PDA

View Full Version : GMs, need your thoughts on a new LFG idea

Mad Nomad
April 17th, 2016, 19:13
I am planning to start 1 or 2 5E campaigns in the near future. However, I have a different approach I'd like to take than normal. My thought is, rather than proposing what we'd play, when we'd play, and how we'd play up front, I'd take stock of what players are out there and what they want first. So I've created a survey to capture peoples availability, play style, preference etc.

Don't waste time actually filling this out, I'm dumping any data before I post for real.
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2718121/FG-Campaign-Recruitment

The intention is for it to do 4 things.

1. Help me take stock of the available players, their preferences and availability, and design a game that fits them (within my own area of comfort of course)

2. Help me recruit those players who I feel will be a best fit for my game. (I think this is a better approach than normal because if you tell people what you are looking for up front they will claim to be it even if they are not. Or they may settle for a play stlye that is not their ideal because they just want to play. With this approach they don't really know what I want so they will be honest)

3. The third thing it could potentially do is help players find other players and GMs that they fit well with, even if they don't fit into my game. If 5 people have similar times and preferences that don't fit mine, but do fit some other GMs, I could put them all in touch. Its sort of like an online dating approach to finding a game LOL.

4. Give us a glimpse into what the preferred play styles for Fantasy grounds players really are. Aren't you a bit curious?

So I am wondering what your thoughts, reactions, or feedback on this idea and the survey are.

What questions would you ask or change to see if people were the right fit for you game?
Would you want to have a survey like this, or the data from the survey, (if survey participants give permission) for recruiting for your campaign?

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2718121/FG-Campaign-Recruitment

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2016, 21:56
Your biggest hurdle might be getting anyone to fill in the form; but it sounds like a fresh approach worthy of some success.

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2016, 22:13
Form is kind of long, but it would be nice if you could get a sizable number of responses. Such an approach could easily grow into a site all its own for matching gamers to all types of on line play. Good luck with it,in whatever form you go.

Mad Nomad
April 17th, 2016, 22:34
Thank you both for the feedback. I think I will work on shortening it further.

Mask_of_winter
April 18th, 2016, 02:16
I had thought about doing something like that before but decided against it because of the data analysis required. I opted for another way that has worked for me.
Good luck to you!

Skellan
April 18th, 2016, 02:29
This is a good idea. I think something similar was tried with a spreadsheet for pfs, but keeping the data up to date was a challenge. I hope your idea works out though, it would be a really helpful resource

chillman0122
May 11th, 2016, 16:38
The whole sheet is a lot to swallow at once, it might be easier for people to take if there were only a couple of questions visible on each page? If you broke it up like that it wouldn't feel so long, maybe.

Hector Trelane
May 11th, 2016, 20:42
While you're at it, you might do well to quiz for the player preferences (derived from Robin D. Laws' writings) listed here: https://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2008/01/23/robins-laws-revisited-part-2-player-types-and-traits/

rob2e
May 12th, 2016, 02:46
When will this be ready?

Mad Nomad
May 12th, 2016, 03:14
I finished it and posted it in the LFG forum a few weeks back. Ended up with about 60 people filling it out. One of the questions in the survey was if they were a GM or not and if they wanted access to the people who completed it and gave me permission to share.
If you are a GM and want the results, or if you would like a copy of the survey template for your own use, just send me a private message.