PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Effect

Zarrin
April 27th, 2016, 08:15
I am trying to create a permanent effect on the character sheet actions tab for a magical item my character received in a game.

The item is called the "whip of Warning" - Quote " This Magic weapon warns you of danger. While the weapon is on your person, you have advantage on initiative rolls."

I am trying to figure out how to set this up. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to FG. Is it possible to code it so that it must be in the inventory to work and it also needs to be attuned to work.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2016, 09:49
HI Zarrin.

First of all here's a link to some reading materia (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects)l on effects which might help you get your head around them.

The effect you want will be ADVINIT which can sit on the PC permanently (see the article for how to set that up). There isn't a way for FG to test to see if something is in the inventory so you won't be able to automate it to that extent; also whether something is attuned or not is a 'Theatre of the Mind' thing and again FG can't test for such a thing.

Zarrin
April 27th, 2016, 19:32
Thanks you for the help, I have looked at that page before, it is a bit confusing to me, but that comes with being new to it. I am still trying to figure out how to put that into my actions tab on the character sheet as a power that is active when battle starts. I will fiddle with it some more. Thanks again.

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2016, 19:54
Follow the detail on this part (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Creating_Effects_-_Player_Characters) of the article.

You want to select 'Effect' from the radial menu. Click on the magnifying glass and then type in ADVINIT into the conditions box. The only other box you need to change is the 'Targeting?' box until it says 'Self'. Now when your character is on the Combat Tracker click on the little running man icon next to the effect you created and it will place that effect on them. Every time you roll initiative after that you will do so with advantage to the roll.

ffujita
April 27th, 2016, 19:59
Edit: Zacchaeus has provided a much better answer more quickly than I did. You might find mine funny, but probably not :) That's what I get for taking so long to compose a reply.

Off the top of my head:
1) get thee to thine action tab
2) Clickest thou on the edit circle
3) Then, clickest on the powers button
4) Behold the new power that hast been created by thy previous click.
5) Name thy new power -- I wouldst name mine "Whip of Warning"
6) Name thine new power's power category -- I wouldst name mine "Magic Items"
7) Using the right button of thine mouse, clickest on the power "Whip of Warning" of the group "Magic Items"
8) Choose from the radial button the "Add an Action" option, and from the new radial button the "Effects" option.
9) Click on the magnifying glass to the right of the empty effect.
10) type in "ADVINIT"
11) Choose for the Targets --> SELF
12) leave the rest of the buttons the way they are.
13) Praise mighty Pelor, whose humble servant hast provided you with such arcane knowledge!

Zarrin
April 28th, 2016, 20:52
Thank You Zacchaeus and ffujita my quest for knowledge has been successful.