PDA

View Full Version : Removing Dice from the Table Top

chanceboon
April 27th, 2016, 00:10
Well, with a little help from several folks on the forum, digging through a couple of extensions (especially Move Dice) I was able to work up an extension that successfully removes dice from the table top.
The extension, as it stands, removes all dice except the d10 but I documented it pretty heavily so you should be able to set it to show whatever dice you want fairly easily.

Thanks again for the help!

damned
April 27th, 2016, 10:38
Huzzah! Now that you have started down a slippery slope... :)

Fudly
July 3rd, 2016, 21:31
Thanks for this. I think the dice are super obnoxious, so I edited it to remove all of them (and get rid of whatever the dF die is, so that it works for 5e without errors). You can still roll whatever you want in game with: /die [NdN+NdN+N] <message> (ie /die 1d8+1d6+3 I deal damage with my flaming longsword), or better yet drag your chat input containing "/die 1d20" to your hotkey bar. That way you can roll instantly with one click and never have to reposition your dice again.

Andraax
July 3rd, 2016, 22:43
So, how do you add dice to weapons? Or customize the table rolling? You have to drag the dice to modify those - you can't drag a "/die xxx" string...

Zacchaeus
July 3rd, 2016, 22:51
I think the idea is that you roll real dice rather than virtual ones but I could be wrong. Otherwise I'm not too sure why you'd want to remove the dice.

Fudly
July 3rd, 2016, 22:56
So, how do you add dice to weapons? Or customize the table rolling? You have to drag the dice to modify those - you can't drag a "/die xxx" string...
Sure you can dude. Type "/die 1d8+2d6+3 I deal damage with my longsword" into the chat text box and then instead of hitting enter drag it to your macro bar.

Although, I wouldn't make a lot of macros like that. I play with the character sheets. If you want to deal damage with your longsword, you target the mob (by holding ctrl and clicking it) and then double clicking the damage on your longsword in your character sheet.

Fudly
July 3rd, 2016, 22:59
I think the idea is that you roll real dice rather than virtual ones but I could be wrong. Otherwise I'm not too sure why you'd want to remove the dice.

The dice waste screen real estate and are redundant. You don't need them. They're just in the way.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 11:49

You would have to create a new weapon with the new damage. For the tables you don't actually need any dice in the dice box unless you want to roll something non standard such as d6+d8. If you do want to have a non standard roll though it wouldn't be possible without the dice.

It's still fascinating to see just how flexible FG is though, that it can even cater for this kind of thing.

viresanimi
July 4th, 2016, 14:26
It doesn't remove all dice. The plus minus die from Fate is still there. How to I get rid of that?

Vires Animim

Andraax
July 4th, 2016, 14:27
Sure you can dude. Type "/die 1d8+2d6+3 I deal damage with my longsword" into the chat text box and then instead of hitting enter drag it to your macro bar.

That doesn't apply the damage automatically to the target. And if you want to customize the dice the weapon does, you cannot do so without having dice to drag.

Andraax
July 4th, 2016, 14:29
If you don't like the dice where they're at, why don't you just drag them all into a pile in a corner somewhere, and save their new position (so that they always go back there when you're not using them)?

Fudly
July 4th, 2016, 15:36
That doesn't apply the damage automatically to the target. And if you want to customize the dice the weapon does, you cannot do so without having dice to drag.

Well, that's obnoxious. It seems the players need dice to add weapons, and the GM needs dice to make a custom table.

It doesn't remove all dice. The plus minus die from Fate is still there. How to I get rid of that?
Unfortunately, you can't remove "all" the dice. You have to specify them individually. I added an attachment that removes the fudge die.

Nickademus
July 4th, 2016, 17:05
Can you hotbar a die first and then enable the extension? You should be able to drag the die from the hotbar to the UI for new weapons and tables.

Fudly
July 4th, 2016, 17:07
Can you hotbar a die first and then enable the extension? You should be able to drag the die from the hotbar to the UI for new weapons and tables.

Unfortunately not. Once you enable the extension, it breaks those macros.

Nickademus
July 4th, 2016, 17:35
What about having the extension put the dice at a negative location (off the screen). Should keep the macros working then.

Fudly
July 4th, 2016, 17:37
What about having the extension put the dice at a negative location (off the screen). Should keep the macros working then.

That sounds like a good idea.

Fudly
July 4th, 2016, 17:46

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. It keeps the dice on the screen.

I suspect the dialogs that require dice could be changed to have a text field instead, but that's above my knowledge of editing the interface right now.

Valacar
May 7th, 2017, 21:52
Another thanks for this - We use FG in person and don't need the dice taking up screen space on the maps.