PDA

View Full Version : Can players share modules with the DM?

Eyrae
April 27th, 2016, 03:34
So I have a group that wants to spread the love around when it comes to buying modules, including the PHB, DMG, etc... I know that if the DM buys them, he can share them to us in game, but does it work the other way as well? Can we each buy a module and share them together in our game?

Blahness98
April 27th, 2016, 04:22
As in you buy it, download it and then give it to someone else in your group? If so, then no, that would not be legal. If you buy it and gift it to the DM who then shares it via FG, then yes that would be ok. If you bought the module and then DMed using it, then yes that would be legal. If you created the module and passed it around, that would be illegal*. If you created a module and used it as a DM, that would be ok. Hope this helps...

*Unless it is covered under OGL and you only shared the OGL covered content with the proper OGL disclaimer, that would be ok. Or if it was a PFS scenario and you followed all the rules for PFS module sharing.

Eyrae
April 27th, 2016, 04:31
You misunderstand... Ok, so if I decide to DM a game, I know that I can share all the modules that I have bought with my party. That much is a none issue. This is similar to real life, where if the DM bought all the books, he could then bring them to the game where everyone benefits... My question is, does this work in the opposite direction? In real life, a DM might buy the DMG, but one of his players might buy the PHB, or everyone might just pitch in together to purchase different campaigns and the like. When a player joins a DM's game, can the player share modules in Fantasy Grounds in the same way that the DM can share them?

Moon Wizard
April 27th, 2016, 04:32
No, the player can still access the modules locally, if the GM allows; but they can not share with the GM or other players.

Regards,
JPG

Eyrae
April 27th, 2016, 04:34
Thank you! =)