PDA

View Full Version : Where are the community added Modules?

Octavious
May 12th, 2016, 18:22
I don't see a category for modules created for FG by the community .. I see the link to the wiki .. but not a sub category if someone wanted to make a module and contribute it .. Or did I miss finding it here ?

I have a few underway that I may want to share myself.

Thanx ...

Trenloe
May 12th, 2016, 18:27
Modules are usually specific to a ruleset. Look in the ruleset specific forums you're interested in, there is usually a sticky thread at the top that has details of the available modules.

Donivan2009
May 19th, 2016, 13:38
Yea, what Trenloe said. Just in case you haven't found it yet https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27298-Extensions-Modules-Pregens-and-other-5E-resources

But you're right, there is not a huge selection of player created modules out there. Im not sure why really. I have never tried it, but from what I can tell, it's possible to export an entire FG campaign (maps, encounters, items, etc.). Is there not a way to give that to other people to load into their FG? I spend a lot of time creating adventures with maps and detailed story, I would be more than happy to share those with the community if there is a way for them to just "load and play". Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions. Im still relatively new to FG (came from Roll20).

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2016, 14:50
You can create modules for sharing provided that you only use the material in the SRD Data, Bestiary or Magic Items and include a copy of the SRD in the module itself. I suspect that there aren't a great deal of these (or indeed any) for 5e since the SRD is fairly recent. Also creating a decent module that others can use would take several weeks work - depending on its size and your attention to detail of course. Furthermore I also suspect that folks are uploading them to the DMs Guild so that they can get paid for it.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2016, 16:11
It all depends which system you're producing for (the original poster didn't specify). If the RPG system has an OGL/SRD/Creative Commons licence then you can include specific "stuff" based off the license the RPG is released under. Even then you'll be limited in artwork, storyline (place and character names etc.), descriptive text (not in the OGL) that you can include to avoid copyright infringement. Remember that copyright still applies, even if you give your work away for free.

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2016, 17:51
Sorry I just assumed 5e as usual :)

LordEntrails
May 19th, 2016, 22:53
I've got a 5E module ready to go, but it uses the DMsG license so I can not distribute it outside of the DMsG. I've talked to Doug and he's trying to work it out so that FG modules of DMsG content can be uploaded on the FG store. I've posted the PDF on DMsG, but am waiting to post the FG module on the FG store.

I'm considering making the second module in the campaign reliant only on the SRD (not a big change) so I can see if SW would post it here (and if it would do better than on the DMsG).

Hermundure
May 27th, 2016, 09:43
MODERATOR: Post deleted. This sort of thing is not for these forums.

damned
May 27th, 2016, 11:30
Hermundure this site in no way condones the sharing of copyright material. If we do that we are not only depriving the authors and publishers of reward for their work but we also make it less likely that publishers will license their material with Fantasy Grounds which is to all of our detriment....

You absolutely CAN share stuff if you play by the rules and the rules are exceedingly generous.
Include the OGL in your module, abide by its terms and only use SRD and Homebrew content and you can do what you want.

Hermundure
May 27th, 2016, 22:41
I was not talking about copyrighted material, I spoke explicit about user made modules - or like you called it, homebrew content.
If you check my account you can see that I purchased each and every module which came out for 5e to support the site, I have no need for "pirated" stuff.

My point was that some people (to whom I talked to) who created stuff on their own are unsure if they can or can not give it away for free.
Instead of doing the research to clean up the confusion they just dont care and let it rot on their HD.
This is the answer from my point of view to the thread openers question...

damned
May 28th, 2016, 01:20
Hey Hermundure I apologise - it looked like you were suggesting to just move the sharing elsewhere to avoid scrutiny.
The best way to move this forward might be to build some content of your own, use the SRD monsters, include the OGL statement and start a new thread and share it. Hopefully others will follow your lead. Im not running any 5e but I have a couple of ideas of things I wanted to write and share in this manner.

Octavious
June 1st, 2016, 20:27
What constitutes making a module that "shares the DMG license"? I am making a Crafting Potions module (5e) to share. The Potion recipes do have the name of the potions in the DMG such as "Potion of Healing Recipe" and it has a short description of the potion it makes.. I used the forge to combine the potion with a recipe template. and I include crafting rules from the DMG but the module does not need the DMG to work.. .. . so... does this mean I cannot share my module with the community ??? and what is the OGL statement ?

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 20:55
The OGL statement is the first two pages of this document (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf) here.

You cannot distribute anything which does not appear in the 5e SRD which comes with Fantasy Grounds (it's in your module library - the one you want is the 5e SRD Magic Items). If the crafting rules don't appear in the SRD then you can't include them. You can include a link to the portion of the DMG you used but you can't include the actual text. In short if it appears in the SRD you can use it provided you include the OGL document; if it's not in the SRD then you can't distribute it at all.

Octavious
June 2nd, 2016, 02:06
So my module has potion recipes in it for the potions in the 5e SRD but because there is no potion recipes in the SRD that means I cannot share my module is that correct ?

damned
June 2nd, 2016, 02:19
So my module has potion recipes in it for the potions in the 5e SRD but because there is no potion recipes in the SRD that means I cannot share my module is that correct ?

If the potion recipes came from the DMG then that is correct. If you made up your own recipes for the potions that would be ok - so long as you did still include the OGL and complied with it fully.

Octavious
June 2nd, 2016, 03:30
ok Damned I think I got it.. thanks for the information..

Varsuuk
June 3rd, 2016, 03:37
So, if your Potion Making module is a "home-brew" (pun intended) way to craft the potions in the SRD (plus any you invent vs ones in other WotC sourcebooks) - I suspect this would be OK.

If there were already "potion making instructions" in DMG and these were similar/derivative, then I guess the answer is it would be not allowed.

Way I figure it, if you aren't sure and already have it created - post what the module covers for feedback or if anyone at WoTC or here is amenable, send official folks a preview or something. But that's just ME talking, I have no clue how to vet and am pretty sure folks at SW are pretty busy atm what with Unity and revenue stream work on other modules etc.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2016, 11:12
In keeping with the philosophy of 5e the crafting rules in the DMG are fairly basic and simply talk about a time period and a cost for crafting magic items. There's no specifics as to what materials might be required etc. So if your potion recipes contains stuff like 'take the eye of a newt and the skin of a frog and mix it with some tears of a salamander' then you are fine. As far as I can see the SRD contains nothing at all about crafting potions.

If you have any concerns about copyright then I'd suggest placing the module in Dropbox and send me or [email protected] a link to it so that someone can look it over before it gets distributed.

Octavious
June 4th, 2016, 01:40
Thank you Zacchaeus and Varsuuk, Ill put a copy when I'm done in the drop box and maybe you can tell me if I'm violating anything.