PDA

View Full Version : FG crashing - regular issue

kane280484
April 28th, 2016, 23:51
Ok, here's the screenshot. Unfortunately it's polish, but you can see the task manager window and CPU / RAM / disk usage / network usage in the columns.

What happens is FG suddenly drops from 300 MB memory usage to 15-20 MB and crashes. I run 5E without extensions other than mood lightning and core rulebook modules opened. Around 20 tokens are loaded, no more than couple of campaign entries. One of the players connects by Mac machine. What I mean is, we rather don't press FG very hard. Lightweight usage.

Can't find the reason behind it, maybe it's Windows 10 thing? As you can see, I am not running other stuff in the background. It happens once per session, so once per 6-7 hours. Ideas?

Moon Wizard
April 29th, 2016, 00:35
15-20 MB is definitely not correct, since the base 5E ruleset with an empty campaign and no tokens is about 500 MB on my machine. And, I'm pretty sure it's not a Windows 10 thing, since we have lots of people including myself running on Windows 10.

Do you have any memory of exactly what was happening when it crashed?
Anything that you or the player's were doing when it happened?
Does it just lock up and become unresponsive, or does it crash and disappear?
Have you tried without the mood lighting extension? (though I doubt that's the issue, it's always good to check.)

Thanks,
JPG

kane280484
April 30th, 2016, 22:59
This last time it happened, when one of the players (OSX) dropped from server and reconnected. But last time we were just typing sth into chat. It locks up and becomes unresponsive, I waited for like, 2-3 minutes and forced restart of FG.

Next time we play I will run clean FG and we'll see.

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2016, 04:38
One thing to be aware of, I've had FG appear to be hung when I share large images (maps) (and I suspect same would happen if I tried to share the entire MM or DMG etc). The GUI will not respond while the players are all downloading from me. Of course, it uses more memory that what you are indicating. But the few times I've mistakenly done a large map it has been more than a few minutes.

kane280484
May 1st, 2016, 10:30
I've learned also that large maps can cause this. But now I'm using mostly B&W old school type maps that weight about 150kB. I can't find a reason behind this crashes, otherwise I wouldn't bother anyone on the forums, I've been using FG for long enough now to know it's issues and limitations.

And to be honest if sharing DMG or 2MB file causes program to crash, it really needs updating. So the unity thing is a good direction. FG is a good, but an old piece of software.

damned
May 1st, 2016, 10:42
kane280484 every single computer is unique and has its own unique combinations of software and hardware and potential conflicts... the forums are not littered with posts about FG crashing so it suggests it is clashing with something on your computer....

kane280484
May 1st, 2016, 12:25
That's why I initially thought it's Windows 10 because I run it on two separate Windows 10 machines and each of them, no matter what campaign we play, crashes. So, any hints abut what conflict might we be talking about?

damned
May 1st, 2016, 13:09
That's why I initially thought it's Windows 10 because I run it on two separate Windows 10 machines and each of them, no matter what campaign we play, crashes. So, any hints abut what conflict might we be talking about?

Unfortunately no. Ive been running W10 for a long time and dont experience what you have there on any sort of consistent basis.
I never run 7 or 8 sessions like you do though.
I do very regularly have FG open for at least that amount of time but not running a game with players connected.

Have you tried exporting your characters and importing them into a new campaign and seeing if the problem persists?

kane280484
May 1st, 2016, 22:06
No, I will add that to the list and check out, thanks!