PDA

View Full Version : Combat tracker

Myrdin Potter
April 24th, 2016, 02:33
One issue I have with the combat tracker is that if I make an NPC visible, they often are named things like "Orc 5". If the other 4 Orcs are not visible yet, then I just told the players that there are at least 5. The same issue happens with mouse over on tokens.

I also started running Prices of the Apocalypse and on the way from Phandalin, the characters ran into cultists before they ever reached Red Larch (being a little non-specific here to avoid some spoilers). The name for the tokens/combat tracker clearly revealed the exact name of the cultists which was a way to early reveal. In that case I erased the part of the name that gave it away too much.

Am I doing something wrong, is there some work around I should know about?

ffujita
April 24th, 2016, 02:57
There is a campaign option to randomly assign numbers -- watch your PCs freak out when you only have 1 Redbrand, but he's listed as Redbrand 7.
It would be awesome if you could have an ID function in the combat tracker -- Humanoid 15 would turn into Abra Dos when you clicked an ID button. But I don't think anything like that exists.

Andraax
April 24th, 2016, 03:17
Yeah, I always use the "random numbers" option. My players freaked the first time they encountered "Goblin 83"... :-)

LordEntrails
April 24th, 2016, 04:26
You can rename the NPC type in the encounter before you add it to the CT, that way the cultists don't reveal their name/type and if you combine with the random number option, the PC's can't metagame as much. Just know that you don't want to rename all the NPC types to "humanoid" because then you can't keep track. But you can do something like 'monks', 'soldiers', 'armed humans' and such.

gqwebb
April 24th, 2016, 04:48
Pic for options if needed

damned
April 24th, 2016, 08:19
There is a campaign option to randomly assign numbers -- watch your PCs freak out when you only have 1 Redbrand, but he's listed as Redbrand 7.
It would be awesome if you could have an ID function in the combat tracker -- Humanoid 15 would turn into Abra Dos when you clicked an ID button. But I don't think anything like that exists.

It is a good feature - but it wont append a number of there is only one. You can always add a number manually just to keep them guessing :)

Myrdin Potter
April 25th, 2016, 04:57
The community support here is great. Thanks!

kylania
April 25th, 2016, 05:42
I've had a few time where I've heard someone say "Ok, that was #7, now where are the other three??" Then again, we've also had times where "Rogue 11" has become a fan favorite and players have cheered him on as he makes save after save and dodge after dodge being apparently unkillable.