PDA

View Full Version : Confused about individual pieces, and what I need

mbh9700
May 9th, 2016, 23:20
So I thought I bought enough FG to be able to host/play 5E games. I bought the Ultimate Edition on Steam, and the Settings say I have:

3.5E
4E
5E
5E-addons
CoreRPG
FATECore
general-addons
Numenera
PFRPG
VortexGames
WOTC5EDDEX302 (I bought this separately)

But, when I started to look into setting up a game, it seems I'm missing Core Class Pack, Core Monster Pack, DM's Guide.

Q1: What can I do without Core Classes and Monsters? Would I have to build them all myself?

Q2: I also noticed there are a lot of individual "D&D Monster Packs" like Dragons, Fey & Giants, Humanoids, etc. Are all of those included in the Core Monster Pack?

Nylanfs
May 9th, 2016, 23:29
Welcome to the forums and FG Community. The ONLY difference between the Full and Ultimate license is that the ultimate lets people with only the free/demo version connect and play for free. You might be able to get a refund from Steam for the Ultimate DLC if this is not what you were wanting.

The regular license comes with the data that are in the various SRD's (which are the majority of the core books). Go into modules and open the various SRD modules to see your game info.

The various Core packs are a compilations of the various individual packs, or rather the class and monster packs are a small subset of the core packs.

mbh9700
May 9th, 2016, 23:34
Thanks Paul.

What does the 5E and 5E-addons get me then? The 5E SRD then?

If someone buys a module, would it include the monsters that are included in the module, or would it not work without the appropriate monster addon?

Nylanfs
May 10th, 2016, 00:39
The SRD is already included with what you purchased, the Core packs get you the following. that isn't necessarily in the book.

328 fantasy character portraits taken from various official D&D sources
A custom theme derived in the same style as the Player's Handbook
A list of all feats from the Player's Handbook, organized alphabetically and searchable, that can be dragged to a character for ease of reference during play
Reference material and artwork which is not specific to any one particular character class

And each module is complete into itself, unless you get into making encounters from monsters not in the SRD or the module it would be easier to make if you had the MM.

damned
May 10th, 2016, 02:17
The SRD and the Basic Rules are awesome resources.
Basic Rules has 4 fully fleshed out classes and races while the SRD has all the classes and races but not all their options.
They are both included for free in all licensed versions.

The Adventures all contain all the required info to run them which includes all of their monsters.

The Complete books contain all the content from their respective physical books including all the artwork etc.

Start with the SRD/Basic and run thru the module you have.

Lost Mines of Phandelver is an excellent starter adventure for both players and for the a GM new to FG.

In my opinion the best single purchase for 5e is the Complete Core Classes (PHB) and if you want the pre-packaged adventure - Lost Mines of Phandelver.

You can add other things on as your game evolves and you want the extra options such as Monster Manual and Dungeon Masters Guide etc.