PDA

View Full Version : Question about the content of the 5e Modules.

origosis
May 3rd, 2016, 04:42
I picked up "Hoard of the Dragon Queen", "Rise of Tiamet" and "DXEX03-1"

And each one is lacking maps of locations.

DXES03-01 is lacking the Farmhouse map
HoTDQ is lacking the Tunnel map from Episode 1
DXEX03-01 has hand drawn maps? Scanned from a piece of paper it appears.

I have no issue drawing the maps and all. But I was under the impression these would be more complete and professional.

I would like some help please.

A: Is this the quality I can expect in the future? (Even with only 1/2 the maps they are still worth it, but I got the impression it would be more.)
B: What tool can I use to create these maps in the same style as the ones provided? (They appear to have been made with some very simple tile placement software.)

ffujita
May 3rd, 2016, 05:57
I'm pretty sure that if the paper/pdf version has no battle map, the FG version will also lack a battle map. If there *is* a battlemap in the paper/pdf version, and it's missing in the fg version, I'd report it in the 5e forum under the Bug Report thread.

damned
May 3rd, 2016, 06:18
Welcome origosis it is as ffujita says - these are conversions and do not include additional content over and above the published material. You will find the "missing" maps in these forums if you have a bit of a search.

ffujita
May 3rd, 2016, 06:26
If I had a nickle for every time I forgot to welcome new members to the community, I could have paid for my FG license! Welcome Origosis!

Zacchaeus
May 3rd, 2016, 09:22
Hi, origosis and welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

As reported above the FG modules will reflect precisely what is in the paper version of the module. Developers will do their best to provide decent maps both for the DM and for the players but they can only work with what is provided by WotC or any other publisher. If you follow this link here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?90-Maps) it will take you to the maps forum where you'll find a number of maps which you might find suitable to fill in the gaps and also this link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27298-Extensions-Modules-Pregens-and-other-5E-resources) here links to some specific map modules for other WotC products which you might find useful if you ever buy those.

There are various map making tools around; I use Campaign Cartographer but there are a couple of online ones which I believe might actually be free. Of course if you are an artist then you can use things like Photoshop and GIMP. Some discussion on the merits of various packages here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20607-Map-Making-Software-Suggestions)

ddavison
May 10th, 2016, 05:04
Zeus add a few additional maps to HOTDQ that were not part of the original paper version and I added some maps to the FG Combat Battlemaps to support tunnels in Out of the Abyss, but yes, otherwise if it isn't already in the printed version, there will not normally be a map included. If there is a map in the printed product, we *do* normally edit to create both a player version and a DM version of the map. When the publisher supports that by providing good quality maps, the results are best. If not, we do the best we can with photoshop so that it isn't noticeable to players when we've made edits.

kylania
May 10th, 2016, 20:23
The maps included with the DXE adventures were originally designed to look like hand drawn on graph paper, just like the olden days. :)

DMZeff
May 12th, 2016, 00:04
I can't speak for the DXEX03, but for HoTDQ, there is no map for this location. I just created one using genetic dark stone tiles.