PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "Northlands Saga"

IrishBouzouki
May 1st, 2016, 15:02
FIRST CHAPTER IS FULL AND RUNNING. If interested, heck back in a few weeks for second chapter.

Looking for players for Pathfinder "Northlands Saga" (Frog God).

Campaign Book (https://froggod.com/northlands-saga-complete)
Player's Guide (https://froggod.com/northlands-saga-complete-players-guide)

(the campaign book is just linked fyi, because the webpage has a brief description of the campaign)
(the player's guide is not free, $20 softcover or $10 pdf, and is not required although it has some nice material for playing the campaign)

FG Calendar Page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1968)
The times on this calendar are "representative" to get an idea of player availability. Could start 30-60 minutes earlier if we want and need (ie lots of folks from Europe), also could start 30-60 minutes later (lots of folks from USA West coast).
If you are interested then please sign up on the calendar lined above *and* vote for the date/time if you are available. (keeping in mind the possibility to accomodate time as stated above)

Weekly sessions Tuesdays.
Start time around 6pm or 7pm USA Eastern (10pm or 11pm UTC/GMT) and running until around 11pm USA Eastern (3am UTC/GMT).

FG Forum Group Page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/group.php?groupid=63)

I have an Ultimate license so if I am the DM you can play with a demo or any level of FG license.
In-game comms would be Voice using the FG Teamspeak server.

For 4-8 campaign-suitable characters beginning at 1st level.
Campaign-suitable pre-gens available and they might make a good customizable starting point.
15-point build (as the pregens are).
I'd prefer to avoid the following classes: Alchemist, Cavalier, Gunslinger, Inquisitor, Ninja, Samurai, Swashbuckler; and I'd prefer to avoid non-core races. With exception for material in the campaign and player's guides. Something contrary to that preference would call for a background provided showing how you see it fitting a low-fantasy Northlands campaign.

I will want written backgrounds provided by everyone before we start play, with background ideas discussed with the group and perhaps a short 30-60 minute teamspeak session to introduce everyone and their characters the week before we start (as well as handling any last minute details).

Starting with NS0: "Spears in the Ice" part 1 "Spring Rites". Plan to continue through remainder of complete Saga with negotiable short (1-2 weeks) breaks between chapters which might also allow for no-hassle player swap-outs.
Relaxed pace (and relaxed attitude), mix of roleplay and combat.
Would be a rookie DM (me) unless an experienced DM would want to step in and run this. Would also consider taking turns between chapters if someone wants and if it would work.

Looking for folks especially interested in this sort of setting.

To give some idea of what might be campaign-suitable here are the 8 pregens.
They seem to be a fairly balanced group that fits the setting, might be a good start / inspiration we could edit as desired.

Balázs, Seagestrelander Thrall, Male CG Medium human (Seagestrelander) barbarian (Bearsarker) (Campaign Guide, Ch 4)
Breaks-the-Sky, Nűk Wanderer, Male N Medium elf (Nűk) druid
Jón the Tree, Male N Large human giant-blooded Fighter (Campaign Guide, Ch 1)
Knörr Goatsblood, Dwarven Scout, Male CG Medium dwarf ranger
Kolr Hákonson, Young Huscarl, Male LN Medium human Fighter (huscarl) (Campaign Guide, Ch 4)
Signy Stone-Eye, Witch-Woman, Female N Medium human sorcerer
Skagi the Trader, Outlander Peddler, Male N Medium human rogue
Thórunn Glćdirsdottir, Valkyrie-Spirited Maiden, Female CG Medium human cleric of Donar

Blahness98
May 1st, 2016, 17:24
Only if I didn't have games most nights (and a wife that gets mad when I play said games), I would join this in a heartbeat. I would love to be on the other side of the screen in a Frog God campaign. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case the time and date sync with my schedule.

Aggromal
May 1st, 2016, 21:06
No Pathfinder experience but I've been looking for a good game to learn from. Plenty of 5E and 4E experience. Keep me in mind!

JerryRig
May 1st, 2016, 22:48
Depending on the night ...I would be interested as well.

RustyAngel
May 2nd, 2016, 00:03
Depending on the day this falls into I would be interested as well.

giddygimp
May 2nd, 2016, 01:36
interested. This would be my first VTT from home. Last used FG two years ago playing 4E at local library. Now looking to get into gaming again, have DM'ed a few lowel level PF scenarios. am on USA EST.

will play pre-gens, dont wanna get bogged down in character creation. just basic human/dwarf/elf/halfing core classes for me. Nothing too fancy or multi-class.

I enjoy games for the teamwork and "what is around the next corner" factor. I am not all hung up over rules or character advancement. 1 or two nights a week sounds good for me!

Victor
May 2nd, 2016, 01:43
Howdy IB
I would like to get in on this if the group settles on a weeknight to play.
Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday works for me. I already have games on Friday and Saturday and need a break on Sunday.

I am an experienced PF and PFS player, been using FG for a bit over 2 years. The groups I am currently in sound much like the group you want to form, which is why I am posting. :) We run APs and swap out DMs in between. I do not DM however, sorry. :)

P.S. If I were you I would limit this to 4 or 5 players. 6 gets pretty cumbersome and 8 would be insane, for the players as well as the DM. 5 is a good number because if someone is out that week you have enough to go ahead and play if you want.

IrishBouzouki
May 2nd, 2016, 12:53
Hey, everyone, good to hear from you all.
I will get some more info posted this (Monday May 2) evening.
Meantime, if the forum will allow, here is a link for the player's guide, will warn you that it is not free even as a pdf. Not required, but perhaps useful.
Northlands Saga Player's Guide (https://froggod.com/northlands-saga-complete-players-guide)

IrishBouzouki
May 2nd, 2016, 23:24
info moved to OP

JerryRig
May 2nd, 2016, 23:25
little cheaper HERE (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/175368/The-Northlands-Saga-Complete-Players-Guide?manufacturers_id=4049) at $9.00

Victor
May 2nd, 2016, 23:45
Thanks Jerry, that's good to know.
IB, I'll wait to make up a character and possibly buy the guide until after everyone decides on when to play, how many signups you get, and if I am in or not. :)
I also told a buddy about this group and I he may want to join.

Vhok
May 3rd, 2016, 00:16
I had already sent him a PM but thanks for the heads up vic

JerryRig
May 3rd, 2016, 02:01
yikes 15 point buy ...seriously deadly stuff. I can understand how pregens are often lower stats then PC's. Does the players guide say 15 point buy?

RustyAngel
May 3rd, 2016, 02:47
The only available time slot I could join would be the Tuesday night game, if too many people have an issue with that I'll take my name out of the hat.

Victor
May 3rd, 2016, 03:35
Yea, 15pt buy is a low start. Maybe there is lots of gear and loot to make up for it.
Will crafting be a thing?

Vhok
May 3rd, 2016, 03:51
first post was updated with more stuff sign up on calendar!

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 12:10
15 points is what the pregens are made for, and the campaign is "low fantasy" and geared to work with them. It is intended to be a little different, I'm not running this to just have Golarion with the monsters re-named.
Since I want to encourage more along the lines of the pregens (and since they look so cool I want to allow people to use them if desired without being behind the rest of the party) and less typical Golarion fare I'm sticking to the 15 pts folks.
And it is not meant to be a meat grinder game but if you feel the need to think a bit and exercise a little more caution with a character starting at 15 pts, well, hey, that's okay too.

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 12:31
At the moment it looks like Tuesdays might be best, followed by Mondays or Wednesdays, followed by Sundays.
Tuesday looks like the only day with no stated issue so far.

Please everyone vote days on the calendar so I can tell for sure and let everyone know.

Thanks again folks.

JerryRig
May 3rd, 2016, 14:59
I'm going to let the others go with this. Looks like a good campaign, i'm just not warm fuzzy with it on my end. Look forward to hearing about the exploits ...the reviews on this campaign looked promising.

giddygimp
May 3rd, 2016, 15:07
Any night works for me. When we decide on something definite will buy softcover PG from local game store (I like to support them too!) and use pregen from that.

Victor
May 3rd, 2016, 21:54
I am good with the 15pt buy, sounds challenging.
I will be making a character, not using a pregen.

It does look like Tuesday is the only day Rusty can play, and GiddyGimp says he is ok for any day (please vote GG), and we need Aggromal to vote as well.

When do you want to start..that is.. How much time do I have to come up with a PC? :)

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 22:32
Any night works for me. When we decide on something definite will buy softcover PG from local game store (I like to support them too!) and use pregen from that.I still need you to sign up on the calendar and vote (all days yes in your case then) if you are interested in playing, please.

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 23:13
yikes 15 point buy ...seriously deadly stuff. I can understand how pregens are often lower stats then PC's. Does the players guide say 15 point buy?

"These characters were created using a 15-point build to exemplify the low-fantasy style of play to be found in a gritty Northlands setting where magic is relatively scarce and true danger abounds on all sides, though you can increase them to a 20-point build to fit a more high-fantasy style of play."...and I do not want to fit a more high-fantasy style of play, I am looking for a low-fantasy dark-age-ish theme.

Vhok
May 3rd, 2016, 23:15
did you get my message about asking if alchemist is ok?

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 23:18
When do you want to start..that is.. How much time do I have to come up with a PC? :)I think after Memorial Day would probably be a good starting point, once all the cats are herded.

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 23:27
did you get my message about asking if alchemist is ok?Yep, wrote you back saying an alchemist is not the kind of thing I'd prefer in a low-fantasy campaign like this, which is how I edited the OP rather than just saying everything has to be CRB.

IrishBouzouki
May 3rd, 2016, 23:38
No Pathfinder experience but I've been looking for a good game to learn from. Plenty of 5E and 4E experience. Keep me in mind!You are certainly welcome, but you need to sign up on the calendar please, and vote for days that work for you, if you want to play.

I would caution that this will not be a typical Pathfinder game by which to judge the rest.
In my experience so far Pathfinder games are usually set in the Paizo setting/world "Golarion" with higher point builds, more abundant magic and even technology, and the adventures are perhaps a little more directed although this will be also for the first few sessions before it gets more sandboxy. And many of the DM's are much more experienced at it than I will be. This campaign is just a particular labor of love for me because I really dig the unique setting or I would never be doing this.

Victor
May 4th, 2016, 00:04
This is starting to sound like a lot of fun. :)
I prefer the relaxed play of a campaign over the PFS rush, a relatively new DM, a relatively new Pathfinder player, a low fantasy game without all the optimized overpowered PCs ripping everything up, a chance to die, plenty of room for me to blather on and help the new guy and maybe even the DM some.. sounds great. :)

After Memorial Day sounds good. Funny thing though, I am very consistent and reliable and never go anywhere, ask my cats. But in June I am going away for a week so would miss one of the early sessions. Oh well. :)

giddygimp
May 4th, 2016, 02:36
Tuesday's work for me. Still up for any evening tho.
Like what you are going for here Irish. The whole Golarion gets too much sci-fi mixed in. I look forward to getting medieval again!

Vhok
May 4th, 2016, 02:55
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1968
join the calendar and post what you want to play in the discussion

Hermundure
May 4th, 2016, 08:11
Is there still room on this adventure?

BTW, do you know if conversion for 5e is in the making for the Northland saga?

IrishBouzouki
May 4th, 2016, 11:41
Golarion gets too much sci-fiNot out to bash Golarion, Paizo has done a fine job and I have a swashbuckler in PFS. But I really hope this game will be something different. In the same way that the pirate/renaissance and sci-fi stuff offers something different from the usual high-fantasy tropes.

IrishBouzouki
May 4th, 2016, 11:53
Is there still room on this adventure?Yes there is room. If you are interested you will need to sign up on the calendar and vote for what days you can play. It'd be great to have you play. But be aware we'll be running late into the night for Central Europe, like 3am GMT/UTC.

BTW, do you know if conversion for 5e is in the making for the Northland saga?I've not seen any info on that. But if I had to guess Frog God Games might prioritize the new stuff coming out and the "main" areas of the Lost Lands that expand on what they have already converted for 5E (Borderlands and some of Stoneheart Valley). I haven't really looked either though. You might try posting at their forum or sending a note to their sales / customer service.

IrishBouzouki
May 4th, 2016, 13:04
Someone asked about wanting backgrounds.
Yes I would like backgrounds written up for all the characters before we start playng.
But let's begin just by kicking some ideas around so we can all wind up with something that gels with the party and the campaign.
Me might even have a 30-60 minute teamspeak session the week before starting just to introduce everyone and their characters and handle any last minute details.
We'll make a forum group for the game to do all that stuff starting in a week or so, off the LFG forum, meantime keep some notes as you think of background ideas.

giddygimp
May 4th, 2016, 14:16
I wouldn't expect to see a 5E conversion. FrogGod publishing would have to deal with the GSL thing. That's why I moved to Pathfinder. Love the Open Game License.

What voip are we using to chat in game?

Victor
May 4th, 2016, 21:24
Background? I'm from Golarion and I woke up in this strange land I know nothing about. I am going to have to pay a local cartographer, an historian, and a few religious zealots to fill me in.. :)

IrishBouzouki
May 4th, 2016, 21:31
What voip are we using to chat in game?info is in the thread OP

Vhok
May 5th, 2016, 06:08
could you give us the basic info for our backround stories. I don't think anyone is going to drop 20$ on the players guide

IrishBouzouki
May 5th, 2016, 12:43
could you give us the basic info for our backround stories. I don't think anyone is going to drop 20$ on the players guide

What basic info do you want? You're making a character to play in a low-fantasy dark-age viking-theme game. For a starting point draw inspiration from whatever source material you have that would fit with that.

I put some information Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=2697&do=discuss)

The player's guide is not required, certainly not just for making a character background. And the $20 price on the linked Frog God page is for the -softcover-, which with shipping times might not be received before the campaign starts (well, maybe), so I don't think that is relevant. The pdf download from the same link is $9 off so $10.95. I could make a speech about the amount of content etc but what is the point, if it does not interest you enough to pay $10 then don't buy it, it is your choice to make. And FYI you may not think anyone would drop $20 on the Guide softcover, well, I did, on top of $125 for the campaign hardcover.

Trenloe
May 5th, 2016, 16:54
And FYI you may not think anyone would drop $20 on the Guide softcover, well, I did, on top of $125 for the campaign hardcover.
Me too. I really like the feel of this campaign setting. Good luck with getting your game up and running - I'm quite jealous you'll be playing in this cool setting.

Victor
May 5th, 2016, 21:41
Thanks for posting that synopsis IB. Very helpful. Vhok posted that request after he and I talked and both said we probably would not be getting the guide, but needed info from it.
I very much appreciate your having bought the high end copies and appreciate even more your taking the time and effort to get it all set up for us.

Me too. I really like the feel of this campaign setting. Good luck with getting your game up and running - I'm quite jealous you'll be playing in this cool setting.

Hmm, I think if you check the OP he took out the "No Trenloe" clause. Join us! :)

P.S. Group Forum formed, this thread should now die..

IrishBouzouki
May 5th, 2016, 22:22
P.S. Group Forum formed, this thread should now die..mmmm... not quite. Still want to allow a little longer for sign ups, we really only have 4 players that have taken the initiative to sign up and that is a little sparse, so the thread can stay active for a little longer since we are still LFP.

Ksathra
May 5th, 2016, 23:22
oh if you're still looking for players Tuesday Pathfinder sounds like lots of fun. Tired of playing only 5e.

IrishBouzouki
May 5th, 2016, 23:27
oh if you're still looking for players Tuesday Pathfinder sounds like lots of fun. Tired of playing only 5e.accepted on calendar, you have one step left there... vote "yes" on the calendar page for whatever times Tuesday you can play. also check out the group.

Ksathra
May 5th, 2016, 23:51
Voted. I'm gonna have a look through all the info and see what kind of character I'll make. So far we have what? Shield maiden? Ranger? Archers? If no one has gone for the Barbarian I might make one or check out the pregen and use him, though I feel weird playing someone else's character with background and everything.

Blahness98
May 6th, 2016, 00:50

I really want can't wait to read through/play The Blight. I think that would be a fun, gritty urban campaign. But then again, everything that FGG puts out I instabuy/instaback. It is starting to hurt my wallet.

And I really wish I didn't close on tuesday nights so I could join you all. Good luck and have fun. I'm sure Rusty will fill me in on the details during our Tsar game..

IrishBouzouki
May 26th, 2016, 00:15
I'm looking for at least one and preferably two or three more players that are interested in The Northlands Saga and can play on Tuesday nghts. We have three players eager and ready to go and we'll start as soon as we get at least a fourth.
If you are interested then please apply on the calendar page linked in the OP, and vote yes on the times (apparently this has changed recently?... not sure if there is another way but I know you can now go back to the main calendar page after applying and it will allow you to vote).

Vhok
May 26th, 2016, 04:21
we really need a healing class at the moment. currently we have a sorcerer/crossbow archer/barbarian

IrishBouzouki
May 26th, 2016, 11:42
aoe dmg, anti-undead, and probably a second tank, are still short also and would make a solid contribution

Wind Serpent
May 26th, 2016, 17:05
I would be interested in joining, and I've got an idea for a Human Life Oracle that should cover the healer and anti-undead aspects.

(I can't vote on the calendar yet, but the two dates mentioned are okay for me.)

IrishBouzouki
May 26th, 2016, 22:37
I would be interested in joining, and I've got an idea for a Human Life Oracle that should cover the healer and anti-undead aspects.

(I can't vote on the calendar yet, but the two dates mentioned are okay for me.)Accepted your application on calendar, please vote now so I know you grok your local start time. Also,since we are trying to keep momentumand start next Tuesday I need to get your character uploaded in time to prep the first week's content, which depends on elements of party composition. So I need to know a time you can reliably log on to upload your character. PM'd you, let me know. Thanks.

Victor
May 27th, 2016, 00:16
Just an FYI, You can vote on the calendar before you are accepted by going to the Calendar main page.