PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy grounds.. but at what cost

sasigns
April 18th, 2016, 16:57
Our group is looking into moving from pen and paper over to FG as we have some people who are moving. FG is looking very attractive however some people are complaining about the cost for each player. We all already have the full set of hard cover books. Does each person need to get the character packs? and players handbook again. If the DM gets the total package can he share that out with all of the players?

Andraax
April 18th, 2016, 17:03
If the DM gets an Ultimate license and the books, the DM can share all that with the players (including hosting players with a free "demo" license). The players only need to buy a license and the books if they want to create / update their characters without connecting to the DM's computer between sessions (they can *view* their character without connecting, but they can't *update* it).

jajen2003
April 18th, 2016, 17:05
Hi Sasigns,

Welcome to the community.

So, let's talk bare minimums to get FG up and running for 5E groups.

Only one person, needs the Ultimate license. If one person has the Ultimate license, then everyone else can have the Free edition of the game.

If the price tag is too high for the Ultimate, then the monthly sub price should be more agreeable.

As far as the books (modules are concerned) again, only the DM needs these assets. I would get the PHB, the MM and the DMG.

But, if that is too much, the SRD versions of the these pubs do come free with the software. The SRD versions, are not the full-release versions of the books (modules), but you can play.

If you don't want to get the books, you can enter everything in manually. While this is a viable option, you'll end up spending WAY much more time prepping and entering information than you will playing.

If the DM gets the total package, then the DM can allow connected players to have access to those materials for building characters and the like. Do note, that the players will only have access to those materials while they are logged into the DM's host server while a game is being hosted. If players want offline access to those materials, they will each need their own.

TL;DR — Only 1 person needs Ultimate license and books to share with everyone else. If you don't get books, you have to type everything in by hand.

Best,
Jake

jshauber
April 18th, 2016, 17:18
Our group is looking into moving from pen and paper over to FG as we have some people who are moving. FG is looking very attractive however some people are complaining about the cost for each player. We all already have the full set of hard cover books. Does each person need to get the character packs? and players handbook again. If the DM gets the total package can he share that out with all of the players?

Hello and Welcome,

Depends largely on if one person will DM all the time in which case you can do as other have already explained (maybe have each player chip in a few bucks to help offset the costs if you choose to buy the already made versions of the books).

If you rotate DMs then each DM would need a copy of the books to allow access for the others that don't have it already. You can use the subscription option for hosting if you rotate DMs, just have the current DM pick up an ultimate sub while the former DM can let his sub drop and just play for free until he is ready to go again.

If you haven't yet seen what the PHB, MM and DMG in the store can do you might want to jump in a game or have a one-on-one session to check those out before deciding. The 5E rule set has a lot of automation built in that makes life as a DM and player much easier using FG.

LordEntrails
April 18th, 2016, 21:06
My groups (I run two of them) do exactly like jajen and Andraax suggest. I'm the only DM, I have a perpetual Ultimate license, and I have the PHB, MM, & DMG in the FG versions. When my players want/need, i just launch FG and let them connect to create or update their characters. Works great for us.

Nylanfs
April 18th, 2016, 21:31
Although if depending on how likely you think anybody else in the group might want to try DM it might make more sense to talk everybody in the the group into getting a full key.

damned
April 19th, 2016, 02:35
And if going Full License option for each player look at the Steam 4 packs for a decent saving.

If you havent played LMoP this is a good way to try FG out.

Get an Ultimate Sub and LMoP. Over 2 or 3 months while you complete this you will spend $40-50 (2 or 3 x $10 sub plus $20 LMoP).
Use the included Pre-Gens. Have the players each tip in $10.

At the end of that you will have a good idea what you want to do next in terms of cost.
Continue with Subs or buy Outright.
One Ultimate license or a bunch of Full Licenses.
PHB is a must.
You can play without the MM and DMG for a long time especially if you move onto another official FG module as they contain all the Monsters you need but eventually you will prolly buy them.

RudyBoe
March 29th, 2020, 08:07
Hi Guys,

I got FG during the sale a week ago and we started playing with some friends. Now more people want in, and I am reading up on this, and I wonder, are these three statements still valid today, With FG + SW Deluxe over steam?

1. The players only need to buy a license and the books if they want to create / update their characters without connecting to the DM's computer between sessions
2. Only one person, needs the Ultimate license. If one person has the Ultimate license, then everyone else can have the Free edition of the game.
3. If the DM gets the total package, then the DM can allow connected players to have access to those materials for building characters and the like. Do note, that the players will only have access to those materials while they are logged into the DM's host server while a game is being hosted. If players want offline access to those materials, they will each need their own.

Thanks in advance for your clarification!

Rudy

damned
March 29th, 2020, 08:11
The GM needs the resources.
The GM needs Ultimate or all players need standard.

If a player has Ultimate that does not allow everyone else to connect.

RudyBoe
March 29th, 2020, 09:13
If a player has Ultimate that does not allow everyone else to connect.

It does not? Then why get ultimate?

damned
March 29th, 2020, 09:17

Its intended for GMs.
If a GM has Ultimate anyone else can connect.

This works

GM Ultimate
Player Demo
Player Demo
Player Demo
Player Demo

This works

GM Ultimate
Player Standard
Player Standard
Player Demo
Player Demo

This works

GM Ultimate
Player Ultimate
Player Standard
Player Demo
Player Demo

This works

GM Standard
Player Standard
Player Standard
Player Standard
Player Standard

This works

GM Standard
Player Ultimate
Player Ultimate
Player Standard
Player Standard

This doesnt work

GM Demo
Player Ultimate
Player Demo
Player Demo
Player Demo

This doesnt work

GM Standard
Player Ultimate
Player Demo
Player Demo
Player Demo

Trenloe
March 29th, 2020, 09:48
Damned was referring to a player, not the GM, having ultimate.

If a player has ultimate, as far as player functionality goes, it's basically a standard license - they can connect to GMs with Ultimate or Standard licenses.

RudyBoe
March 29th, 2020, 13:22
Damned was referring to a player, not the GM, having ultimate.

Oops misread that. Thanks guys, that clears it up.

GavinRuneblade
March 29th, 2020, 19:26
Hi Guys,

I got FG during the sale a week ago and we started playing with some friends. Now more people want in, and I am reading up on this, and I wonder, are these three statements still valid today, With FG + SW Deluxe over steam?

1. The players only need to buy a license and the books if they want to create / update their characters without connecting to the DM's computer between sessions
2. Only one person, needs the Ultimate license. If one person has the Ultimate license, then everyone else can have the Free edition of the game.
3. If the DM gets the total package, then the DM can allow connected players to have access to those materials for building characters and the like. Do note, that the players will only have access to those materials while they are logged into the DM's host server while a game is being hosted. If players want offline access to those materials, they will each need their own.

Thanks in advance for your clarification!

Rudy

I didn't see anyone else answer 1 and 3 for you, 1. maybe, 3. yes.

For #1 it is possible to create a character yourself using your hardback books and manually coding whatever you need then import it to your game with your DM. Similarly you can have the DM export your character and you update it using manually created stuff based on your hardback books. This is a lot more work, but you can do it. Most people who are new won't want to and would need help. The fantasy grounds college will happily help.
https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

I have a couple of players who are learning how to create effects, items, spells, etc in fantasy grounds and they can do a lot without my modules. Most players don't want to. Drag and drop is just so much more convenient that they are happy to wait until I can log in. Though I do sometimes leave the campaign up and running while I'm at work so they can access it.