PDA

View Full Version : Issues connecting a Free version to an Ultimate version

Zepherus
May 7th, 2016, 03:42
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, or point me in the right direction. And, I hope I'm getting this asked correctly, as I'm sending this email from a different machine than my network (so I'm bouncing between machines a bit).

I run a game using laptops plugged into a LAN router. Until recently, I had 4 laptops running Lite/Full licenses, connecting to my laptop running an Ultimate license that was upgraded from a Full license a few months ago. As happens with groups, we recently added 2 new players, bringing the party to 6 players. To make everything work, I have to shut off my wireless internet connection, as does pretty much everyone (some of the laptops can connect to the LAN while leaving their wireless running, others cannot). That's fine for the licensed laptops, but the Free ones will not connect.

I get the "Network error during host license check" error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zepherus

LordEntrails
May 7th, 2016, 03:48
I believe that an ultimate license host has to have internet connection when they start up the campaign. From what I've read elsewhere, once the ultimate license is validated to the SW server, you can then disconnect and then the demo license players can connect.

Andraax
May 7th, 2016, 03:51
The demo (free) versions need to connect to the SmiteWorks server to validate the ultimate license. Once they've connected, you can shut off your internet connection.

Zepherus
May 7th, 2016, 03:56
On the laptop running the free version, I have it plugged into the LAN, and the wireless connections active, yet I am still getting the "host license check" error. Is it "smart" enough to connect through the LAN, but do the license check across the wireless?

Zepherus
May 7th, 2016, 04:03
I just tried to uninstall / reinstall FG on the demo side, and I am getting a "HandleFile Unable to save file (steam_api.dll)" error.

Zepherus
May 7th, 2016, 04:13
I got past that little problem, and I discovered something that may help. I can connect to the internet through Chrome just fine, but if I try to run the FG Update, it acts like there is no internet connection.

LordEntrails
May 7th, 2016, 04:46
I wish I knew enough to help. I assume the connection test still fails? I do know sometimes if people are in Asian countries they can have trouble with their IP addresses getting blocked from the SW server.

damned
May 7th, 2016, 04:48
When connecting to a game on the LAN connect to the Internal IP or LAN IP Address of the host computer.
The Alias or external IP will not work in most cases.

I dont understand why you have an active LAN and active WiFi connection? It is not required to be setup that way.
If you want some help send me a PM.

Moon Wizard
May 7th, 2016, 05:31
FG always selects the first network interface returned by the OS. If you need to disable an interface to force it to use a different one, you'll actually have to disable the other network interfaces in the Windows Device Manager.

Regards,
JPG

Zepherus
May 7th, 2016, 13:31
I generally turn off wireless on the laptops, as it's not needed.

However, it sounds like FG needs to first connect to the server machine via the LAN to see that it is running an Ultimate license, and then it needs to connect to the FG server via internet connection to validate said license. So it would need to have both connections active, but FG can only use one connection.

If this assumption is correct, then having the Ultimate license will not work for my home group.

I will send a PM to damned when I am home and able to look into this further.

Thanks again,

Zepherus

LordEntrails
May 7th, 2016, 16:52
FG always selects the first network interface returned by the OS. If you need to disable an interface to force it to use a different one, you'll actually have to disable the other network interfaces in the Windows Device Manager.

Regards,
JPG
Do note that you can re-order the networks in the registry. I've had to do that for FlexLM licensing with other applications. If you need to do that, let me know and I can Google the instructions for you.

Zepherus
May 11th, 2016, 02:38
I swear I'm going to get back to this issue...of all the times work issues sprang to life, it had to be when I am trying to get this running. :cry:

Zepherus
May 22nd, 2016, 15:54
PM has been sent to damned. Once I have some answers, I'll be sure to post the results in case anyone has the same issue.