PDA

View Full Version : Initiative and Effects for Players in Combat Tracker

whiteTiki
May 1st, 2016, 00:25
Hi there all,

I did a little search about Initiative topics first and I didn't quite found what I was looking for in forums. But I'm pretty sure this was mentioned before.

In short, I have 2 questions:

Is there a way to automatically reroll initiative for all PCs and NPCs after a round is over? I'm currently handling it by activating an option called "stop at round start" and rolling everyone's initiative at the beginning of each round.
Is there a way to let the players manage their own effects and some target-specific effects to other PCs or NPCs in the Combat Tracker? So that they can turn them on or off partially, change some stuff, etc.?

Thanks for the support.

rhammer2
May 1st, 2016, 01:53
Hi there all,

I did a little search about Initiative topics first and I didn't quite found what I was looking for in forums. But I'm pretty sure this was mentioned before.

In short, I have 2 questions:

Is there a way to automatically reroll initiative for all PCs and NPCs after a round is over? I'm currently handling it by activating an option called "stop at round start" and rolling everyone's initiative at the beginning of each round.
Is there a way to let the players manage their own effects and some target-specific effects to other PCs or NPCs in the Combat Tracker? So that they can turn them on or off partially, change some stuff, etc.?

Thanks for the support.

First, why are you rerolling initiative for each round? I'm assuming this is a house rule you are using, but I think you should go with the standard rule for initiative.

Second, there is some limited ability for the players to add and remove effects, take a look at the pinned post on top for extensions. There is an extension that allows the player to remove effects they added.

- Robert

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2016, 04:45
@whiteTiki,

I know some of the other DMs play with the re-roll init each round variant. I think they are doing what you are saying, but do check the extensions listed in the sticky as maybe someone wrote an extension to do what you want. Their are also some options that they have mentioned using, so that the players don't know where in initiative they fall each round until it is actually there turn.

As Robert mentioned, their is an extension to allow players to remove effects from the CT. But to add effects to themselves and other players, no extension is needed. Check out the Complete XX threads for the various classes, they have all sorts of efects there that your characters can use. Also check out the Wiki as it has a section Zach (I think) has been very diligent about keeping up to date.

damned
May 1st, 2016, 09:22
At the end of the round the GM can click the Combat Tracker Menu Icon and then click Initiative and Roll All Initiatives (this might be what you are doing?).

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2016, 11:35
1. There is no way to automatically re-roll initiative at the end of every round. What you are doing would be the only logical way to do it.

2. If I understand what you want correctly you might be interested in this extension. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension)

damned
May 1st, 2016, 12:13
1. There is no way to automatically re-roll initiative at the end of every round. What you are doing would be the only logical way to do it.

Several rulesets include this option. Castles&Cruades has it as an option and Maelstrom has it as default. You could investigate the code that drives these and write an extension for it for 5e.
You know... this is triggering some long forgotten memories...

damned
May 1st, 2016, 12:19
Feature 5e Auto Initiative.
Im pretty sure the wonderful ianmward coded this for me.

JohnD
May 1st, 2016, 12:30
Feature 5e Auto Initiative.
Im pretty sure the wonderful ianmward coded this for me.

Oh yes please. Will grab this later today.

damned
May 1st, 2016, 13:10
Oh yes please. Will grab this later today.

Typical - its the old CnC player in you! :) Unlike the CnC ruleset this extension is always on - its not a switch in Options.

JohnD
May 1st, 2016, 14:26
Typical - its the old CnC player in you! :) Unlike the CnC ruleset this extension is always on - its not a switch in Options.

Yes, already tested and it will save me a number of mouse clicks in every combat.

whiteTiki
May 1st, 2016, 18:12
Thanks for all the support! Got the answers I was looking for.