PDA

View Full Version : Spell/Ability Requiring a NPC Saving Throw

Kontroar
April 23rd, 2016, 14:01
My players and I were wondering if there is some way to report back the results of a saving throw on the player client. This would include spells like Sacred Flame and Vicious Mockery. I wasn't sure if there is a setting I'm missing or if perhaps an extension exists. We use to play with "remove target on miss" which would indicate when the spell failed. That resulted in other hurdles with regards to AoE spells and Multiple attacks.

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2016, 14:16
If you want to have players see the result of the saving throw set the option 'Chat: Show GM Rolls' to 'On'. However this will show all DM rolls to the players and you might not want that. If you want to be selective on what rolls the players see then set this option to off. When you want the players to see a roll, drag it in chat and drop it elsewhere in chat and it will broadcast it to everyone.

For removing targets on miss set that to 'Multi'. This will only remove targets who make successful saving throw if multiple targets are selected. If only one target is selected then the target will not be deselected on a successful saving throw.

Kontroar
April 23rd, 2016, 20:08
Starting with a clean test campaign. I created a test cleric and two goblins. If I target one goblin and cast, it won't deselect the goblin regardless of success/failure on the saving throw. However, if I multi target two goblins and cast Sacred Flame, it will deselect a goblin if that goblin succeeds. Multi works fine, as long as, there are multiple targets. It's when you have a single target spell that it does not deselect. Granted, I am not thinking this is a bug. I believe it is working as intended.

You would be correct that I'm not really interested in showing all DM rolls.

I had not considered the drag-drop back into the chat box, but alas, that would be similar to me simply expressing it over Ventrilo. I do appreciate the suggestion though and will file that away for future use.

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2016, 20:35
Indeed, this is working as intended. I believe there was a problem at one time where if a single target was removed on a miss then any damage which should have been applied (such as the half damage on a success from certain spells) could not be applied automatically. Thus single targets remain targeted even on a success and even where no damage would be applied on a success.

I may be speculating though and relying on unreliable memory. At any rate your players will just have to hold back on rolling that damage dice until you give them the all clear to roll :)

Kontroar
April 23rd, 2016, 22:37
Preaching to the choir on "unreliable memory", I've had this feeling in the back of my mind that I asked this exact thing before...like maybe a year ago. :p

I agree the players can simply wait that extra moment for verification. It wouldn't be any different if we were at a real table. If nothing else, it can allow for creatively indicating that the target was unaffected.

ffujita
April 23rd, 2016, 23:45
Let me ask a related question -- if the player jumps the gun and rolls damage, even though the creature succeeded in the saving throw -- is there any way I can just drag the damage back onto the monster (maybe holding alt or ctrl) and have it remove that damage -- I hate doing subtraction in my head to retype in the correct amount of damage to the creature.

LordEntrails
April 24th, 2016, 00:29
Drag it just like you said with ctrl and it will heal. Only thing to worry about is if you heal someone that is dying, the heal will give them more HP than they lost. But that's fairly rare and you can just handle that manually.