PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Primeval Thule

NotRussellCrowe
May 11th, 2016, 22:58
I'm curious what everyone's opinion of Primeval Thule for 5e is. I've recently come across it and it sounds really great but I haven't found any reviews specifically for 5e and only a few for the setting itself. I read the player Traveler's Guide from RPGDriveThru and it sounds great but doesn't show how it integrates with the 5e rules.

I'm also interested in the 3 adventures it comes with as I have heard they are shorter adventures compared to the WotC published ones that are large campaigns. What levels are the adventures for? Are they a good introduction to the setting?

Mainly my interest is to run created adventures in Thule to start, no idea if I'll build my own. I have not read the campaign book in PDF/print before.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Zacchaeus
May 12th, 2016, 00:10
There's some info and links to reviews in this post https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31216-Primeval-Thule-5E-from-Sasquatch-Game-Studio-is-now-available!

Mask_of_winter
May 12th, 2016, 02:05
If you're looking for a D&D game with a sword&sorcery and lovecraftian flair it's a great setting. If you're looking for a true sword & sorcery experience for 5e, it's complete garbage. Tolkien races, magic item merchants, divine magic and monsters everywhere, say what??

timdog88
May 12th, 2016, 02:25
I bought it last week and just finished reading through it. It is a neat setting with some cool flavor and some new character options for your players. I was really impressed with the presentation of the setting in fantasy grounds. I was easy to read through and having the drag and drop ability will make adding the new options to your game a snap. As far as the 3 adventures go, they look like they would each last about 2 sessions, so maybe 8 hours each for a total of 24 hours of play. Not bad, but definitely not campaign length. I believe that there are some more adventures that were part of the kickstarter that will be converted to fantasy grounds soon. Overall, i would recommend it, and I hope to get a game or 2 in pretty soon.

pauljmendoza
May 12th, 2016, 03:08
I love it personally! Very expansive, and yes I understand they couldn't ditch the core races, but they work pretty well. In our setting there is some houseruling on the Elves, mostly to give them a more melnibonean feel, but we have been having fun with it!

NotRussellCrowe
May 13th, 2016, 13:49
Thanks for your responses, everyone!

tadkil
May 14th, 2016, 01:14
I am a big fan of the work of Sasquatch Game Studio. Princes of the Apocalypse is rock solid and representative of their work. The setting includes a great palette of monsters with many drawn directly from the Cthulhu mythos. They translate well into any 5E game. The adventures included alone are worth the price of the book and can be ported into any campaign. Included in the setting is the city of Quodeth. You can port that in directly and have a fully supported city complete with area maps and descriptions to run. I'd argue that it is the strongest non-Wizards supplement in the store right now. You get a bunch of great shareable arts and maps, a ton of class options, good adventures, monsters and a very flavorful setting. Recommended.