PDA

View Full Version : Adventure compatibility

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2016, 20:00
So, I just bought the ruleset for Savage Worlds and I'm browsing the published adventures. It would seem that all of them are between 5 and 7 years old so the question is are they compatible with the ruleset which I have just bought? Or will I have to adapt them a bit to make them work (since it seems that there's been several iterations of the ruleset in that time).

ddavison
April 19th, 2016, 20:12
They should work, although they have gotten better over time in their construction.

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2016, 20:44
With such a stunning endorsement I'd better buy some then :)

ddavison
April 19th, 2016, 21:19
Adventures don't normally change too much. The biggest possible issue is with some of the settings that have a custom extension. Those have occasionally been out of sync, but normally get fixed pretty quickly after being reported.

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2016, 21:36
Indeed, it may well be that SW mechanics haven't changed in the same way as say D&D 4e and 5e has. But I've got one now so that's enough to get me started. I'm only doing it because damned keeps telling me that I should broaden my horizons :)

Mortar
April 19th, 2016, 22:22
Once you go Savage.....

You'll like the system, a lot of fun I find way more open to roleplaying.

Mask_of_winter
April 20th, 2016, 00:17
The only thing you may run into and I think the old Rippers is like that, is the old melee damage rules.
Str+1,2,3,4 etc.
Now Savage Worlds uses: Str+d4,d6,d8,d10 instead
So it's an easy conversion.
Other than that the SW rules haven't gone through any major changes for almost 10 years so even older adventure modules are fine.
But you can always pick up a more modern free one sheet (around a 1000 words) too.
Or shameless plug here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178362/Fuhgeddaboudit?src=slider_view&filters=0_0_1600_0_0

phantomwhale
April 20th, 2016, 05:25
To repeat what ddavison said, all the older adventures should be totally compatible and supported by the ruleset. More modern conversion efforts might contain some extra subtleties that weren't available a few years back

For instance, Encounters, where you can pre-set up a group of monsters and even their location on an image / map, such that they can be all added onto the combat tracker and map in one-click - that only got added in 2-3 years back at best, so older module you will just need to go through the effort of dragging X copies of the monster onto the combat tracker, and then drag X tokens from the tracker onto the map. Should only take < 1 minute, but it's nice to have it all one-click away !

Also rollable tables tend to be a newer thing.

That said, much of the conversions I've put out myself, now all a few years old, I regard as well constructed (good cross-links in the story entries, all the stats / abilities nicely referenced etc...) and have heard no complaints about, so I hope you'll be happy with any of those, or all the other SW adventure conversions put out there (as I've also not purchased a "bad" conversion for SW either).

Welcome to Savage Worlds - it really is a fun game; I wouldn't have had such fun building up the ruleset if it wasn't :)

damned
April 20th, 2016, 08:42
War of the Dead is pretty good or so I heard.... :)

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2016, 09:16
Thanks chaps. It's looking all good so far :)

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2016, 12:57
War of the Dead is pretty good or so I heard.... :)

Aha, yes I imagine, given the illustriousness of the authors of the FG version, it would be :)