PDA

View Full Version : Internet Newbie here, Please Help

chadhill
April 28th, 2016, 20:12
How do I connect to an existing game, I have been reading through some of the threads and I realize that I am totally lost. I have an Alias and a password, but when I put the Alias in and try to connect it says that it cannot connect and to check the address. I do not know how to "open Ports" or change settings in the router? Is there a step by step somewhere that I can follow?

LordEntrails
April 28th, 2016, 20:42
Were you able to verify that the GM has his server up and running as suggested by Doug in the other thread? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31250-Help-Please

Moon Wizard
I think that there might be a disconnect on what you think that this product does, so let me give you an overview. If this is not the product you thought you were getting and you purchased it from our site or Steam, just send a note to [email protected], and we can arrange a refund.

Overview

Fantasy Grounds is designed to allow people to play pen-and-paper (PnP) role-playing games (RPG) online. It is designed as a virtual tabletop which tracks all the various communications, sheets, rulebooks and dice used for a pen-and-paper role-playing game in an online setting.

As in real life, PnP RPGs are a coordination between a group of people that decide to play a game together, and can range from a single session game (one-shot) to a multi-year campaign. Also, every RPG requires that one person assume the role of the game master, who presents the story to the other people in the group.

When using Fantasy Grounds to play online, you still need to find a game master who has an opening in their game session, in order to join a game. The best way to get involved in a game is to reply to existing game posts in the LFG forum, post your availability and desired games in the LFG forum, and check the game calender link at the top of the web site. It may take some time to find a game with an opening for a long term campaign, but there are also one-shot games posted on the site, especially for official organized play for D&D (D&D Adventurer's League) and Pathfinder (Pathfinder Society).

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
Hi chadhill. You can only connect to an existing game if the DM has the game open. When you connect to a game you are connecting to the GM's computer; it is his computer that is the server. So if you can't connect it means that the DM's game isn't online.

As a player you don't need to worry about port forwarding or anything like that.