PDA

View Full Version : Tip regarding 3rd party 5e products

Rimne
April 19th, 2016, 15:18
FYI, alot if not all of the 3rd party producs like the ones recently added to FG are widely regarded as detrimental game assets. Not worthless, rather having actual negative value to a 5e game. They may currently be in danger of generating bad purchasing experiences.

It may be an idea to clearly mark them as 3rd party products to compensate.

Cordially,
:)

jajen2003
April 19th, 2016, 15:31
FYI, alot if not all of the 3rd party producs like the ones recently added to FG are widely regarded as detrimental game assets. Not worthless, rather having actual negative value to a 5e game. They may currently be in danger of generating bad purchasing experiences.

It may be an idea to clearly mark them as 3rd party products to compensate.

Cordially,
:)

Hi Rinme,

This is an interesting theory. When you say "widely regarded" exactly whom are you referring to? Widely regarding implies multiple parties sharing a similar view. I simply have not heard that. I'd be interested to hear your source so I can make my own assessment on the issue.

Technically speaking, I would think all 5E products here on FG are 3rd party—only because the developers that execute the conversion from print to FG module do add some integrated functionality to the module that aims at increasing usability for both the player's and the DM's.

To be honest, at first glance this sounds like you're upset with a purchase you made. How are these products detrimental?

jshauber
April 19th, 2016, 15:32
Could you please explain what you mean by this?

I have quite a lot of 3rd party material for 5e, some in FG format most in PDF/print and have found most to be quite good. There are a few that I didn't like so I haven't gotten more from the publisher.

Nylanfs
April 19th, 2016, 15:42
"Caveat emptor" = Buyer Beware, and they are all clearly marked as not by Wizards of the Coast, but by other publishers. :)

ffujita
April 19th, 2016, 19:47
Well, my tip would be if you're a GM, and you're running a campaign, and you want or need ideas, then think of these 3rd party materials as a source of ideas. But if you are interested in Adventurer's League play, then they are prohibited. If you're a player and you want to include some additional stuff to your campaign, you need to discuss it with your DM -- offer to pay for the DM's purchase of the materials -- cause she's gonna need them, not you.

kylania
April 20th, 2016, 05:11
Even the official stuff isn't all as good as it should be. Just take a quick look through the clarifications needed to make sense of Hoard of the Dragon Queen (https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1909-HOARD-OF-THE-DRAGON-QUEEN-Author-Steve-Winter-Clarifies-A-Few-Points).

ddavison
April 20th, 2016, 05:25
There are always groups who will never run any third party content with any games they run. This is true for 5E and other game systems. There are other groups and DMs, however, who do want more content. As evidence, I present the rather large list of backers for Kickstarters from several of the game companies that are producing third party content. If you don't want those items in your game, then I would suggest that you simply ignore them. In your LFG posts or posts, letting the other players and DM (if you are not acting as the DM) know that you would not like to have your game running third party content.

damned
April 20th, 2016, 08:39
Hi Rimne in the Store the Wizards products are listed separately to the 3rd party products.

chanceboon
April 20th, 2016, 13:55
I'm not sure how a third-party product can have a detrimental value to your game...if you don't like it, then don't use it...not detrimental at all. The final decision of what is included in your game rests in the hands of your GM and players. If you all feel that one of the products is too powerful, too weak, or just poorly made, then don't use it.