PDA

View Full Version : Effect Code for custom rage feature

ppostel
May 6th, 2016, 01:27
Okay, I am a newbie to FG and this is my first post. I think effects is one of the best features of FG. The backstory for two of my players is that their PCs must make a Wisdom save vs DC 15 whenever they see a Ubri (a customer monster of mine...Ubri killed both of their families).

If the Wisdom save is failed, they must immediately move to the nearest Ubri and engage in melee combat with it. If their move doesn't take them within range, they must move on subsequent turns until they get in melee range.

Any enemies in melee range gain advantage on attack rolls against the PCs. They suffer disadvantage but if their crit range is lowered to natural 15+.

At the beginning of each one of their turns they can make another Wisdom save vs DC 15. If they make it, they can cease raging. After 5 turns the rage automatically ends.

I am not sure how to code the advantage, disadvantage, lowered crit range, and the effect automatically ending after 5 rounds.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I am also going to look at some examples and see if I can puzzle it out.

Thanks all!

- Paul

Nylanfs
May 6th, 2016, 02:58
Welcome to the forums and FG community!

Hopefully somebody will be along to help that is more familiar with the effects.

spite
May 6th, 2016, 03:49
Okay, I am a newbie to FG and this is my first post. I think effects is one of the best features of FG. The backstory for two of my players is that their PCs must make a Wisdom save vs DC 15 whenever they see a Ubri (a customer monster of mine...Ubri killed both of their families).

If the Wisdom save is failed, they must immediately move to the nearest Ubri and engage in melee combat with it. If their move doesn't take them within range, they must move on subsequent turns until they get in melee range.

Any enemies in melee range gain advantage on attack rolls against the PCs. They suffer disadvantage but if their crit range is lowered to natural 15+.

At the beginning of each one of their turns they can make another Wisdom save vs DC 15. If they make it, they can cease raging. After 5 turns the rage automatically ends.

I am not sure how to code the advantage, disadvantage, lowered crit range, and the effect automatically ending after 5 rounds.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I am also going to look at some examples and see if I can puzzle it out.

Thanks all!

- Paul
This will work if you set up an effect with the below effect in the effect line, target: self, duration 5 round, and SHIFT DRAG IT ONTO THE UBRI during the players turn, that player will get the adv/dis adv effects.
I am not sure if crit range can be changed in effects, but you can either set up a weapon with a crit range variable in its properties, or simply get your players to hold shift+roll damage when their hit is a natural 15 or more. Holding shift when rolling damage in this manner will roll as if it were a critical hit.

<title of this effect>;GRANTADVATK: melee;DISATK: melee;

spite
May 6th, 2016, 03:56
It should be noted that the above only works if you set up a power from the players sheet. If you want to do it yourself, simply set up the duration as 5 round in your effects tracker (as the DM), drag it onto the player that you want to have this effect, and then as you can see when you expand the effects list on the combat tracker, you can drag the crosshairs symbol (pictured https://puu.sh/oHRxE/18e5503e12.jpg) onto the target, in this case, the Ubri and it will work as intended.

Zacchaeus
May 6th, 2016, 12:57
For more information of effect targeting see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Effect_Targeting).

You can't change crit range in effects but as spite says you can change that in the weapons section. Set up a new weapon and give it the property crit range 15. Just make sure that your players only use it when they should. Otherwise as spite says use the SHIFT+ damage to do a manual critical when they roll a 15.

ppostel
May 6th, 2016, 14:04
Thank you, Zacchaeus and spite. I am grateful for the help.

Can a forced Wisdom save be included in the effect, or is that only for effects caused by spells?

Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
May 6th, 2016, 14:55
You can't create an effect that forces a Wisdom saving throw (or any other kind of save for that matter). In any case the forced save will have to come from the NPC rather than from the PC. You could create an action on the NPC which would have wording like 'Target must make a DC 15 Wisdom Saving throw' and when the NPC is placed on the Combat Tracker this will show up in their attacks and you could drag the 'attack' onto the PCs to force the save.

ppostel
May 7th, 2016, 01:25
Thanks. That seems more complicated than just having the player roll for it.

I really appreciate the help. I am sure I will more questions in the future!

Thanks again!