PDA

View Full Version : 2 newbie questions using FG Wizards Modules - Lost Mine Phandelver & Hoard

Bilbotorm
April 20th, 2016, 09:29
hi

Thanks to FG, I am able to restart playing RPG with old friends that live far away. I bought Lost Mine of Phandelver FG module and I am currently reading the story. I have a couple of questions thought:

1/ If I take Part 1, players will face a couple of fights/encounters that FG can transform into XP and share among players, but at the end of the part 1 store, text says : award 275XP per player, they should be at level 2 with this. 275 XP is almost a complete level 1 to level 2 reward, so does it mean I need to either reward 275XP for the whole part instead of the per encounter FG reward or shall it be both : XP reward per encounter + 275 XP at then end. I just want to avoid having my player leveling too fast vs the scenario expectations

2/ If we're all motivated, I intend to then move to the 2 Tiamat scenarios... problem they will be level 5 to start Hoard of the Dragon Queen. would you advise to adjust each encounter accordingly or to start from a different break point in the adventure. I haven't read it yet, so I don't know how it can be done, I googled a bit and found people saying we could start at part 4. Just wondering if there are people here that experienced that and what's their tought on it

thanks a lot :)

Bilbotorm
April 20th, 2016, 11:07
Erf ok, looks like I was too tired reading the scenario late yesterday

So 1/ is fixed :) Quoting the story: In the next part of the adventure, you'll award XP differently. The characters will earn experience points based on the monsters and traps they overcome, the NPCs they interact with, and the goals they accomplish. Ok so it makes sense now :)

Remains question 2/ if some people have experience to share on what would be the easiest/best way to get to hoard of the dragon queen, I am interested !

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2016, 12:50
You should be ok starting HotDQ at level 5. If too uses target based levelling (or whatever it's called) and in at least one of the chapters the players jump a whole level without (potentially) taking part in a single encounter. If the first encounters are too easy you can boost the numbers of monsters but it will eventually level itself out since you can ignore at least one of the level ups later.

My lot started this one at level 3 I think and some of the initial encounters were pretty brutal even at that level.

Bilbotorm
April 20th, 2016, 14:51
Thanks for that shared experience. I guess we'll be fine then, I'll try to prepare that scenario a bit in advance to see how i can link it, but was curious on how others did

thanks §

kylania
April 20th, 2016, 16:08
I ran my group through HotDQ as 6th level. I basically just beefed up HP on everything they were fighting, added a few spells to spellcasters and didn't award any XP or anything till they finished section 7 where the milestone leveling suggested bumping the group to 7th level. So now that we're at the end section they are caught up now.

Bilbotorm
April 20th, 2016, 20:44
Thanks !

Patou
April 20th, 2016, 21:21
I started my group at level one. I have not been using the award system at the end of each chapter unless the PC has still not reached it( from missing too many games). I play a local game via projector while using Fantasy Grounds. The PC's are currently mostly 6th level and they are in the Dungeon of Castle Naerytar in chapter 6. They are strong if you don't adjust the encounters. Mind you my players have all been gaming for over 15 to 20 years and they total 6 players.