PDA

View Full Version : More maps for Castle Ravenloft and Curse of Strahd

ddavison
April 30th, 2016, 19:57
I just saw this posted on ENWorld and thought I would share.
https://pauldanieljohnson.deviantart.com/gallery/58555031/Curse-of-Strahd

Link to the downloadable module. Place it in your modules folder and activate in your Library > Modules.
Module Download (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_85eFKIDiaR2FyT2lZZXVkczQ/view?usp=sharing)

Zacchaeus
April 30th, 2016, 20:17
Those are really nice. Good find.

damned
May 1st, 2016, 10:30
It is unlikely to have been deviantart itself - this is a big and well established website... however criminal networks have been brazen enough in the past to actually upload and pay for commercial ads that have contained malware coding... these have hot reputable websites before (some very big ad networks and websites).

TalonHawk
May 2nd, 2016, 01:26
Are these maps better than the module with maps already out? Or are they in addition to? Trying not to get spoiled by anything so don't want to look at them, but was gonna let our DM know about em.

Teknykk
May 2nd, 2016, 04:21
The map count is the same, though the outside one is merged with one of them and another has been done elsewhere. These particular maps seem to line up along with the labelling of the adventure's isometric maps themselves, and they effectively provide the same purpose as Zacchaeus' ones. That said, these are obviously better quality because that artist has probably had far more time spare to put into them, of which any number of the artists here could do if they had the time, including Zacchaeus. There's slight visual alignment issues with some of the outdoors sections when compared to the other maps in the same set, but otherwise they seem to more or less provide the same need, though perhaps a bit closer visually to the isometric ones. Either way, both would serve the same purpose, so it more or less comes down to how visually accurate you want your maps to be compared to the isometric ones and if you want the map to align with the bridge to the west as it should, or to the north as Zacchaeus has done it.

To add...I've examined both packs carefully, and each of them covers the castle fully as expected, just a difference in visuals, alignment, and layout. The maps on the website compared to the module are as follows:

Curse of Strahd 2 3 - Walls of Ravenloft with Main Floor
Curse of Strahd 2 4 - Walls of Ravenloft with Court of the Count
Curse of Strahd 2 5 - Walls of Ravenloft with Rooms of Weeping
Curse of Strahd 2 6 - Walls of Ravenloft with Spires of Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd 2 7 - Walls of Ravenloft with Spires of Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd 2 8 - Walls of Ravenloft with Spires of Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd 2 9 - Walls of Ravenloft with North Tower Peak
Curse of Strahd 2 10 - Walls of Ravenloft with High Tower Peak
Curse of Strahd 11 - Larders of Ill Omen
Curse of Strahd 12 - Dungeon and Catacombs

Strahd2 = Walls of Ravenloft
Strahd3 = Main Floor
Strahd4 = Court of the Count
Strahd5 = Rooms of Weeping
Strahd6 = Spires of Ravenloft
Strahd7 = Spires of Ravenloft
Strahd8 = Spires of Ravenloft with North Tower Peak and High Tower Peak
Strahd11 = Larders of Ill Omen
Strahd12 = Dungeon and Catacombs
Strahd13 = Dungeon and Catacombs

Regardess, I'd like to see these ones here turned into a module...but I can't seem to get the grid perfectly aligned with the one the artist had drawn on the maps - which has led to disappointment and disinterest in their use.

LordEntrails
May 2nd, 2016, 21:19
Not actually a map, but related and worth a look :)
https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3391-Strahd-Castle-Ravenloft-in-3d-glory!

pauldanieljohnson
May 3rd, 2016, 20:39
The map count is the same, though the outside one is merged with one of them and another has been done elsewhere. These particular maps seem to line up along with the labelling of the adventure's isometric maps themselves, and they effectively provide the same purpose as Zacchaeus' ones. That said, these are obviously better quality because that artist has probably had far more time spare to put into them, of which any number of the artists here could do if they had the time, including Zacchaeus. There's slight visual alignment issues with some of the outdoors sections when compared to the other maps in the same set, but otherwise they seem to more or less provide the same need, though perhaps a bit closer visually to the isometric ones. Either way, both would serve the same purpose, so it more or less comes down to how visually accurate you want your maps to be compared to the isometric ones and if you want the map to align with the bridge to the west as it should, or to the north as Zacchaeus has done it.

To add...I've examined both packs carefully, and each of them covers the castle fully as expected, just a difference in visuals, alignment, and layout. The maps on the website compared to the module are as follows:

Curse of Strahd 2 3 - Walls of Ravenloft with Main Floor
Curse of Strahd 2 4 - Walls of Ravenloft with Court of the Count
Curse of Strahd 2 5 - Walls of Ravenloft with Rooms of Weeping
Curse of Strahd 2 6 - Walls of Ravenloft with Spires of Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd 2 7 - Walls of Ravenloft with Spires of Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd 2 8 - Walls of Ravenloft with Spires of Ravenloft
Curse of Strahd 2 9 - Walls of Ravenloft with North Tower Peak
Curse of Strahd 2 10 - Walls of Ravenloft with High Tower Peak
Curse of Strahd 11 - Larders of Ill Omen
Curse of Strahd 12 - Dungeon and Catacombs

Strahd2 = Walls of Ravenloft
Strahd3 = Main Floor
Strahd4 = Court of the Count
Strahd5 = Rooms of Weeping
Strahd6 = Spires of Ravenloft
Strahd7 = Spires of Ravenloft
Strahd8 = Spires of Ravenloft with North Tower Peak and High Tower Peak
Strahd11 = Larders of Ill Omen
Strahd12 = Dungeon and Catacombs
Strahd13 = Dungeon and Catacombs

Regardess, I'd like to see these ones here turned into a module...but I can't seem to get the grid perfectly aligned with the one the artist had drawn on the maps - which has led to disappointment and disinterest in their use.

I can't speak for the others, but on my maps the yellow border surrounding the map is "outside" the grid - so if you try to align to the grid with that yellow border inside your grid, you'll likely run into problems. Best practise is to ignore the border and align to the grid itself.

Teknykk
May 4th, 2016, 02:57
When I tried to do it, I aligned the grid from within a square inside the castle itself, and when I checked other areas of the castle as well as outside of it, there was an alignment issue - and I couldn't find any way to properly align it all together.

pauldanieljohnson
May 4th, 2016, 03:35
When I tried to do it, I aligned the grid from within a square inside the castle itself, and when I checked other areas of the castle as well as outside of it, there was an alignment issue - and I couldn't find any way to properly align it all together.

I don't use Fantasy Grounds, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. I've used the maps in Roll20 without any troubles in terms of alignment, so on a basic level I think the grid is square and should ultimately line up with any grid. Here's a screenshot from Roll20...

damned
May 4th, 2016, 04:12
Welcome pauldanieljohnson and thanks for the great maps.

Teknykk
May 4th, 2016, 04:25
Aye, I believe it has to do with the fact that in Fantasy Grounds, the grid is done by spreading a square out a certain number of pixels - in this case, it's about 70 pixels to cover a single square on your art-drawn grid - which comes out fine for a good number of the squares, but alignment quickly changes and it begins to come off away from the drawn grid.

That said, they are very beautiful maps and are a welcome sight - but obviously being built for Roll20 doesn't agree with the same structure for Fantasy Grounds. I think this is why you'll find many map makers here on these forums avoid doing drawn-in grids, and simply do a single "shadow square" in a corner for users to do manually - or do a grid inside the XML file code instead of the artwork itself.

In any case, welcome to the community here - if you're willing to go the extra mile with us and help adjust the maps for Fantasy Grounds use - I'm sure it would very much be welcomed, and could probably be done with a Demo copy of the program, or with a bit of help from any map makers here.

I myself sadly have limited experience with map making, let alone XML code, but I do my best to spot things and let folks know where I am able.

sturtus
May 25th, 2016, 16:09
I reduced grid size to 50px, reduced size of the tower maps, blurred out lower elevations, and produced a module with the grid pre-defined. Enjoy.

Module Download (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_85eFKIDiaR2FyT2lZZXVkczQ/view?usp=sharing)

Edit: updated link. Module updated with artist attribution and map titles

Edit 2: updated blur effect on all maps. wasn't happy with initial pass.

Teknykk
May 26th, 2016, 03:25
Well done and thanks for taking the time to do this for us. I think I will replace my use of the battle maps for Castle Ravenloft with these ones, as they better suit how I run things and are of a beautiful quality. Perhaps someone with the power could sticky this into a module thread for maps so people can find them in future also.

Zacchaeus
May 26th, 2016, 08:58
Well done and thanks for taking the time to do this for us. I think I will replace my use of the battle maps for Castle Ravenloft with these ones, as they better suit how I run things and are of a beautiful quality. Perhaps someone with the power could sticky this into a module thread for maps so people can find them in future also.

Done.

sturtus
May 28th, 2016, 19:17
Quick update: I updated the module to attribute the artist after getting permission, and added titles to the maps instead of just numbers.

Zacchaeus
May 28th, 2016, 20:32
Jolly good.

Firstdarkfox13
November 25th, 2016, 23:52
I made a scan of the castle map for a handy copy as not avaible elsewhere here it is

MODERATOR: link removed due to copyright infringement

Nickademus
November 25th, 2016, 23:55
I think there is a reason it is not available elsewhere...

pauldanieljohnson
November 26th, 2016, 00:08
[QUOTE=Firstdarkfox13;303470]I made a scan of the castle map for a handy copy as not avaible elsewhere here it is

Yeah... that's a copy right infringement. You should remove it.

Grimlore
March 14th, 2018, 05:34
Hey All,

Sorry for the 2 years necro of this thread, but if anyone else finds this via Google, hopefully my post will help them.

I've worked with an artist who created some awesome battle maps of Castle Ravenloft, and made them freely available to the community. With the artist's permission, I edited the maps and optimized them for Fantasy Grounds. I then added all of the pins from the Curse of Strahd FG adventure module to the newly created battle maps.

You can find my module, available for free on the DMs Guild: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/236761/Castle-Ravenloft-Player-Maps?filters=0_0_45383_0_0_0_0_0

Note: To use this module, you will need to own the Fantasy Grounds Curse of Strahd module.

Nickademus
March 14th, 2018, 19:05
Note: To use this module, you will need to own the Fantasy Grounds Curse of Strahd module.

How is this accomplished? I'm not aware of a way to limit module selection to having another module open.
Or are you only referring to the pins, and not the maps?

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2018, 21:34
How is this accomplished? I'm not aware of a way to limit module selection to having another module open.
Or are you only referring to the pins, and not the maps?
Drag the pins from the module lists and don't make a copy of them. You can do the same with a lot of the various objects. Pretty sure most/all of them, but you can just unload the module and test the links to see if they work or not.

Nickademus
March 15th, 2018, 04:49
I know the pins won't work. I was wondering if there was a way to deny the entire module (a.k.a. the maps) if another is not opened.

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2018, 17:05
I know the pins won't work. I was wondering if there was a way to deny the entire module (a.k.a. the maps) if another is not opened.
Extensions have this capability (i.e. DOEs) but I don't think modules have such an ability.

Trenloe
March 17th, 2018, 16:16
I don't think modules have such an ability.
They don't.

Tielc
November 26th, 2018, 18:39
Hey All,

Sorry for the 2 years necro of this thread, but if anyone else finds this via Google, hopefully my post will help them.

I've worked with an artist who created some awesome battle maps of Castle Ravenloft, and made them freely available to the community. With the artist's permission, I edited the maps and optimized them for Fantasy Grounds. I then added all of the pins from the Curse of Strahd FG adventure module to the newly created battle maps.

You can find my module, available for free on the DMs Guild: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/236761/Castle-Ravenloft-Player-Maps?filters=0_0_45383_0_0_0_0_0

I'm curious if these maps have the Vault below Crypt number 14 in them? I've been trying to find something to use for this one specific encounter.

esmdev
November 26th, 2018, 19:16
The link in the first post to deviantart does not appear to be working.

LordEntrails
November 26th, 2018, 19:33
I'm curious if these maps have the Vault below Crypt number 14 in them? I've been trying to find something to use for this one specific encounter.
Not sure, download the FG module and take a look :)

The link in the first post to deviantart does not appear to be working.
Appears the deviant artist is no longer on the site, but the FG mod is still available from the first post.

Trenloe
November 26th, 2018, 21:49
Appears the deviant artist is no longer on the site, but the FG mod is still available from the first post.
They are, it's just that the specific gallery linked is no longer there/available. You can edit the linked URL to remove the gallery hierarchy and be just the main page for the artist: https://www.deviantart.com/pauldanieljohnson/

esmdev
November 27th, 2018, 15:36
They are, it's just that the specific gallery linked is no longer there/available. You can edit the linked URL to remove the gallery hierarchy and be just the main page for the artist: https://www.deviantart.com/pauldanieljohnson/

I mostly pointed it out so that you might edit or remove the link. It looks bad for the owner to point to a dead link. :)