PDA

View Full Version : Forest tiles for map making?

TriOpticon
April 26th, 2016, 22:44
Starting to learn FG and adding an adventure. I have everything almost finished except the maps.

I was looking for a set of forest tiles that would let me build the map out how I like. Something with dirt roads, grass sections, different shades to represent thicker clumps of trees, etc. Water parts would be good, too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2016, 10:18
There's a sticky (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25227-Create-Maps-Using-Tiled-Map-Editor-XnConvert) above where someone talks about making maps with tiles

However before being able to answer your question we'd need to know what kind of drawing package are you using to put your map together?

TriOpticon
April 27th, 2016, 11:34
Thanks for the link.

I am up for using anything but I have used GIMP and Photoshop in the past.

damned
April 27th, 2016, 11:44
This is your easiest tool as a starting point: https://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/
Here is your best starting source for free tiles/objects: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download.htm#download
And here is a good list of tools: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary

TriOpticon
April 28th, 2016, 11:24
Thanks, damned. That tool is pretty neat. I quickly drew a rough forest map with it. I am no artist so when I say rough, I mean rough. Any tutorials using the tool to do things like make a nice path through a forest and steps for using the results with FG? I am still uncertain about the grid sizes, etc.

Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
April 28th, 2016, 11:55
(As far as I can see)
There's button on the top bar which allows export as png/jpg. Click on it and then 'create png' and then save. You can then import that into GIMP and export it as a jpg file with about 75% of the quality which will bring the file size down somewhat and make it easier to use in FG. You get it into FG by opening the folder (click on the images tab and then on folder) and drag or copy/paste the file in there. Or you can drag directly into the FG images window.

Whilst it's in GIMP I have no doubt you can do 'stuff' to it. The only thing I can't see at the moment is how you would draw the map so that the resolution is right for an FG grid; but damned will chip in with details as soon as the sun rises in Aussie land :)

Oh, and to create a path select the 'Brush' tool by clicking on the toggle at the top where it says brush and then pick a path icon. Now when you click on the map and then move it it 'paints' rather than lays down a grid of stuff.

damned
April 28th, 2016, 14:01
TriOpticon here is a 10min video on Pyromancers. I wasnt making a forest scene but a plonk a scrub/forest scene around the tower at the end.
Im no video expert and I have neither a head for TV or a voice for Radio so it is what it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpg_-fUrGnU

Work out how the layers work.
Make your map.
Then open another window and remake it and you will find the second go so much easier :)

TriOpticon
April 28th, 2016, 16:16
Thanks, damned and Zacchaeus. I actually watched that video several times. Anyway, I made this...It is supposed to be a path going through a thick forest with brush along the path...The dark green would be trees and the other green is brush/bushes.13885
I have not tried using it in FG but it looks a little better this time...just a little...

Zacchaeus
April 28th, 2016, 17:56
Thanks, damned and Zacchaeus. I actually watched that video several times. Anyway, I made this...It is supposed to be a path going through a thick forest with brush along the path...The dark green would be trees and the other green is brush/butI have not tried using it in FG but it looks a little better this time...just a little...

That's pretty good. One thing I would say is don't export the map with the grid (once you've finished and before you save it turn the transparency down to nothing). That way you won't have any problems putting the FG grid on it and won't have to worry about scale and stuff too much.

LordEntrails
April 29th, 2016, 00:05
One other suggestion is to place an off color square in one of the corners (but not the bottom right) that is 5 ft square. This way when you get to FG you can draw the grid over this square and it will align with other features.

damned
April 29th, 2016, 03:40
if you create the image yourself then the grid is fine - there is of course the matter of choice... :)
you can set the export grid size at the time of export. i usually use 50px
i would suggest that you chose 2 or 3 types of bushes and 2 to 4 types of trees and mix it up a little. Id also leave a bit of space between the trees - at least some times.

generally with pyromancers start at the bottom.
cover the whole map size with grass.
then do the road.
then do leaves, then rocks, ruins
then do bushes
then do trees - with the trees and bushes if you are using a couple of different types of each dont do all the oak trees first and then all the elm trees and then all the cyprus trees, occasionally switc between them. have a few clumps of one particular tree type. have a largish tree in a clearing by itself, maybe have a couple of vague trails through there :)

Also once you export it - open it in gimp and save a copy as JPG 40% and it will make the image much faster to share.

TriOpticon
April 29th, 2016, 18:46
Thanks for the tips! It is kind of fun making maps with that tool. Easy, too.