PDA

View Full Version : Installing on a Mac

Viademonster
April 26th, 2016, 23:24
I just purchased Fantasy Grounds and the guide on the home page told me I needed to use the wineskin app to make it work on a Mac. I went to download wineskin and their website says it has not worked for El Capitan since October of 2015 with no time frame for a fix. What are my options?

ddavison
April 27th, 2016, 00:11
We managed to get it working okay with WineSkin 2.6.1 and updating the WINE Engine to 1.7.52

From my notes when I was working with Zeus on this:

1. Open the WineskinWinery.app
2. Click on the Wineskin Update button - this updates the Winery to include the latest wrapper version 2.6.1
3. After the new wrapper is installed, close the Winery app.
4. Right click /Applications/FantasyGrounds.app
5. Open Wineskin.app
6. Click Advanced button
7. Click Tools button
8. Under Wrapper tools, click Update Wrapper
9. A dialog appears warning you this is an undoable action, click ok
10. After the wrapper is updated, close Wineskin.app

I think there is also another step to update the WINE Engine. I may have to fire up my Mac again to check unless someone else has a screenshot handy.

damned
April 27th, 2016, 10:40
This article still works fine: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)
When it updates it will update to the current version which is El Capitan compatible.

Viademonster
May 1st, 2016, 19:50
Thank you for the tips!

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 15:17
Hi all,

I'm on a mac and in the same boat as Viademonster. I have a Steam account but there is not a option(maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it anywhere) for monthly subscription as you have on your webpage.
That's the reason I bought it with the PP option on your website. Could someone verify if there is a Steam store subscription option? Viademonster, did you managed to install the Wineskine app successfully on El Cap?
The computer I'm using for gaming is the same that I use for work, that's why I'm a little hesitant about new software installs and troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance

ddavison
August 20th, 2016, 15:52
There is no subscription option through Steam, but you can use the Demo from Steam with the sub license key. You can also wait another few months and activate the subscription key on Steam.

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 16:16
Thanks for the quick reply. Let me see if I get this straight,

If I download the demo version in Steam, could I use the same licensed key(Ultimate Subscription) that I bought from your web page with the Pay Pal option and upgrade it?
If not, could I buy the standard version from Steam and upgrade via your site? I see that there are add ons on Steam but it looks like there are only for Microsoft Windows, Its that true?
Whats the difference in terms of pros and cons between your site and Steam?

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 18:23
I just downloaded the Fantasy Grounds Demo from Steam.
Try to run it and it crashes on me every time I tried to open it.

Why is this happening?

My Computer Specs:

Please advice.

Psd. I open other games via Steam and they are playing fine.

dudeslife
August 20th, 2016, 18:52
I just downloaded the Fantasy Grounds Demo from Steam.
Try to run it and it crashes on me every time I tried to open it.

Why is this happening?

My Computer Specs:

Please advice.

Psd. I open other games via Steam and they are playing fine.

No FG Steam mac install has ever worked for me (multiple macs). Just use the wineskin tutorial. it works great.

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 19:04
Dudeslife,

Could you please point me in the right direction with the link for the wineskin tutorial?

dudeslife
August 20th, 2016, 19:06
Dudeslife,

Could you please point me in the right direction with the link for the wineskin tutorial?

it looks wordy and complicated but its not. takes about 3 minutes.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 19:21
Super thanks,

Do you know where I could download the mac version of FG?

dudeslife
August 20th, 2016, 19:24
Super thanks,

Do you know where I could download the mac version of FG?

there is no mac version. that's why you are using wineskin. simply put, it places a mac wrapper around a windows program.

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 19:27
Noted, thanks!

antdread
August 20th, 2016, 20:01
Successful install! Happy user!

Regards

Nylanfs
August 21st, 2016, 01:13
Hurrah

thedougalbug
October 8th, 2016, 15:07
WINE works great you could also use boot camp to partition a section of your hard drive off but you would need a copy of windows to do this.

The setup for WINE is tricky but as has been mentioned it works a treat!

Didn't see there a second page to this thread hence me being late to the party.. oops

dmbrown
October 9th, 2016, 23:25
I've had good luck with wine so far. Seems to me that it works better the steam since there is less overhead.