PDA

View Full Version : Numenera Ruleset Upgrade

Stryfe484
May 5th, 2016, 14:41
Are there any plans to update the Numenera Ruleset? You could change the name to Cypher System and update the mechanics to be fully functional.
I've only noticed one thing as I've only used it twice. The pools don't auto update when you use an ability. There may be more, but I'd have to play with it more to find out. I don't know if the targeting works to apply damage. Likewise, idk if armor reduces damage as it should. Anywhere I can go to find this information? The wiki is pretty empty, so I'm not sure where to find the info.

Moon Wizard
May 5th, 2016, 19:37
The Numenera ruleset is being updated with core feature improvements, but no current plans to update Cypher specific functionality.

The current ruleset was a side project I worked on when my group was running a Numenera campaign a few years ago. Currently, it just doesn't have the demand or official support to justify spending much time on it. If we got an official license with MCG with the opportunity to offer DLC, we would definitely revisit.

I envision a Cypher ruleset as a new base ruleset, like CoreRPG. From there, the ruleset could be written to adapt records to a particular setting through extensions, ruleset options or layered rulesets.

For the current features:
* The pools don't auto-update, because many powers offer optional boosting options to spend more points. So, it's left as manual.
* The targeting does work to apply damage, and dies adjust for armor. Make sure that your targets are added to the combat tracker before applying damage.

The wiki has not been updated, because there is no one actively working on it (other than core features) as mentioned above. Anybody can submit content to one of the moderators to have it added to the wiki, if you're interested.

Regards,
JPG

Stryfe484
May 6th, 2016, 02:00
The Numenera ruleset is being updated with core feature improvements, but no current plans to update Cypher specific functionality.

The current ruleset was a side project I worked on when my group was running a Numenera campaign a few years ago. Currently, it just doesn't have the demand or official support to justify spending much time on it. If we got an official license with MCG with the opportunity to offer DLC, we would definitely revisit.

I envision a Cypher ruleset as a new base ruleset, like CoreRPG. From there, the ruleset could be written to adapt records to a particular setting through extensions, ruleset options or layered rulesets.

For the current features:
* The pools don't auto-update, because many powers offer optional boosting options to spend more points. So, it's left as manual.
* The targeting does work to apply damage, and dies adjust for armor. Make sure that your targets are added to the combat tracker before applying damage.

The wiki has not been updated, because there is no one actively working on it (other than core features) as mentioned above. Anybody can submit content to one of the moderators to have it added to the wiki, if you're interested.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm hoping to get them interested in supporting fantasy grounds. Well find out soon, I hope!

Talyn
May 9th, 2016, 16:16
Brand new FG user and also new Numenera player/GM. Numenera is pretty much the reason I got FG so I'm definitely excited for more development of the ruleset.

One thing, and maybe it's just me being so new to FG in general. Say I have a Nano who has the Onslaught esotery. I can add it to the Abilities section of the character sheet where I can specify the Intellect cost of 1 (which is unfortunately not yet automated, I saw the note above) or I can add it to the Combat section where it will do the 4 damage. But I can't make it do both at once.

Stryfe484
May 9th, 2016, 20:16
Brand new FG user and also new Numenera player/GM. Numenera is pretty much the reason I got FG so I'm definitely excited for more development of the ruleset.

One thing, and maybe it's just me being so new to FG in general. Say I have a Nano who has the Onslaught esotery. I can add it to the Abilities section of the character sheet where I can specify the Intellect cost of 1 (which is unfortunately not yet automated, I saw the note above) or I can add it to the Combat section where it will do the 4 damage. But I can't make it do both at once.

I noticed that as well. I've just been putting it in both. One to keep track of and the other for use in battle. If I had time to learn some programming, I would love to update this ruleset.

Talyn
May 9th, 2016, 20:18
I noticed that as well. I've just been putting it in both. One to keep track of and the other for use in battle. If I had time to learn some programming, I would love to update this ruleset.

I'm doing the same thing, and I've got Notepad++ fired up reading all these Lua and XML files. I haven't worked with Lua since WoW mods about 10 years ago lol so attempting to re-learn some of this stuff.

Talyn
May 16th, 2016, 17:52

Can extensions do that? I'm still very new to FG but so far all I've seen are that extensions just do a little "fluffy" thing like an extra desktop decal option, or the "mood lighting" or "weather" extensions.

Say the player creates a game with a Cypher System ruleset could an Extention be powerful enough on its own to say load in all the Numenera-specific stuff (names of the character Types, Numenera-only bestiary, whatever) along with maybe changing the icons to a Numenera look? Or would that require a full Numenera module? (Same for The Strange obviously.)

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 17:57
It could be an extension or a new ruleset layer on top of the base Cypher ruleset. It's going to be the same amount of coding in either the extension or ruleset, but the layering does provide a little more flexibility to break out setting specific code and data handling.

Regards,
JPG

Stryfe484
May 16th, 2016, 20:11
It could be an extension or a new ruleset layer on top of the base Cypher ruleset. It's going to be the same amount of coding in either the extension or ruleset, but the layering does provide a little more flexibility to break out setting specific code and data handling.

Regards,
JPG

If I get the chance, I would love to learn how to program this stuff. I love Fantasy Grounds and I really want to see some Cypher System support.
I'm currently working on a conversion, but I will start learning how to program for Fantasy Grounds afterward.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 21:34
The current Numenera ruleset layers on top of the CoreRPG framework, and is pretty simple from a ruleset perspective; so it will be a good one to pick apart. Just make a copy of the contents of the Numenera.pak file (just a zip file with a different extension) into a folder called Cypher in the rulesets directory for the FG data folder. Then, get a good text editor with multi-file search, and give it a whirl.

Regards,
JPG

Talyn
May 16th, 2016, 21:48
Right, I just haven't fully learned like, "an Extension is for [this]" and "[Something Else] is for [that]" and looking at the existing Extensions doesn't do a good job of telling me an Extension can do a full setting-specific rules insertion on top of a ruleset. But maybe that's just because no one's done it yet?

Like say, Savage Worlds. I was kinda hoping that, say I bought Deadlands or [insert SW setting here] that it would also do the full "skinning" of the UI but it "seems" (simply judging from screenshots since I haven't actually bought a SW setting yet) it's just like some library entries and tables and stuff giving the GM the setting rules but doesn't give any setting-specific flavor to the desktop?

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 21:56
Actually, many of the Savage Worlds settings are comprised of both modules and extensions. All the SW extensions added theming components, but several of them also add additional functionality as well.

The whole SW ruleset/extension approach was built prior to layered rulesets being available, so there are actually 2 ways to do this now, which is what I was referring to above.

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
May 16th, 2016, 21:59
Some pointers to get you started here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset Just replace CoreRPG with Numenera. However, you do have the additional confusion of some code/layouts will be in CoreRPG and some will be in Numenera which, as MW mentioned, runs on top of CoreRPG.

And, as fair warning, there's no avoiding the fact that you're going to have to learn stuff, pull apart existing code (that is where your best examples are) and spend many hours getting up to speed. There is no fast-track nor step-by-step, detailed documentation to lead you hand-by-hand through this.

Talyn
May 16th, 2016, 22:08
Yeah and I'm cool with (re)learning Lua (haven't touched it since '05 or so) and learning XML. I was hoping Lost Mine of Phandelver would give me an assist. I really like stuff like that Pregen frame that pops the characters into the actual Characters frame with a click. Or the overall coloring and customizing the all the frames and desktop from the standard yellow that the 5E ruleset does. But far as I can tell, LMoP is something customized and not available to have the source peeked at.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 22:11
I would actually use the current Numenera as the baseline for a brand new Cypher ruleset, and then eventually phase over the Numenera ruleset to layer on the new Cypher ruleset. (Or just make Numenera a setting extension for Cypher.)

Cheers,
JPG

Talyn
May 16th, 2016, 22:14
I haven't found any to help me learn/test FG with the Numenera ruleset. Does it handle GM Intrusions at all or is that a manual thing for now? I was thinking since Savage Worlds does Bennies that it's certainly possible to have the GM give the XP (maybe a Confirm dialogue for the player to refuse it if he has 1XP to spend) and automate the XP budget on everyone's character sheet. Same when that player has to donate 1 of the XP to another player. Maybe it's already in there, I haven't delved into it much yet.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2016, 22:47
It does not handle XP expenditure, or GM intrusion automatically. Those seemed to be semi-social components of the game system, so it seemed like they should remain amorphous.

The ruleset does show a special red icon when a 1 is rolled to indicate GM intrusion.

Regards,
JPG

Stryfe484
May 17th, 2016, 00:14
The current Numenera ruleset layers on top of the CoreRPG framework, and is pretty simple from a ruleset perspective; so it will be a good one to pick apart. Just make a copy of the contents of the Numenera.pak file (just a zip file with a different extension) into a folder called Cypher in the rulesets directory for the FG data folder. Then, get a good text editor with multi-file search, and give it a whirl.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

Stryfe484
July 30th, 2016, 01:50
Did the Numenera ruleset get an update recently? I thought I rememberd a spot to set the difficulty for skill checks, but it is missing now. Anybody have any information?

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2016, 02:55
There hasn't been an update to the Numenera ruleset. The result of each roll shows the difficulty class overcome by that roll.

Regards,
JPG

Stryfe484
July 30th, 2016, 03:27
Thanks, Moon Wizard. I don't know why I thought that feature was there. I knew about the roll result, but I could have sworn there was something else. Thanks for the clarification!

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 11:44
I've been playing around with this ruleset and have approached changes from two angles. One is data, the other is functionality. For me, just the ruleset on its own does make things sparse. So I added a bunch of modules, Bestiary, Armor, Weapons, Cyphers. That let me drag and drop stuff to the character sheet and in the case of Bestiary, to the combat tracker. Sped things up and took away a load of tedious stuff.

It also let me identify things in the character sheet that were still an issue for me. So the second approach was to look to change those things that were Numenera specific over to Cypher System. I picked the easy stuff and have been just taking small steps, small changes. The part of the ruleset I have changed so far is on the Inventory tab as that was my biggest issue. First was adding more types so now I can mark an item as an asset or gear as well as the other options. That's personal preference but it does make it easier to spot the assets for example.

Next change was the Cyphers. Removed the Anoetic, Occultic and changed to Manifest and Subtle. Removed the 2 point cost, so all cyphers are 1 point cost. I added an extra cypher state of "Cypher Bag". So if you own this artifact (I think it is from Numenera rules), you can set the cypher to being in the cypher bag and it automatically has no cost. I realise this last one is just my own take on things, but was fun and helped me to learn the ruleset and Lua. I also removed the numbers from the text so the display is just "Manifest", "Subtle", "Cypher Bag", "Used".

I am thinking of changing this column to "Active", "Cypher bag" (or "Stored"), "Used" and then add an additional field to the item to store the cypher type instead.

I am also looking at the Actions Tab but taking things slowly. Want to change the Armor part as that is not how it works in Cypher System.

Just thought I would pass on that someone is playing with it, not sure how far I will get :-)

One final thing, If anyone can point me in the right direction, I want to copy the table that is used by 3.5e, pathfinder and 5e that displays equipment, weapons and armor. Tried but I am missing something. Would be great to add this in so it can be used when creating the equipment module.

Stryfe484
October 1st, 2016, 13:51
I've been playing around with this ruleset and have approached changes from two angles. One is data, the other is functionality. For me, just the ruleset on its own does make things sparse. So I added a bunch of modules, Bestiary, Armor, Weapons, Cyphers. That let me drag and drop stuff to the character sheet and in the case of Bestiary, to the combat tracker. Sped things up and took away a load of tedious stuff.

It also let me identify things in the character sheet that were still an issue for me. So the second approach was to look to change those things that were Numenera specific over to Cypher System. I picked the easy stuff and have been just taking small steps, small changes. The part of the ruleset I have changed so far is on the Inventory tab as that was my biggest issue. First was adding more types so now I can mark an item as an asset or gear as well as the other options. That's personal preference but it does make it easier to spot the assets for example.

Next change was the Cyphers. Removed the Anoetic, Occultic and changed to Manifest and Subtle. Removed the 2 point cost, so all cyphers are 1 point cost. I added an extra cypher state of "Cypher Bag". So if you own this artifact (I think it is from Numenera rules), you can set the cypher to being in the cypher bag and it automatically has no cost. I realise this last one is just my own take on things, but was fun and helped me to learn the ruleset and Lua. I also removed the numbers from the text so the display is just "Manifest", "Subtle", "Cypher Bag", "Used".

I am thinking of changing this column to "Active", "Cypher bag" (or "Stored"), "Used" and then add an additional field to the item to store the cypher type instead.

I am also looking at the Actions Tab but taking things slowly. Want to change the Armor part as that is not how it works in Cypher System.

Just thought I would pass on that someone is playing with it, not sure how far I will get :-)

One final thing, If anyone can point me in the right direction, I want to copy the table that is used by 3.5e, pathfinder and 5e that displays equipment, weapons and armor. Tried but I am missing something. Would be great to add this in so it can be used when creating the equipment module.

That sounds amazing! Thanks for giving it a look. I'm still waiting for MCG to respond to me on several emails I've sent them.
I have put some modules in mine, but I don't know how to tweak things the way you have. Bravo!

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 14:11
The ruleset is definitely harder, simply because changes need to be made across more than one file, that can be both xml and lua. Once I've done a few more things, I could upload the ruleset I have worked on? Am I allowed to share it legally?

Don't want to break any rules.

damned
October 1st, 2016, 14:19
Hi joeblack1863 if its a ruleset - and not a reference manual you can share it.

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 14:40
Thanks damned,

I'll play a bit more and then see if I can upload it, not sure how as there only appears to be a image link rather than file link.

damned
October 1st, 2016, 14:50
Thanks damned,

I'll play a bit more and then see if I can upload it, not sure how as there only appears to be a image link rather than file link.

You probably dont have permission to upload as yet... you need about a dozen posts.... :)

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 15:14
LOL, I guess I'll have to see if I can add a few. Here is a picture of the Inventory screen with the current changes, if it posts...

Stryfe484
October 1st, 2016, 16:32
LOL, I guess I'll have to see if I can add a few. Here is a picture of the Inventory screen with the current changes, if it posts...

Very cool! I really appreciate your hard work and I look forward to testing what you've done so far!

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 18:51
If you're changing the base ruleset I'd recommend you do this as an extension to the Numenera ruleset - so your changes aren't overwritten by FG updates and your code can still be used with existing campaigns made for Numenera.

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 20:57
Hi Trenloe,

I just followed some advice from one of the senior posters on here. I copied and unzipped the Numenera ruleset in to a folder in the rulesets folder. I renamed the folder / ruleset "Cypher System" and then worked on this copy.

I am not going to get involved in a full on development, the changes I am making were originally only for my own benefit.

But then I thought that some of the stuff I had done may be of use to the community so I decided to post here to let people know.

I am still playing around, just changed the currency panel over to the price category that Cypher System uses (and also changed the armor so it works as Cypher System).

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 21:26
I thought I'd add a picture of the work I mentioned in my previous post. It is the update to the inventory tab that has changed the currency frame:

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2016, 21:32
After the Cypher System came out, I thought it would be great to rebuild everything as a Cypher ruleset with Numenera and Strange rulesets layered on top. However, without an official MCG relationship, it just doesn't make sense for me to spend the time to rewrite at this point. We've reached out to them several times.

I think your approach is the best, which is to take the Numenera ruleset and generalize it for Cypher.

Cheers,
JPG

joeblack1863
October 1st, 2016, 21:46
Thank you Moon Wizard!

I really am just starting out (been looking at this only in the last few days) and have found it fairly straight forward. The only down side is not knowing all the elements and there properties and the guesswork involved. But I take the attitude that I will keep at it, small increments and learn as I go along.

Here is a change I made to the Armor system to match how Cypher System works with Armor. The first image is the change to the Actions tab.

The second is the change that makes to the main character tab for the speed pool (displaying the extra effort). Unfortunately it is only display, doesn't apply the change.

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2016, 21:54
That's exactly the way that I recommend to approach any ruleset modifications or extension building. Just make incremental changes to do what you want in your games, and if you end up working on it a lot, you'll be building much larger changes in no time.

When I first started using FG, I wanted a more full featured rulesets for 3.5E and 4E, so I built my own. Eventually, everyone else was using it too, and I brought it in as the official 3.5E and 4E rulesets when I joined the FG team.

Cheers,
JPG

joeblack1863
October 2nd, 2016, 13:29
Just wanted to check this with you Moon Wizard (JPG).

I am scratching an itch when it comes to modules, namely equipment tables. I have taken your work from 3.5e and copied over the ref_equipment_lists.xml. I am re-engineering this to work with Cypher System and it has been straight forward with only one "herding cats" moment which was actually down to me not thinking logically.

My question is, are you okay with this being included in the Cypher System ruleset if I upload it to share. My aim would be to allow module creation to include creating tables for Armor, Weapons, Gear, Bestiary, Cyphers.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2016, 06:31
Well, here's the issue, and why I never published any modules:

From my interpretation (which may or may not be correct, only lawyers really know), the CUP (Community Use Policy) from MCG (Monte Cook Games) states that you can only use the names and not any of the detail for the items listed in the rulebook. (i.e. you could use the cypher name, but not any detail as to what it did) At least, this was the CUP at the time I looked at it after Numenera was launched, but before The Strange launched. So, it might have changed. What this meant was that the modules that could be released were so limited in what they provided, they were little better than typing the names yourself. So, barring an official agreement with MCG to sell the official material, it didn't really make sense to spend much time on it.

That also means, since it's considered copyright material (as far as we know), that we would have to take down any modules posted on the forum.

Perhaps you can add your voice over on the MCG site to push for an official release?

Regards,
JPG

joeblack1863
October 3rd, 2016, 07:32
Understand, but I think I didn't explain myself properly.

No modules, no copyrighted data. The equipment tables are just the empty shells, and anyone who wants to use them in their own personal modules can then do so. I have created the tables for Armor and Weapons so far, they are empty, but I can use them to create a module that contains the armor and weapons (for my own use) in the table format.

I will definitely go over to MCG and see if I can get their attention.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2016, 07:56
Cool, just wanted to make sure we were on same page, before you spent a bunch of time making a wonderfully complete module. In these cases, I usually just enter what I need to keep my game going. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

Zhern
October 5th, 2016, 16:55
I would definitely love to see a generic Cypher System ruleset with the different subsets of The Strange, Numenera, etc., but definitely understand that without an official relationship there isn't really a motivation to redo the current implementation. Hopefully, some arrangement can be arrived at officially, or, barring that, a community project (which appears to be in flight, but not sure if it is just for personal use or not as I didn't read the entire thread).

joeblack1863
October 5th, 2016, 18:48
Hi Zhern, my efforts are personal. I started doing stuff with the ruleset out of curiosity and just wanting to see what I could achieve. I don't have the time to take this seriously, I just do small changes. That doesn't mean the changes haven't made any difference because I find, for me, they have. It also doesn't mean I won't upload them, because I will if people want to take a look and maybe even try to make even more changes. I don't have any right over them, not even the one I have changed. So if you want to take a look, happy to upload (once I figure out how and if I can)

One other point though, the only way these rules will end up properly on FG is if MCG supports them. The ruleset takes you only so far, it's the modules that really add to it, and they are copyright material.

So, as Moon Wizard has said, go to MCG website and the contact page, I then chose the General Inquiry contact form and let them know I wanted them to start producing modules and ruleset for there game, just like 5e. This is really the only way this will happen, if enough people are asking for this, then it may move up the pile to "financially viable". But with no contacts requesting this it will be looked at as not likely to succeed and nothing will happen.

Zhern
October 6th, 2016, 00:01
Thanks for the reply, joeblack1863, and for the clarification. I'll definitely reach out to MCG and let them know that there is interest from their fans for FG support for Numenera and The Strange, including modules.

Archamus
December 17th, 2016, 03:28
I added my voice to the list over at montecook games for fantasy grounds content. I really love this system, but not have a more robust setup and materials in fantasy grounds makes it a harder sell for my fantasy grounds only gaming group.

Also, I'm really interested in any progress you've made with your changes if you're still working on it.

LindseyFan
December 17th, 2016, 04:47
I'd play it if it was on FG. It seems like a fascinating concept.

damned
December 17th, 2016, 05:07
It is on FG... have a look in Create Campaigns...
Its just not a licensed ruleset and it doesnt have huge amounts of bells and whistles.

darrenan
November 25th, 2018, 23:49
I have taken on the mantle of active community developer of the Cypher System/Numenera/The Strange ruleset(s) released as part of Fantasy Grounds. Moon Wizard has granted me permissions to check code into their repository, and I have been furiously doing so. Here's what I have done so far:

- Created a new Cypher System base ruleset using the current Numenera ruleset as a starting point.
- Added automation for applying Effort and deducting Effort cost from stat pools. This functionality takes Edge, assets, modifiers, wound level and the 'dazed' effect into account as part of the calculations done when the dice are rolled. Every skill, attack and ability now has one of the three stats associated with it. There is a new desktop control next to the Modifier box that lets you specify the level of Effort to use on the next die roll.
- The Numenera ruleset is now just a thin layer on top of Cypher System.
- Created a ruleset for The Strange on top of Cypher System as well. This ruleset adds translation/recursion functionality to the character sheet so you don't need to manage a separate character sheet for each recursion. Items, attacks and abilities now have the ability to be associated with a specific recursion, and those that are specific to a recursion will be hidden while not on that recursion. The GM can edit the global list of recursions, but each player can select the 'current' recursion for their character from the GM-defined list, as well as a special 'All' item used to see everything when editing your character.

The situation with MCG has not changed. I will not be releasing any libraries containing copyrighted content.

I have a backlog of changes that I want to get done to both Cypher System and The Strange rulesets and I will be receptive to suggestions from the community as well.

Hopefully I can get this first round of changes out as part of 3.3.7.

Talyn
November 26th, 2018, 00:39
DUUUUDE!!!

You, sir, are the hero we both need and deserve! :)

Valyar
November 26th, 2018, 09:34
Good news. Is this going to be commercially available or it will remain distributed as it currently is?

damned
November 26th, 2018, 09:35
Good news. Is this going to be commercially available or it will remain distributed as it currently is?

There will be no content available for the ruleset.

Stryfe484
November 26th, 2018, 11:28
Wow! This sounds great!

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2018, 22:12
As mentioned in darrenan's post, we do not have permission from the publisher (MCG) to provide or sell any material for the Cypher System settings. These improvements will be purely related to handling the mechanics of these systems along with sheet changes to match.

Regards,
JPG

darrenan
December 3rd, 2018, 22:26
I would really really appreciate it if some of you Numenera GMs out there could switch over the test channel and try loading and messing around in your existing campaigns (including joining as a player) to make sure I haven't broken anything in the process of creating two rulesets out of one. As always, back up your campaign folder first so you don't lose anything.

Thanks

P.S. Feel free to also send me feedback on the new features. Love'em? Hate'em? Have a better way to do it? Either way, I'd like to hear.

Valyar
December 17th, 2018, 08:51
What is the status of this new update of the Numenera ruleset and will it include changes introduced in the new release of Numenera? (if any, I admit I didn't check the new release)

darrenan
December 17th, 2018, 17:28
I believe 3.3.7 is going out tomorrow. Once you update to 3.3.7, you will see three rulesets instead of one: Cypher System, Numenera, and The Strange.

I don't believe there are any changes to core mechanics in the new books. I've glossed over them once and did see anything really different.

Keep in mind that SmiteWorks does not have a license to include any copyrighted material, so these are just the rule system. It does not include descriptors, foci, creatures, items, etc.

damned
December 17th, 2018, 21:57
darrenan there has been some chat on other platforms that MCG may i fact be willing to license but dont have the resources to do a FG implementation themselves... it might be worth making some approach to Darcy @ MCG and making a gentle inquiry...

Talyn
December 17th, 2018, 22:10
That was probably me who said that. I had a brief chat with Darcy last year (or was it earlier this year? A mind is a terrible thing to waste...) then referred her to Doug and The Gang.

I kinda got the vibe that they were under the incorrect impression that they would be responsible for coding the DLC, which is obviously not in their wheelhouse. But Darcy herself seemed interested in getting some Fantasy Grounds action happening. But once I passed her on to Doug, I never bothered to continue sticking my nose into the situation.

Valyar
December 19th, 2018, 07:39
What are the updated features of the Numenera ruleset and the functionalities of the Strange and Cyper system ones?

Moon Wizard
December 19th, 2018, 17:09
I think it includes what darrenan mentioned in post #46.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31333-Numenera-Ruleset-Upgrade&p=415557&viewfull=1#post415557

Regards,
JPG

darrenan
December 19th, 2018, 19:17
Indeed. If there is anything that isn't clear, or could use more explanation please let me know.

Blahness98
December 22nd, 2018, 21:15
Any way the allow drag and drop for abilities? I played around with the Numenera rule set (more specifically the Cypher System CRB and Predation) and have a bunch of abilities, types, foci, and descriptors all sitting in a module that I would love to be able to just drag and drop. As I suck royally at following code and reading it let alone writing it, I wasn't able to do much of anything.

Also.. is there a way to have the Training option in the skills area to be blank as default instead of inability? A lot of the abilities from the types (ie Distortion for Adepts) do not have a training level and therefore should not have to have something selected.

Blackfoot
December 23rd, 2018, 05:08
The modules would need to be coded to use the references in the ruleset. If the two don't match.. no drag and drop.
I didn't think there were any actual modules for this ruleset.

Blahness98
December 23rd, 2018, 13:05
I have coded them (at least the abilities) to match what FG uses. I even had to adjust the code recently to account for an ability description change from <description> to <fdesc>. The type, descriptors, and foci aren't coded into the rule set at this time, so those are in a library for informational purposes right now.

darrenan
December 25th, 2018, 19:13
Not exactly sure what you mean by "match what FG uses" since every ruleset is different. The important thing is the <class> associated with each entry in the module, and the format of the XML elements within each item. If you could either post here, or just PM me one example of each of: type, descriptor, and focus, then I could probably whip something up. Drag and drop is already on the backlog of work for the cypher system rulesets, but I haven't begun thinking about the details yet.

Even better would be to send me a simple .mod containing examples of each type of thing you want to be draggable (with any copyrightable content stripped out and replace with dummy text of course) then I would have something to work against. You can just shoot me an email at [email protected] with the .mod attached.

EDIT: I don't see any use of "fdesc" in the CoreRPG or 5E rulesets. What motivated that change? Do you mean type="formattedtext" ?

Blahness98
December 26th, 2018, 04:26
Yeah, reading over my response, it appears I typed the xml tag incorrectly. And really didn't do all that well of a job of explaining where I have been pulling code from. Sorry about that. Judging from the timestamp, this was one of my early morning posts right after getting up. Once again, apologies.

Here is my attempt to correct and expand upon what I posted previously.

When I was messing around with the Numenera rule set about a year ago, I actually created a character following the standard creation guidelines in the Cypher System Rule Book. I then examined the db.xml that was produced by the building campaign for the character. At that time, I was able to pull the how the abilities were coded upon the character sheet. At that time, the code to have the ability appear on the character sheet proper was as follows:

<id-00002>
<description type="string">You modify how a willing creature within short range reflects light for one minute. The target rapidly shifts between its normal appearance and a blot of darkness. The target has an asset on Speed defense rolls until the effect wears off. Action to initiate. Erase Memories (3 Intellect points): You reach into the mind of a creature within immediate range and make an Intellect roll. On a success, you erase up to the last five minutes of its memory. Action.</description>
<name type="string">Distortion</name>
<stat type="string">intellect</stat>
<statcost type="number">2</statcost>
</id-00002>

This was located in the <abilitiylist> section of the character in the db.xml. After figuring out the code for abilities, I then produced a module using that example as a basis for all abilities in the Cypher System Rule Book. I then set it aside for a while as I was pulled into a different direction. After I saw Darrenan state he was planning on fixing up the Numenera rule set and possibly dig into the Cypher System more, I went back to that module. I found that while the module loaded and everything was still in place, the descriptions of all the abilities had disappeared. After checking the code, and not finding errors, I created a new character in using the updated Numenera rule set and dug into that db.xml. It was there I noticed the change in tags. The following is what the new version was using for the exact same ability:

<id-00002>
<ftdesc type="formattedtext">
<p>You modify how a willing creature within short range reflects light for one minute. The target rapidly shifts between its normal appearance and a blot of darkness. The target has an asset on Speed defense rolls until the effect wears off. Action to initiate.</p>
</ftdesc>
<name type="string">Distortion</name>
<stat type="string">intellect</stat>
<statcost type="number">2</statcost>
</id-00002>

That is where one of the mistakes from my earlier post came into play. I miss typed the tag in the initial post. So I made a copy of my module and updated all the <description> tags to the <ftdesc> tags and the description came back properly.

Now, for the request part of the post I made earlier. Abilities are the only things that I assume could be dragged and dropped onto a character sheet. I attempted to figure out how this was done last year but gave up as I suck at coding and following the code. I am using the rule set's exact coding to create the abilities in the ability list, so I assume once the ability to drag and drop is implemented, whatever abilities I have coded should be dragable. Once again, not a coder, just an end user making a WAG.

The rest of the options, types, foci, descriptors, are more than likely a long ways off in the future as there are no links for them anywhere on the character sheet in the current rule sets. There is only the string that takes whatever you type into it and that is it.

darrenan
December 26th, 2018, 19:46
Hmm, there's logic in there to automatically copy from the old <description> to the new <ftdesc>, you shouldn't have had to do any manual editing. I will have to make sure that's working correctly.

The Cypher System ruleset character sheet (and by extension, The Strange and Numenera rulesets) don't currently implement any drop handlers above and beyond what the CoreRPG ruleset implements (dice, items/parcels).

darrenan
December 26th, 2018, 19:52
The other important point is that it's kind of hard to prioritize this work while we're in this state that modules cannot be shared. This is just one of a handful of items on the backlog for these rulesets. If we had a licensing agreement I would happily work on modules that could be shared and the drag/drop functionality. But for now, it's really not that hard to just paste directly from the PDF.

Talyn
December 27th, 2018, 01:29
Oh gawd you're creating a whole new descriptive text field? Gonna have to remember to make a note of these changes next time I do one of my "this works in every CoreRPG+ ruleset" things.

damned
December 27th, 2018, 01:33
Hey darrenan - what is the reason for changing the field names?

Blahness98
December 27th, 2018, 02:11
The other important point is that it's kind of hard to prioritize this work while we're in this state that modules cannot be shared. This is just one of a handful of items on the backlog for these rulesets. If we had a licensing agreement I would happily work on modules that could be shared and the drag/drop functionality. But for now, it's really not that hard to just paste directly from the PDF.

True. Not that it matters as far as the modules go. But I figured if I had a completed module for say the cypher system rule book all done up like a 5e product and present it to MCG, maybe they would be more receptive for a license..

Blackfoot
December 27th, 2018, 06:06
Hey darrenan - what is the reason for changing the field names?I'm pretty sure it has to do with switching from 'text' to 'formatted text'.

damned
December 27th, 2018, 06:36
I'm pretty sure it has to do with switching from 'text' to 'formatted text'.

Id be tempted to leave names as they are and just change the content to formattedtext?
What would you lose? Line breaks is probably the only thing that would get lost?

darrenan
December 27th, 2018, 20:58
It's too late for that, the updated rulesets went out in the last update. I did this to maintain back-compat with existing characters in existing campaigns. It should be transparent to users. The next time they open up their character any data in the description node of the DB will be copied into the new ftdesc node with the appropriate tags around it.

<basicft name="ftdesc">
<anchored>
<top parent="columnanchor" anchor="bottom" relation="relative" offset="7" />
<left offset="5" />
<right offset="-5" />
</anchored>
<script>
function onInit()
local oldDesc = window.description.getValue();
if oldDesc == "" then
return;
end

local aDescriptionSplit,_ = StringManager.split(oldDesc, "\n", true);

local sFormattedString = "";
for _,sDescFragment in pairs(aDescriptionSplit) do
sFormattedString = sFormattedString .. "&lt;p&gt;" .. sDescFragment .. "&lt;/p&gt;";
end

setValue(sFormattedString);
window.description.setValue("");
end
</script>
<tabtarget prev="modifier" />
</basicft>

@Talyn - Could you explain in more detail what problems this is causing you?

Talyn
December 27th, 2018, 21:30
It isn't ... yet. Mainly every ruleset uses either text or description, so ftdesc isn't exactly intuitive. On that note, what does the 'ft' mean, so I can add that to my neural network? :)

Trenloe
December 27th, 2018, 23:23
FT - formatted text. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Trenloe
December 27th, 2018, 23:25
Id be tempted to leave names as they are and just change the content to formattedtext?
What would you lose? Line breaks is probably the only thing that would get lost?
Changing the type, but keeping the same field name, would mean that existing characters would get "type mismatch" errors and the previous data wouldn't be accessible through the FG interface.

damned
December 27th, 2018, 23:41
Changing the type, but keeping the same field name, would mean that existing characters would get "type mismatch" errors and the previous data wouldn't be accessible through the FG interface.

even for text to formattedtext?
my bad.

Talyn
December 28th, 2018, 03:51
Did you seriously just link the wiki at me?

Y'know... you guys enjoy the discussion. I'm out.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2018, 04:14
Did you seriously just link the wiki at me?
Well, you asked what FT meant, so I gave you all the info. If that insulted you, I'm sorry - I didn't expect answering a question with a full set of information to be seen as insulting.

ProfDogg
January 5th, 2019, 12:44
I have taken on the mantle of active community developer of the Cypher System/Numenera/The Strange ruleset(s) released as part of Fantasy Grounds. Moon Wizard has granted me permissions to check code into their repository, and I have been furiously doing so. Here's what I have done so far:

- Created a new Cypher System base ruleset using the current Numenera ruleset as a starting point.
- Added automation for applying Effort and deducting Effort cost from stat pools. This functionality takes Edge, assets, modifiers, wound level and the 'dazed' effect into account as part of the calculations done when the dice are rolled. Every skill, attack and ability now has one of the three stats associated with it. There is a new desktop control next to the Modifier box that lets you specify the level of Effort to use on the next die roll.
- The Numenera ruleset is now just a thin layer on top of Cypher System.
- Created a ruleset for The Strange on top of Cypher System as well. This ruleset adds translation/recursion functionality to the character sheet so you don't need to manage a separate character sheet for each recursion. Items, attacks and abilities now have the ability to be associated with a specific recursion, and those that are specific to a recursion will be hidden while not on that recursion. The GM can edit the global list of recursions, but each player can select the 'current' recursion for their character from the GM-defined list, as well as a special 'All' item used to see everything when editing your character.

The situation with MCG has not changed. I will not be releasing any libraries containing copyrighted content.

I have a backlog of changes that I want to get done to both Cypher System and The Strange rulesets and I will be receptive to suggestions from the community as well.

Hopefully I can get this first round of changes out as part of 3.3.7.

Is there a new manual available on what all the system does now? It's hard to test functions without a library of material to use as guinea pigs so I'm not certain if I'm overlooking anything simply because I just don't "see" it.

darrenan
January 6th, 2019, 19:57
No, I have not written any documentation or user guide for the ruleset as of yet.