PDA

View Full Version : Problem with effects and [EXPIRES]

Rades
May 1st, 2016, 08:46
Hi all, I'm running into a problem when applying non-expiring buffs. For example, always-active fire resistance from a magic cloak.

I've created a power and effect for the cloak, as simple as can be: RESIST: 5 fire, SELF/ALL, no expiration.

However, when it gets added to the combat tracker, it shows up as RESIST: 5 fire [EXPIRES]. And doesn't work at all. However, if I as the GM go in and manually delete the [EXPIRES], the resistance starts working properly.

In the case of a power having multiple effects, such as RESIST: 10 cold; RESIST: 10 fire, it shows up in the tracker as RESIST: 10 cold; RESIST: 10 fire [EXPIRES], and while the cold resistance works, the fire resistance doesn't. (Until I delete the [EXPIRES] part, at which point it functions properly.)

It's not the end of the world, as I can always just make the effect have an ENC expiration and re-apply them at the start of each encounter. But I was just hoping someone would know why this is happening, or if it needs to be reported as a bug? Does [EXPIRES] always just make effects...not work?

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2016, 06:56
It's a bug in the ruleset code. It will be fixed in v3.2.0.

Regards,
JPG

Rades
May 2nd, 2016, 08:23
Thanks for the swift reply, Moon Wizard!

crittman
April 2nd, 2017, 21:31
how about Resist 5 pyschic I cant get that to work

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2017, 22:12
how about Resist 5 pyschic I cant get that to work
Change your y and s around. You need psychic.

crittman
April 2nd, 2017, 23:23
So I have it spelt correctly but when I use a use a power that says psychic it doesn't show a resist anything on the damage roll

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2017, 23:27
So I have it spelt correctly but when I use a use a power that says psychic it doesn't show a resist anything on the damage roll
So, you effect in the combat tracker is: RESIST: 5 psychic

If this is the case and still isn't working, please post a screenshot showing the combat tracker (with the effect applied) and the result of an attack from that character (with the effect on them) which doesn't work.

crittman
April 2nd, 2017, 23:46
Here is what I see

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2017, 00:08
Use all capitals for RESIST

You have to use the exact effect labelling as detailed in the effects Wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/4E_Effects

crittman
April 3rd, 2017, 00:12
OK that did it thanks

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2017, 00:18
Cool - glad you've got it working.

As an FYI - FG has to use very specific syntax for things like effects (and other areas as well), so that it doesn't pick up random words that aren't actually an effect. As such, when you're looking at FG syntax examples just keep in mind to use the exact same case (upper, lower, whatever) - then things should work fine. :)

crittman
April 3rd, 2017, 00:21
Ok I got another for you.

if Bloodied HEAL 5+Wis

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2017, 00:34
if Bloodied HEAL 5+Wis
Firstly, effects with [WIS] need to be applied from the PC character sheet powers tab - as it is the process of adding the effect to the target that parses out [WIS] and adds the numerical bonus to the effect in the combat trackers.

Secondly, (you may already know this, but I'll mention it anyway): effects change actions, they don't trigger actions. So, a HEAL effect will adjust heal actions - not initiate a heal action. So, if you want to have some automation that triggers 5+Wis healing when a target becomes bloodied, that isn't possible.

Thirdly - and this is probably a bug. HEAL effects don't seem to be working currently for healing that doesn't have a healing surge value (HSV) - at least in my testing I can't get a basic HEAL: 5 to adjust a healing action of just 1d8 with no HSV added. :(

crittman
April 3rd, 2017, 00:41
Well that just sucks. The power attacks target and heals you if you are bloodied was hoping to find a way to automate that.

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2017, 00:42
Well that just sucks. The power attacks target and heals you if you are bloodied was hoping to find a way to automate that.
Add a Heal action to the power, and trigger that (click the heal action button) if the target is bloodied?

crittman
April 3rd, 2017, 00:42
I bet there is no automation for sliding/pushing a target aswell.

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2017, 00:43
See "Heal Rolls" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/4E_Character_Sheet#Heal_Rolls

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2017, 00:46
I bet there is no automation for sliding/pushing a target aswell.
There is no map based automation.

FG cannot possibly provide automation for every possible use of a power/eventuality within a RPG system, especially complex battlemap based systems such as 4E. There are too many exceptions and player/GM input needed that it would just be impossible to do accurately. And then there's always GMs/Players with house rules that do things differently. So, most rulesets will aim to automate a maximum of around 80% of common tasks. Beyond that will require manual interaction from the GM and players.

crittman
April 3rd, 2017, 01:03
Darnit I wanted to be a truly lazy GM

mrgrey
April 6th, 2017, 15:37
That said, it might be nice to allow the player to move another model - perhaps done the same way that having the GM confirm model movement works.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2017, 02:20
That said, it might be nice to allow the player to move another model...
If the GM sets the creature faction to friendly in the combat tracker then the players can move the token on the map, just like they would their own tokens.

mrgrey
April 7th, 2017, 10:26
If the GM sets the creature faction to friendly in the combat tracker then the players can move the token on the map, just like they would their own tokens.

Useful for moving allies - not so useful for when a power lets you move an enemy. That's why I suggested a thing that requires the GM to OK it.