PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Curse of Strahd Campaign - Tuesday Nights

JBeesing
April 24th, 2016, 18:47
FG License: I'll be DM'ing. I have an ultimate license and all of the 5E software.
Game System: DnD 5E
Time Zone: I'm in Mountain Time (Denver)
Day of week and time: Tuesday nights, 6PM Mountain Time
Planned start date: Tuesday, May 3rd.
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Curse of Strahd is intended to take a 1st level character up to 10-11th level. This should take us a few months to accomplish.
Text or Voice: Skype
Voice software used: Skype
Roleplay & Combat mix: Curse of Strahd has quite a bit of role playing in it. I'll be looking for players who can roll play. But don't worry, there will be plenty of combat as well.
Number of Players in game & needed: I already have a paladin and a fighter lined up. I still need the rest. I'm hoping to have 6 characters for this adventure.
Character starting level & equipment: We'll be starting at 1st level. Using all character options in the Player's Handbook and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. I may force a background on one or two of you.
Character restrictions: No evil characters.

Details: For those of you who are not familiar with Curse of Strahd (or Ravelnoft), it is a Gothic horror adventure, and it is a very open environment. After a small amount of railroading your characters to get them to third level, I will, essentially, open the world up to you. This will allow you - to a large degree - travel anywhere you like within the confines of the world in which the adventure resides. Your ability to survive in these areas will be highly dependent on your decisions regarding where you go. If you find yourself in an area which is over your head, you may just need to run and fight another day.

You will need to keep a "to do" list. You'll receive a significant number of quests, helping the inhabitants of this world. They, in turn, will help you in your struggle against Strahd.

I would appreciate it if we didn't have any metagamers or rules nazis among the group. I would like to be the game's only rules nazi :-). I'll bend those rules when it helps the story move forward. There is a lot of information that you can glean from the inhabitants and foul creatures of this world. Good role playing will allow you to extract that information - information you can use to help you complete quests or defeat Strahd.

If you have already played the adventure - or know the content of the adventure - that's ok. Just please tell me ahead of time. As long as you are able to convincingly role play, and not present information that your character would not have, I'll be fine with it. If I think you're metagaming in this way, I'll have to throw come curve balls. These curve balls may be ... unpleasant.

My wife will be one of the players. She's a dwarf fighter and she's already rolled her character. She and I have been having a great time playing another adventure, and we have decided it's time to unleash Strahd on the world.

I would like to be there when the characters are rolled. The system I will use for rolling ability scores is as follows: Roll 4d6 for each ability. Drop the lowest die, and any 1's remaining become 2's. After that, you can use whatever race / class combination you like. If I contact you about joining the game, we can roll the character together on Fantasy Grounds some day before Tuesday the 3rd of May.

We're hoping that our players have some experience with Fantasy Grounds, but that's not a hard requirement. We don't even have all THAT much. But we can help any newbies if necessary.

Pakapook
April 24th, 2016, 19:23
I would love to join this game. I don't know if your time is set in stone but if you could move it an hour maybe two ahead? I would be able to join then. If it is, no big deal hope you all have fun.

JBeesing
April 24th, 2016, 19:37
I'm sorry, but I'm coordinating with players across a couple of times zones, so 6PM Mountain Time is the only slot that really works for us all.

Pakapook
April 24th, 2016, 19:41
I'm sorry, but I'm coordinating with players across a couple of times zones, so 6PM Mountain Time is the only slot that really works for us all.

Hey that's no problem man. Hope you all have fun. If anything changes send me a msg.

GhastlyMike
April 24th, 2016, 20:02
I would like to join this game if possible. I have just recently started playing D&D at my local game store and am really into it. I just recently purchase FG but have not yet played in any games. I am in the Pacific time zone but can easily make the 6pm Mountain time zone work.

jenovvson
April 24th, 2016, 20:35
I'd like to join. I'm somewhat new though I have nearly gotten the hang of character creation.

BloodyRackham
April 24th, 2016, 21:01
I would love to join this! I'm in eastern time but this sounds like a good time for me.
I'm failry new to DnD though. I've played most of the CRPGs and I own the 3.5 e rule books and the newest DnD starter set along with the legend of drittz board game so I am familiar with the rules. I also watch live streams of DnD being played.

The only reason I've never played before is because I've found it hard to assemble a group. I'm open to playing any class but I'm most interested in wizard. I've always wanted to play a ravenloft game.
Thanks for your consideration :)

Oh and I own the unlimited fantasy grounds license if that helps at all.

jcroci
April 24th, 2016, 22:19
I'd like to join. I'm relatively new to Fantasy Grounds but experienced in 5th edition and Tuesday nights (EST) work great for me.

inexorable
April 24th, 2016, 23:41
Sounds like an interesting game. I've never played any kind of Ravenloft game but have heard plenty about it. Read a few of the books back in the day when they had a crossover between Strahd and the Knight of the Black Rose. Anyway, consider me interested. I don't have any experience playing 5th edition but I have read through the players handbook. Good luck with your game either way.

Koreapsu
April 25th, 2016, 00:18
Can we get a calendar link?

Super useful to the rest of the world who don't run on American times.

keeperofsouls
April 25th, 2016, 04:59
As a young noble Tosan Wedrun was kind soul with a mother that was caring and a father that he loved. Life was simple. That was until his father found out he had been betrayed. Tosan is the love child of his mother. For that his father punished his mother. Tosan while losing the respect of his father was kept taken care of until he grew of age.. Tosan hates his mother for the betrayal of a man he respects and hopes to gain his respect in turn someday. Tosan is manipulative vicious and cunning in the game politics and has done some bad things for the goals of his family.

Tosan is a wizard with constant studies and the slow thought he often does what is smart not really caring for the good or bad of something. He sees the world as a set of rules they can be bent the can be twisted but to break them is chaos. Those of chaos are not protect by the rules. Being a noble he is use to being in charge. He however doesn't believe those around have to know it. Having someone take the spot light while taking his orders knowingly or not is his preference.

This is a character that I have been thinking of playing but am willing to change to something else. I prefer to roll play over combat most important is for everyone to get along and enjoy the adventure. I am 30 and I have been playing 5th dnd for a over a year now and I have been using fantasy grounds nearly as long. My first time playing dnd was stretch's back to about 13 years old. I love fun co-operative play and really want to play this module. I can help a lot with those more mundane technical questions.

I have been trying to get into game with this module since it came out please consider me!

Wildkat
April 25th, 2016, 14:49
I am also very interested in joining in this campaign. I have over a years experience with 5E playing a druid. I would very much like to roll a new character, and was thinking along the lines of a stealth monk/ninja. I am in EST, but I can certainly make 6PM MST on Tuesdays work. Let me know if you would have room for a monk in your adventure :) I haven't played Fantasy Grounds, but have watched the tutorial videos, and am very familiar with D&D 5E. I wont hold up the group.

Shadow is in trouble. He has been kicked out of the only home he has ever known, and this time for good. He had been caught lurking in the shadows one too many times, and had overheard one too many secrets for his own good it would seem. The monastaries head priest had called him in to his study, and told him in no uncertain terms that he would no longer be welcome at the monastary.

But all is not lost. Shadow may not look like much in his simple robes, and unarmed state. Yet his hands are his daggers, his feet and quickness his armor. Shadow has stalked his namesake since he can remember, it is afterall how he earned the only name he has ever answered to. He know the dark, understands how to be unseen and stealth.

Shadow is a survivor, and he is ready to offer his skills to worthwhile causes.

NotRussellCrowe
April 26th, 2016, 02:14
Hi!

What time are you looking to play until? Start time is fine for me as it is 7pm CST, I'd be good for a couple of hours at least but I work 7-3 Mon-Fri so I cannot commit to long sessions on weeknights unfortunately.

I only have the free version of FG right now as I've never done any online D&D but looking to learn. Been playing 5e since release, mostly as a DM but want to be a PC more. I'm currently reading the CoS campaign but I can certainly not metagame it. It's slow going so I'm not far into it anyways. Always loved Ravenloft in the 2e days (skipped all of 3e and 4e) and just started back with 5e so this would be perfect!

My first choice for character is a halfling war cleric. I'm open to changing my race and class to better fit the group.

Thanks and enjoy!

JBeesing
April 26th, 2016, 04:27
Thank you to all of you who have responded to this thread. I've made appointments to roll characters with some of you. Those players I've scheduled appointments with will fill out our roster nicely for this adventure. However, I will be referring back to this thread over the next month or two. If I lose a player for any reason, I'll be looking here for those who have said that they were interested.

Thanks again for all your intersest.

tfoxsail
April 29th, 2016, 18:22
Guessing you are full up at the time but I would love to play! Haven't played a caster in ages but would love to give a go with a sorcerer, warlock, druid, or a cleric. Have also played melee classes so whatever spot you would need filled wouldn't be a problem.

Hecklerus Prime
May 1st, 2016, 02:05
I'm interested in joining if you happen to have a slot open up sometime. I'm a seasoned D&D player (10+ years), although only about a year on 5e, and we've been using FG almost since its inception. I've had the same group the entire time and have, until recently, been the sole DM. I'm available 7-11 EST (5-9 MST). I'm not sure how late you plan on playing, but hopefully that won't be an issue. My group plays on Mondays or Thursdays, so a Tuesday game won't be much of a hassle for me. I travel frequently for work (often to Denver, actually), which sometimes leads to a missed session if I have to work late with the customer. This doesn't happen often, though. I enjoy a thorough mix of roleplay and combat and am adept at playing any group role. You might be bale to glean some of my playstyle based on my Obsidian Portal campaign (link in signature). Other than that, let me know if you' have a spot open up or any other questions. Thanks.

DMZeff
May 1st, 2016, 21:00
Hello, I'm interested in joining your party. The time works perfectly for me and the way that you described how you run your table is something that I can identify with and appreciate.

I'm aware of the importance of separating what I know against what my character knows and feel that I do a good job playing characters true to how I write them. I'm new to FG, but I've already got a good grasp on it. I'm a good communicator. I haven't had to call a session in years, but should something come up that prevents me from showing, I'll let you know in advance.

Between the RP and combat aspect of D&D, I enjoy both, but I think what makes the game successful is the people and the stories. You can have all kinds of combat, but if the story elements aren't there it's not going to create meaningful memories that keep people coming back.

I'm leaning toward Cleric or Wizard

Seya
May 2nd, 2016, 18:43
I would love to join this game. I can play anything needed. Favs are pally or wizard

iagojsnf
May 2nd, 2016, 19:16
Hey! I would love to join you guys. I've never played ravenloft but I have experience with DND. So if you still need a player, I wouldn't mind playing any kind of character, just want want to play ravenloft for the first time.

Zulkee
May 2nd, 2016, 23:44
Hello, I sure would like to join your campaign, I am EST so it should not be a problem, I would like to run a High Elf Wizard, also I am new to the FG way of playing... currently I have been playing using roll20.

Bluesmusic
May 3rd, 2016, 02:12
Hi, I'd be happy to join and am flexible on creating a character and background based on what the party needs. I'm also consistent at showing up. Tuesday nights work well for me.