PDA

View Full Version : Holy damage as a damage type

merkvah
April 28th, 2016, 05:53
Hail, adventurers!

Please pardon if this has been asked and answered here already... I spent some time searching for it, but I could not find the answer.

I am running a homebrew Pathfinder campaign right now (not PFS) in which my PCs are chosen by the Sun god to help end a demonic invasion. I'm trying to give them a cache of Holy weapons from the Sun god, but when I add the damage type to the weapon, as seen below, it continues to deal the extra 2d6 vs all, not just vs evil. Do I have this right? Also, it does not bypass the dr of the demons we're trying to fight... did I mess up the damage types here?

Thanks for your help... I sincerely appreciate it!

Merkvah

Moon Wizard
April 28th, 2016, 06:33
That's because "holy" isn't a valid damage type in Pathfinder, so the bonus is applied as a straight damage bonus (which inherits the base damage type of the damage roll).

The damage types that the Pathfinder ruleset in FG supports are:

Weapon Types = bludgeoning, piercing, slashing
Magic Weapon Types = magic, epic
Material Types = adamantine, cold iron, silver
Energy Types = acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic, force, positive, negative
Alignment Types = chaotic, evil, good, lawful
Special Types = nonlethal, spell, critical, precision

If you only want the extra damage to occur "only" when attacking an evil creature, it will actually require adding an effect to the character in the combat tracker. "IFT: ALIGN(evil); DMG: 2d6 positive" or something like that. Use a duration of zero to make the effect permanent, and toggle it on/off when needed. You can add it to the campaign effects list to have it waiting for your game.

Alternately, you could add the requisite damage types to have the weapons bypass resistances for demons/devils ("cold iron, good, silver") instead.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
April 28th, 2016, 13:47
As JPG says, "holy" isn't a damage type - holy weapons are actually counted as "good". So you'll need to give the "good" damage type to the weapon, as well as adding the conditional effect that JPG suggests to the PC on the Combat Tracker; or you could add it into the effect: "DMGTYPE: good; IFT: ALIGN(evil); DMG: 2d6". In either case, of course, you 'll need to ensure that the effect is only turned on when the PC is using the weapon in question.

merkvah
May 1st, 2016, 18:25
Thanks, all. =) we play on Wednesday, so I've got a few days to figure out what y'all just said. =)

I appreciate the help though!
Merkvah