PDA

View Full Version : New Owner with a possibly stupid question...

steev42
May 21st, 2005, 02:34
Having just bought this program, I'm in the process of typing up a module to run in my campaign.

Which leads nicely into the question. With regards to FG, what is the difference between campaign and module? For instance, I'm typing up [the latter half of] Flood Season for use in my currently running AIM Shackled City campaign. I set it up as a campaign...

Now, assuming that I continue this process, by the time I get to the end of the campaign, I have little belief that I would care to scroll through all the early module's personalities/maps/items/etc. to get to the current ones. So I guess my question becomes this... How do I limit the campaign per module? I might have missed it in my reading of the manual, but I don't think so.

Any help from people?

Oh, and btw, I'm loving the program thus far. Now if I can convince my pass-off GM and his fiancee that $55 isn't too much to spend for better experience online gaming.

richvalle
May 21st, 2005, 15:40
I think there are some other posts on this... they might do a better job on this then I'm about to do.

The campaign is the 'big' picture. Its what you use from start to finish. If you run two differnet games you'd have two different campaigns.

Modules are the adventures you can run in campaigns. While in the campaign you can load up modules. So you could create an adventure and load it up in both the campaigns.

Some portaits are campaign specific and some are global... it depends on where they are located. Images are campaign specific.

Which brings up a question... where do you create the material for you campaign(s)? I asked this question a while ago and MSD suggested creating a campaign called 'Create' and use it to create your masterpieces. Then export them and you can load them into your campaigns.

Hope that helps.

rv

Feanor_Finwed
May 21st, 2005, 18:43
Hello rv.

How do you export modules? Or any specific piece of content for that matter.

Thanks bud.

Feanor

richvalle
May 21st, 2005, 19:36
In the chat window type: /export name description (I think thats the order it goes in).

So you could do /export wa Wizards Amulet

That would create a wa.mod file and it would show up in the FG campagin as 'Wizards Amulet'.

rv

Feanor_Finwed
May 23rd, 2005, 18:30
Richvalle,

Thank you.

I seemed to be able to export some content, but what do you view it with? FG?

Thanks, and I apologize for the ignorance of these questions. I just can't find any help on this type of stuff here.

Feanor

richvalle
May 23rd, 2005, 19:10
Yes, its only used for FG. I think what it actually does is create a .zip file with the items FG needs to run the game (but FG puts a .mod tag on the end instead of a .zip). Maps and assorted .xml files. Someone said you can open the .mod file with winzip.

When the .mod file is put into the modules directory it shows up as a loadable module inside of FG.

So if you are running a campaign you could create 3 adventures for the players. Each would be a seperate .mod file. Inside the FG that you started up as that campaign you would load up the module you'll play with that night.

rv