PDA

View Full Version : Fumble and vehicle toughness

Zacchaeus
April 26th, 2016, 20:48
I see that every weapon in SW has a number for 'Fumble' and I also see an option to change the 'Fumble' range on the radial menu. However I can't see any consequences of that except possibly the 'Innocent Bystanders' rule. Is that what the Fumble number is telling us? And I assume that it's there only for reference purposes; it doesn't actually do anything? Like telling you you need to make some rolls against some innocent bystanders because you missed badly?

And there's a sentence here in the rules which has me bamboozled:

"Toughness is the vehicle's base durability Armor, which is already figured into its Toughness (in parentheses)" What on earth does that mean? I've read it a dozen times and still can't make sense of it. The toughness value of vehicles is given as a number and another one in parenthesis like 9 (3). I'm assuming that the 9 is what you have to equal or exceed to damage it but what is the (3) for?

Skellan
April 26th, 2016, 23:12
I think the number in the in parentheses is how much of the toughness comes from armour. Its for reference as it is already included in the toughness value. If it lost the armour it would have 3 less toughness in your example.

I think the fumble is only used in certain circumstances, such as innocent bystanders

Mask_of_winter
April 26th, 2016, 23:47
Skellan is right about Toughness and Armor.

As for fumble, this was implemented in the ruleset to account for the shotgun for example.
The Innocent bystander rule is one of the effects of rolling a 1 on your Trait die. If you're using an Arcane Skill it can be Backlash. Different settings have their own Setting Rules (house rules) and have more effects for rolling 1 on your Trait die. And since GMs are encouraged to come up with their own Setting Rules due to Savage Worlds modular nature, the fumble range is there to alert the GM of what was rolled since only one result (out of the trait and wild die) is displayed. Hope that helps.

zarlor
April 27th, 2016, 00:44
On Toughness (Armor) values I would also note that armor value is also important when being hit by something that has AP. So if your 9(3) truck were hit with an AP2 weapon the effective toughness it would be hitting would be only 7. If it were AP5 the effective Toughness would be 6 (Because the most armor it could penetrated would b 3 so the extra 2 AP could be ignored.)

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2016, 10:13
Jolly good; thanks chaps that does indeed clear it all up.

And I have seen that chat output which says that something rolled a natural 1 so that must be the fumble kicking in.

With these explanations I can finalize some more bits of the Wiki.