PDA

View Full Version : Custom Potion Description Table

JohnD
April 19th, 2016, 01:58
I want to make a custom table to generate random descriptions for potions based on the chart on pages 221-222 from the AD&D DMG.

This table should have I suppose columns for; Appearance/Consistency, Transparency, Taste/Odor and Colour. I want to make one roll and have the results pushed to the chat window so I can just drag/drop into the description portion of the item.

I know how to make the columns - each result outputs into a separate line in the chat box.

Is there any way to have the output from the four columns all on one line in the chat window?

Alternatively, does anyone have an alternative suggestion on how to accomplish this? Obviously my goal is to make one roll and have a nice neat one line description in the chat box. Thanks for any suggestions.

Andraax
April 19th, 2016, 02:49
Create 4 tables, one each for your rolls, name them like "Appearance", "Transparency", "Taste", "Color". Then create another table that only has one entry - "[Appearance], [Transparency], [Taste], [Color]". It will do a separate roll on each of the four tables and output one entry with the results.

JohnD
April 19th, 2016, 03:02
Ah yes thanks Mario. Will try that tomorrow.

damned
April 19th, 2016, 03:21
Nice one Andraax!
Filed for future use.

JohnD
April 19th, 2016, 14:21
Create 4 tables, one each for your rolls, name them like "Appearance", "Transparency", "Taste", "Color". Then create another table that only has one entry - "[Appearance], [Transparency], [Taste], [Color]". It will do a separate roll on each of the four tables and output one entry with the results.

So I have this working. One problem - the output of each sub table is on a separate line.

So I'm not getting "Red Translucent Minty"... instead I'm getting;

Red

Translucent

Minty

I've tried with and without the "". Am I missing something?

EDIT - I guess this isn't a huge problem because I can drag multiple descriptors - at this point I'm asking mainly to learn how to do this properly, if that's possible in FG.

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2016, 15:00
You can't get output into one line. Each output goes to a separate line. What you have is about as good as you are going to get it I think.

JohnD
April 19th, 2016, 15:31
Alright. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a further learning opportunity.

Targas
April 19th, 2016, 19:18
What you can do is set the output to story instead of chat for the main table.
This will create lines for each part as well, but you can then cut and paste all together to the chat window in a more structured output.

JohnD
May 10th, 2016, 22:42
OK so I have my table. I made it in the 5E rules. Is there any way I can make it accessible in other rulesets (primarily C&C but it would be nice to know for general learning)?

Thanks. :)

Andraax
May 10th, 2016, 23:09
Open the module and change the ruleset tag in "definition.xml" from 5E to "Any".