PDA

View Full Version : Messing up Character Sheet

NeoDante
June 11th, 2005, 16:08
One issue I'd like to see resolved would be how easy it is to 'muck up' a player’s character sheet. As DM, I'm usually looking at a player’s character sheet throughout the game at various points, and usually will have a few other things going on at the same time. I've noticed (after it was too late) that if the character sheet is open and I'm scrolling my mouse wheel, and my pointer happens to be over just about any part of the character sheet-I'm messing up numbers. Sometimes lots of numbers if it takes me awhile to notice what I've done...this needs to be fixed. It's way too easy to unintentionally change numbers on the sheet.

NeoDante

Dayereth
September 5th, 2015, 21:58
Yes. And with this, there should be a way to know when a player has added or modified his character sheet without your consent. I am reviewing my player's characters and just found out one of them added a lot of GP to his character without having found it in-game. How can I avert this?

JohnD
September 5th, 2015, 22:29
DM lightning bolt from the heavens.

Small joke aside, being able to lock the character sheet DM side would be nice. Anything and everything including ammunition, adding phantom equipment and coins, to changing spells on the fly in the middle of combat.

Nylanfs
September 5th, 2015, 23:51
Well you could make copies of the character and review after every level gain.

Dayereth
September 6th, 2015, 00:14
This is a tool for making DM work easier. I appreciate the suggestion but the software should be the one to do something in our favor, not give us more work. Remember, we are replacing normal pen and paper character sheets for the software, so a mechanism should exist to deal with this. Normally, you would remember (vaguely though) what was written and where in the character sheet of every player and new writings could be evident sometimes, but in the software it is easy to replace entire blocks of text or add quantities without leaving evidence behind.

damned
September 6th, 2015, 01:29
This is a tool for making DM work easier. I appreciate the suggestion but the software should be the one to do something in our favor, not give us more work. Remember, we are replacing normal pen and paper character sheets for the software, so a mechanism should exist to deal with this. Normally, you would remember (vaguely though) what was written and where in the character sheet of every player and new writings could be evident sometimes, but in the software it is easy to replace entire blocks of text or add quantities without leaving evidence behind.

Hey (again :) ) Dayereth and NeoDante,

In options set Mouse: Wheel Editing to <ctrl> and then your mouse scrolls will do little or at least less damage.
And yes this software is intended to replicate the tabletop. At the tabletop your PC can alter their sheets without your knowledge too... a counterpoint to you wanting everything approved by the GM is the view that the GM has enough to do already (as you also point out) and I want my players to manage their own stuff. If I thought a player had added gold to his sheet he'd get his purse cut at the very next possible moment and find it completely empty. Its not what you are asking I know - but some times you can use the game to manage the limitations of a product.

Vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Dayereth
September 6th, 2015, 02:43
Hey (again :) ) Dayereth and NeoDante,

In options set Mouse: Wheel Editing to <ctrl> and then your mouse scrolls will do little or at least less damage.
And yes this software is intended to replicate the tabletop. At the tabletop your PC can alter their sheets without your knowledge too... a counterpoint to you wanting everything approved by the GM is the view that the GM has enough to do already (as you also point out) and I want my players to manage their own stuff. If I thought a player had added gold to his sheet he'd get his purse cut at the very next possible moment and find it completely empty. Its not what you are asking I know - but some times you can use the game to manage the limitations of a product.

Vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

You are completely right and measures will be taken [maniacal laugh]. It would still be a good addition to the already impressive list of features.

Crymoricus
September 10th, 2015, 04:41

Hey, Damned -- I'm honestly curious... what won't that prevent? Let's say, in 5e, for examples sake? Thanks!

damned
September 10th, 2015, 05:49
Hey, Damned -- I'm honestly curious... what won't that prevent? Let's say, in 5e, for examples sake? Thanks!

I don't know the answer - I thought it prevented most changes but wasn't positive :)

Dayereth
September 10th, 2015, 11:59
I don't know the answer - I thought it prevented most changes but wasn't positive :)

It is like that by default. It prevents the inadvertently changing of numeric values by use of the mouse wheel.