PDA

View Full Version : XML encoding

Varsuuk
May 12th, 2016, 01:42
Does anyone know if a db.xml file can be created with UTF-8 and the "funny" characters like the the ^-u in Faerun show correctly in FG.

Pretty sure no, since I recall talk about it being a problem except I don't recall if the issue was just I parse or the FG rendering/encoding end.

Moon Wizard
May 12th, 2016, 01:48
The FG engine only supports characters in the 32-255 range, and is assumed to be Latin-1 encoding.

I'm not sure how the current XML engine will treat the extra characters, but I assume they will be mapped to some sort of unknown character.

Regards,
JPG

Varsuuk
May 12th, 2016, 03:58
no problem, wanted to check in case my generated output needed special encoding options. instead I will load a "replacements" config with a default noticeable char for us caught text to make proofreading easier.

valeros
May 12th, 2016, 06:23
Just stuff I ran across with the 4E Compendium parser and the 5E PDF parser.

I did not have to replace characters in the 4E parser as everything seemed to work. For example, "Faerūn" is specifically in some records such as backgrounds (Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate) and shows correctly in FG.

In the 5E parser, I had to specifically replace the following characters:
"‑" // bad dash found in Yuan‑ti
"−" // bad dash found in HD (e.g., Swarm of Rats (2d8 − 7))
"—" // bad dash found in tables
(This is the good dash, "-")
"•" // bullet
"×" // multiplication
"ū" // Faerūn (yes I realize this seems to be the same character that I just said worked in 4E)