PDA

View Full Version : Steam versus Client purchases

Ravenclaw74
May 10th, 2016, 23:42
I have not purchased Fantasy Grounds yet, but I plan to very soon. There is an important question I need answered. One of the main reasons I want to get FG is for Savage Worlds. I plan to buy FG through Steam, but I see quite a few Savage Worlds modules (Fantasy Companion, Horror Companion) not available in Steam. Can I still purchase them through the FG store and use them in Steam, or am I forced to buy FG as a separate client to get all of the modules I want?

Trenloe
May 10th, 2016, 23:53
Steam is simply a front end to the main Fantasy Grounds application - it is the exactly same application if you purchase through Steam or through this website.

The main thing to consider is if you're running on a PC or on a Mac. Whereas the base FG application for a Mac can be installed from Steam, any subsequent DLC cannot be installed for a Mac - you'll need to purchase it from this website. If you're running on a PC, DLC purchased on Steam and this website will install fine, you can buy some on Steam and some on here, they'll operate together.

Nylanfs
May 11th, 2016, 00:28
Also note that if you buy from the storefront here the developers get a larger cut.

Ravenclaw74
May 11th, 2016, 01:39
Thanks guys...that is the biggest question I had. So how does it work? If I buy it ow Steam and purchase modules from this website, how does it load into my Steam FG?

Trenloe
May 11th, 2016, 01:45
Thanks guys...that is the biggest question I had. So how does it work? If I buy it ow Steam and purchase modules from this website, how does it load into my Steam FG?
To get products you've purchased you run the Fantasy Grounds update from within the application. It will connect to the FG website to check your purchases (you'll need to enter your FG account name and password in the update window) and will check steam for purchased DLC (you must have the Steam client application running and logged in on your PC to enable FG to connect to Steam and check your purchases).

Ravenclaw74
May 11th, 2016, 01:48
That sounds pretty easy. So it does not matter whether you purchase from the website or Steam, when you open up FG through Steam, it checks the website and downloads all modules you have purchased.

Trenloe
May 11th, 2016, 02:06
The application is exactly the same, it doesn't matter if you start it through Steam or directly from Windows (Steam is just a front end that starts the same FG application).

When FG starts up, press the "Check for Updates" button if you need to download any recent purchases (as long as you have done what I mention above - added FG username and password, and have The Steam client running and logged in). The button is in the bottom left of the launch screen:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/7/74/Launcher_main.jpg

LordEntrails
May 11th, 2016, 04:18
I have heard that you need to make sure that you use the same email address in the FG store as you use in Steam (and maybe Paypal?). As that is how the two are sync'd.

Nylanfs
May 11th, 2016, 14:14
Although note that to get the completion 5e discount (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/productbundle.php?bundleid=WOTC5EBUNDLE) you need to buy from one location. They can't easily track purchases from site to site.

Ravenclaw74
May 13th, 2016, 00:56
Thanks guys! Just got Fantasy Grounds with the Ultimate License.

damned
May 13th, 2016, 04:43
Thanks guys! Just got Fantasy Grounds with the Ultimate License.

Woohoo! Welcome aboard!