell Star Wars products. Therefore, they're unlikely to be able to approve official products. Additionally, electronic versions of Star Wars books have never been part of the roleplaying license, as it conflicts with the license for the MMORPG games.

This has been bugging me since day one after getting FG, I love it to bits, but my 3 favorite RPG's are not available due to stuff like this.

That was my rant for the day (not your fault obviously, just needed a vent), but my question is, are there any avenues being followed to maybe free up some license on this? Or are we stuck in a Star Wars IP limbo? I'd love to get running on an FG module for StarWars, be it revised, Saga, the old D6 system, whatever...

damned
July 10th, 2016, 17:09
As the posters above have said - Star Wars looks unlikely to get official support because of the licenses "value".
If you havent already do look at the Star Wars Edge of the Empire ruleset and the community mods that are available for it.

viresanimi
July 10th, 2016, 18:09
It completely boggles my mind that FFG can't release PDF versions of their new Star Wars rpg, "because it would be considered a video game and they don't have the licences for that".

*Starts banging head into the wall*

Vires Animi