PDA

View Full Version : Amethyst Quintessence for 5e?

Morfedel
May 15th, 2016, 03:10
So, I was wondering if there was an add-on for Amethyst Quintessence for 5e? If not, I may be tempted to make one. I used to be a developer - 10 years ago, before I decided to get into the medical field. So, very rusty, not up to date with current technology, and if I recall, looking at how a rules set was built was a bit nontrivial and not exactly user friendly or easily readable, and I THINK the tutorials were not exactly the best either.

Of course, that was also a couple years ago, and things have obviously changed. So... I guess back to my original question. Rules set for Amethyst, Quintessence edition, and if not, perhaps a tutorial on modifying rules sets? :)

Thanks!

damned
May 15th, 2016, 04:40
Welcome back Morfedel.
No there is not a ruleset for Quintessence that i can recall.
Its still non-trivial but there are more resources and examples available.
You might look at the MoreCore extension and see if that covers enough of what you need.
It is also reasonably well documented to assist in making your own extensions/rulesets/changes.

Probably in about 2 weeks I will push a new build of MoreCore that is designed as a Ruleset rather than an extension.

Morfedel
May 15th, 2016, 04:55
Welcome back Morfedel.
No there is not a ruleset for Quintessence that i can recall.
Its still non-trivial but there are more resources and examples available.
You might look at the MoreCore extension and see if that covers enough of what you need.
It is also reasonably well documented to assist in making your own extensions/rulesets/changes.

Probably in about 2 weeks I will push a new build of MoreCore that is designed as a Ruleset rather than an extension.

Thanks!

Thing is, Amethyst really is an add on to 5th edition; basically it added new classes, equipment, etc, but otherwise its 5th edition, so really, what would be best for me would be to take the 5th ed rules and add on to it.

Is that allowed? I'm not sure what the licensure between Wizards and Fantasy Grounds allow, but being able to hack all of this on top of 5th edition really would most likely be the easiest way to do it.

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2016, 05:42
I'm not familiar with Amethyst, but from what you say Morfdel, it sounds like you just need to make a module or reference (maybe an extension) for Amethyst. If Amethyst doesn't change the rules or mechanics and just adds classes, equipment and spells, then that is just reference source like the PHB etc. Things like spell and psionic points are typically handled by an extension (like MoreCore) though as you need more fields to track on the character sheet and maybe the combat tracker.

As for the 5E ruleset. I believe it is all open to be used and modified. SW has stated repeatedly that game mechanics are not copyrightable, and anyway are available through the 5E SRD.

damned
May 15th, 2016, 07:06
You can add things in manually as the easiest option or you could look at learning Par5e to create content compatible with 5e.

Krimson
May 15th, 2016, 17:23
It can probably be done as a module. I have Amethyst Quintessence though I have only skimmed through it while waiting for Deus Ex Machina to release Ultramodern5, which I'll probably try inputting via Par5e.

Morfedel
May 22nd, 2016, 16:48
I'm not familiar with Amethyst, but from what you say Morfdel, it sounds like you just need to make a module or reference (maybe an extension) for Amethyst. If Amethyst doesn't change the rules or mechanics and just adds classes, equipment and spells, then that is just reference source like the PHB etc. Things like spell and psionic points are typically handled by an extension (like MoreCore) though as you need more fields to track on the character sheet and maybe the combat tracker.

As for the 5E ruleset. I believe it is all open to be used and modified. SW has stated repeatedly that game mechanics are not copyrightable, and anyway are available through the 5E SRD.

So, what, just make it as if it was an adventure module?

Nylanfs
May 22nd, 2016, 19:20
Yes