PDA

View Full Version : Base ruleset for Exalted 3rd edition

Quorlox
May 8th, 2016, 19:04
I would appreciate suggestions for a base ruleset to use for Exalted 3rd edition. It's a d10 based system where a success on a die is achieved whenever the die rolls a 7 or higher (almost always).

drahkar
May 8th, 2016, 19:55
A growing and recommended practices is to layer your ruleset off of the CoreRPG ruleset and they modify the sections as needed for what you are implementing. It does require a commitment to update though. there are chances that a change to the CoreRPG ruleset in the future could break things and you would need to resolve the issues.

However that being said, it offers a lot of functionality and updates without having to integrate them manually into your ruleset.

Quorlox
May 8th, 2016, 20:49
I am not interested in programming a ruleset, just using something that is available. I know that there is a lot that the CoreRPG ruleset can do through its terminal, but can it be set to count successes based on the number of 7s (or higher) rolled using the GUI? I have some new players and I would like for their FG to be as nice as possible.

damned
May 8th, 2016, 23:45
No - CoreRPG will not count the number of successes.
You might find that the MoreCore extension offers you some additional benefits also.

Quorlox
May 10th, 2016, 22:03
Does MoreCore count successes?

viresanimi
May 10th, 2016, 22:08
No, it doesn't. But you can set up a few things on the character sheet, which makes it easier to roll the dice. But you need to do the counting yourself. Which I can see is annoying, since Exalted is all about rolling ridiculous amounts of dice.

Like you, I would love to see something happen for Exalted with the new edition finally out.

Vires Animi

Nylanfs
May 10th, 2016, 22:46
More than the 36d6 for Shadowrun?

Quorlox
May 10th, 2016, 23:42
Well that sucks. I thought there was a way to do it via chat commands, but I can't find it so maybe I was wrong.

Mask_of_winter
May 11th, 2016, 00:33
How do you count successes when you play face to face?

Quorlox
May 11th, 2016, 00:59
Manually, and if we wanted to replicate that part of a tabletop experience FG would be great. But given the support for things like Pathfinder, which is a lot of fun to play in FG, not being able to do something as simple as counting successes is a bit disappointing.

Trenloe
May 11th, 2016, 01:33
I'm sure this extension could be modified to count successes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22637-DMFirmy-s-Drop-Lowest-Extension

damned
May 11th, 2016, 03:57
No - CoreRPG will not count the number of successes.
You might find that the MoreCore extension offers you some additional benefits also.

Does MoreCore count successes?

Errr no.
:)

damned
May 11th, 2016, 03:59
Support for most dice permutations will be available in the Unity build but that is a fair way off still.

Quorlox
May 11th, 2016, 05:39
Support for most dice permutations will be available in the Unity build but that is a fair way off still.

What's the Unity build?

viresanimi
May 11th, 2016, 09:25
Unity is a game engine which many companies use these days. Much like the unreal og dreamworld engines. However these can be very expensive to use for the most part except Unity which does have some cheaper licencing options.

It is basically a powerful platform which should improve performance and enable Smiteworks to implement features which isn't possible in the current version of FG.

Vires Animi

Quorlox
May 11th, 2016, 11:30
I am familiar with the Unity gaming engine, but didn't connect it with FG so I thought they had a separate project they were referring to as Unity. Is there someplace I can read more about their goals for using Unity?

Nylanfs
May 11th, 2016, 13:36
If we told you we'd have to kill you. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine)

damned
May 11th, 2016, 14:03
The initial Unity Port aims to deliver exactly the same look and feel as the current platform but with better graphics, networking, multi-threading etc support.
Then they will add in some more features with a couple of major possibilities including 3d mapping/tokens and easy character sheet builders for any game. These will be heavily influenced by Carl from Table Top Connect.
Then again - this is old info and who knows what we will see when it comes... :)

Nylanfs
May 11th, 2016, 15:02
It's old info, but isn't collected in any one place.

Trenloe
May 12th, 2016, 00:17
I checked in with DMFirmy (the creator of the drop lowest extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22637-DMFirmy-s-Drop-Lowest-Extension)I mentioned above) and he was very happy for me to do a quick success reporting extension based off the framework he used in his extension. Thanks very much DMFirmy! :)

Attached is a very basic success reporting extension. This should work in all rulesets based on CoreRPG and uses a basic slashhandler to roll dice and report on the number of successes.

Download the attached CountSuccesses.ext file and install in your <FG App Data>\extensions directory.
Load up a CoreRPG based campaign and select the "Count Successes" extension.
Once in your campaign you can use the success count extension through a slash command in the chat window - see usage below.

Usage

Use the /successes chat slashhandler as follows:

/successes XdY Z Where XdY is the dice string to roll, e.g. 5d10, 25d12, etc. and Z is the target success number (each dice equal to or above this number will be counted as a success).

Fantasy Grounds will count the number of successes and report these in the chat window as part of the roll result.

For example: /successes 10d10 7 will roll ten 10 sided dice and report the total number of dice that were 7 or more.

Example screenshot:

There's no further integration into any ruleset, this is just a quick extension to show what can be done - and to provide some use to people who want this basic functionality.

The /successes string can be dragged to a FG hotkey to allow quick rolling of frequently used rolls.

damned
May 12th, 2016, 05:44
Dammit. Cant you give more XP today. Well done (as always) Trenloe!