PDA

View Full Version : Player can't attack but can deal damage

PTBBC.ORG
May 2nd, 2016, 20:15
So I have a player that can't drag the attack icon onto an enemy for their attack/spell roll. I have to do it for them, but they are able to do the damage roll to the enemy with no issue. The are also able to cast any spells on party members for healing and what not, they just can't attack.

I can't "see" what they are trying to do, so they might be doing something wrong, but it just seems weird to me that only one option isn't usable by them all of a sudden.

Any thoughts?

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2016, 20:23
For which ruleset?

The first thing is to make sure that all PC's and NPCs have arrived on the Combat Tracker properly. And if they are on a map that they have arrived on the map via the combat tracker.

The next thing to check is that the player has properly targeted the NPC that they hope to attack.

Also make sure that they haven't switched off the 'Use Current target for rolls' button just above and to the left of the modifier area in the bottom left of the screen.

One or more of those will likely be your answer.

PTBBC.ORG
May 2nd, 2016, 20:36
Its for 5E.

Yes, thats the way I usually do it for the combat tracker. I add them from the encouter to the CT, then drag their icons to the map.

We never use the target option. We just drop the attack dice onto the one we want. Everyone else can do it just fine also. But I will look at that, maybe she is targeting someone and I didn't see it.

I will look for that button! I didn't know it was even there...lol.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2016, 21:55
Well that's very weird and something very odd is going on.

You can drag/drop an attack onto a target on the the CT or on the map without the PC even being on the CT and the attack will still work. And furthermore that button I mentioned has no effect on drag/drop as far as I can see.

I can't think of any reason why this shouldn't be working but there are a couple of things to try. First try and find out exactly how they are making the attack just in case there is something obvious. If you have any extensions loaded disable them and see if that makes a difference. Next export the character and then import it into a new campaign to see whether that makes any difference. You could also try removing the character from the CT and putting it back. Also get the player to roll a quick character and see whether that has the same problem. Also try deleting and reinstating weapons

It may be some kind of corruption in the actual character itself in which case the player might have to reroll the character from scratch.