PDA

View Full Version : Items & NPCs

Coanunn
May 15th, 2016, 23:27
Ok, so I just submitted Pirates to QA and realized these two categories only display to the GM until the GM manually shares them to the players. Is there any way to set the entries as player visible by default? This is far more important for Items, but there are even a few NPCs that it would be nice to set as visible by default. From what I can tell it seems the share state is saved in the campaign file rather than in the module database file, but I'm hoping I'm just missing the field.

Mortar
May 15th, 2016, 23:59
Those categories in a common.xml or db.xml file? Anything in the common.xml should be visible by default to the players.

Mask_of_winter
May 16th, 2016, 00:51
Did you split the book into Player's and Gm Guide modules?

Coanunn
May 16th, 2016, 00:53
I used a single module due to the nature of the book I was creating. With that said it is all in the db file, so it sounds like I need to convert that to a common to achieve what I'm looking to display.

Mortar
May 16th, 2016, 00:57
Or at least those portions of the book

Mask_of_winter
May 16th, 2016, 01:59
NPCs & Items should be dragged to the sidebars before being shared with players anyway otherwise if they change the info it'll also modify the database for everybody.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2016, 02:00
If you're NPCs and Items are in the campaign data lists (accessible from the right side of the desktop) rather than setup as reference data within the library then they won't be shared as standard, even if you allow players access to the module.

If you want items and NPCs to be viewable by the players without having the share them out individually, then they'll need to be in a library reference section that is accessible to the players. Oh, and you'll also have to allow players access to the module!

Coanunn
May 16th, 2016, 15:51
If you're NPCs and Items are in the campaign data lists (accessible from the right side of the desktop) rather than setup as reference data within the library then they won't be shared as standard, even if you allow players access to the module.

If you want items and NPCs to be viewable by the players without having the share them out individually, then they'll need to be in a library reference section that is accessible to the players. Oh, and you'll also have to allow players access to the module!

Thanks Trenloe, I was about to spend all day creating the common.xml file and it sounds like it wouldn't resolve the issue I was talking about. Right now the they are all in the appropriate library modules but they are also in the sidebar data lists. I wanted to utilize the full capability of FG with the module. I just wanted the players to have access to the items and a few of the NPCs in those sidebar lists. Sounds like that isn't something you can set at the module level then from what you are saying? It just means anyone who uses Pirates will need to share those if they want the players to have access but the GM will have access.