PDA

View Full Version : Help, Please

chadhill
April 28th, 2016, 17:19
I am new here and can not figure out how to log onto a server, the server just opened last night and I have the alias, but when I hit start it tells me that it cannot connect to Server, to check address and try again. Is there something that I have to do on my end to connect, or a setting that I need to change or something.
All this "On-Line" stuff is new to me, so I am a Laman when it comes to the computer. Thank you for your patience

ddavison
April 28th, 2016, 17:30
Hello chadhill, welcome to the FG community.

Fantasy Grounds runs with a DM hosting a game on their server and then players connecting. This involves the DM actively launching the game and accepting connections with the alias that they provide. It is probably the case that the DM launched the game last night but has since closed down the session. Before going further, please check with your DM to see if the server is still running. If it is still running and you can't connect, then ask the DM if anyone else can connect.

chadhill
April 28th, 2016, 21:14
yes, it went up yesterday, I have the alias and password

chadhill
April 28th, 2016, 21:15
can I connect to a server from my own computer? like have two windows open to see what it is like as a dm and a player?

ddavison
April 28th, 2016, 21:20
Okay, if you are the DM and you want to connect to yourself from another computer in your network, you should use the internal IP address. If you want to run a player and a DM instance on the same computer, you should not use the alias and should instead use the word localhost

chadhill
April 28th, 2016, 23:20
ok, thanks, haven't tried that

chadhill
April 28th, 2016, 23:23
Thank you that worked, now I am connected to me