PDA

View Full Version : My laptop is not my PC!

ransolot
April 24th, 2016, 05:25
Hey all, so I just had something happen that's never happened before- I was just out on my laptop messing around in FG and a dude just popped in that was on my FG server that was from my PC earlier today. They have different server alias addresses so how does that happen?

Mask_of_winter
April 24th, 2016, 05:55
The alias is still attached to your IP. The alias is just a bridge. And that remains the same as long as you're in the same location.

dulux-oz
April 24th, 2016, 05:56
Your PC and your Laptop are both probably using the same External IP address - the Server alias simply replaces the External IP Address with the four words, and there is nothing to stop the same External IP Address from having two Server Aliases.

Damn! Ninja'd by Mask :ninja:

ransolot
April 24th, 2016, 05:57
I've never once had this come up in the past. I've even been on my laptop and had players try to connect and I've had to say "Oh crap, you were on my PC, that's right"

ransolot
April 24th, 2016, 05:57
So I should click and check external IP address and see if they are matching up?

dulux-oz
April 24th, 2016, 05:58
So I should click and check external IP address and see if they are matching up?

They probably will be, especially if you are using NAT, etc

ransolot
April 24th, 2016, 06:01
Is it something I can manually change if they are?

dulux-oz
April 24th, 2016, 06:58
Is it something I can manually change if they are?

Nope - not unless you want to pay for a second ISP and the phone-line/cable/sat-dish to take it :)

Mask_of_winter
April 24th, 2016, 07:03
If you don't want anybody to barge in on your server or uninvited while you're prepping just set up a password.

damned
April 24th, 2016, 08:15
You probably have your router setup for UPnP. If you want this to not happen you can manually port forward the tcp1802 to your PCs LAN IP and then it will always only point to the PC LAN address.

ransolot
April 24th, 2016, 15:06
I've heard about this port forwarding thing a few times before but have no idea what it is or how to do it. Is there a "how to" somewhere that I can look up how to do this?

damned
April 24th, 2016, 15:09
I've heard about this port forwarding thing a few times before but have no idea what it is or how to do it. Is there a "how to" somewhere that I can look up how to do this?

Go here and look up your router model....
https://portforward.com/
You are forwarding tcp 1802 to your PC
Also set a dhcp reservation for your PC so it always has the same IP address