PDA

View Full Version : Could not connect to the host.

DMZeff
May 1st, 2016, 00:52
Hello.. super excited to use FG, but can't seem to get it to work. Tried everything and so here I am.

What I've done: Disabled all firewalls, set router to DMZ, forwarded port 1802, set static ip.

Not sure where to go from here. I spent a lot of time converting my campaign from Roll20 to FG and it doesn't look like I can get my people in. The only way I can get people in is if they are on my LAN and use the local IP to connect. Anyone using external is unable to connect.

I am very concerned because it seems as if I'm not the only one with this issue......

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2016, 04:34
Welcome to the community. I can give you a little bit of information and get you to provide some of the info that the gurus are probably going to ask you for.

First, On the campaign load screen, if you don't already have a server alias, what happens when you select the "Generate Alias" button? Do you get an alias?
Second, what happens when you select the "Run Test" button under the connection test header?
Third, do you get an external IP on the same screen?

If all that worked, your players should be able to connect with either the server alias or the external IP.

If they still can't, do you have two nodes in your network? Like a wireless router and a modem and/or firewall? In that case, you will have to port forward from the external most device to the next in line, etc until you port forward from the innermost device to your local IP on your computer (FG server).

If you are still stuck, post back where you are at and one of the gurus will reach out to you to help get you up and running.

damned
May 1st, 2016, 09:23
Hi starcraft911 send me a PM and Ill help you out.

Dark Jester
May 1st, 2016, 18:19
If they still can't, do you have two nodes in your network? Like a wireless router and a modem and/or firewall? In that case, you will have to port forward from the external most device to the next in line, etc until you port forward from the innermost device to your local IP on your computer (FG server).

This part helped me. ;) Just got FG a couple days ago and have been pulling my hair out trying to get rid of the FAILED message when testing connection. I didn't think of the Cable Company's modem being another layer needing to be port forwarded. Turns out it actually is a separate router. I forwarded Port 1802 on the cable modem to my internal Wireless Router's WAN address (192.168.0.2), and my Wireless Router is forwarded to my desktop's assigned internal IP, and now I see the magic green SUCCESS message on the connection test. :)

Thanks much. :)

-Dark Jester

DMZeff
May 1st, 2016, 22:01
My connection test works. People just can't connect.

damned
May 2nd, 2016, 01:19
Hi starcraft911 send me a PM and Ill help you out.

If your players are connecting from another network they need to connect to the alias or external ip
If your players are connecting from the same network they need to connect to the internal ip
If you are connecting from the same computer you need to connect to localhost

FG uses TCP on port 1802. Its possible many work networks, and some private networks block outgoing connections to non standard (other than dns/web/email) ports.
Where are your players connecting from?
Are they all at the same location/network?

damned
May 2nd, 2016, 01:20
Welcome Dark Jester and well done (and to LordEntrails).