PDA

View Full Version : Odd player issues in my campaign I'm running

Seananigans
April 17th, 2016, 17:23
I'm just going to poll the community here and see if anyone has experienced any of this weird stuff that some of my players who connect to my campaign (intermittently) experience:

-One guy regularly cannot apply ADV or DIS (or I think the +/- 2/5 buttons either) via the buttons in the bottom left, and have it work. I have to make the rolls for him.
-Last campaign, someone had things targeted properly, but when he'd make attacks/rolls at those targets, the results wouldn't be targeted, they'd just roll against nothing. Obviously you can drag the result of the roll onto the target, but still, wtf?
-Other random inconsistencies where their rolls won't operate properly, but I can make the correct rolls for them with the correct processes

What's going on here? Is this something that might be solvable by a cache dump, or requires a re-install? Or is this just something we'll have to deal with in FG (it's a feature!).

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2016, 17:38
None of these things are features; they certainly shouldn't be happening.

Could it be down to poor connections; since you describe it as intermittent?

Also check that you don't have huge folders of images and tokens open in your campaign.

Andraax
April 17th, 2016, 18:26
I don't know about the ADV and DIS buttons, but the I bet the targeting problem is due to the player having accidentally turned off "apply rolls to targets" by clicking on the targeting reticle in the upper left corner of the modifiers box. My players do this occasionally.

Griogre
April 17th, 2016, 19:12
Yeah, if I had to say one feature most likely to mess up new 5E players its the "apply rolls to targets" toggle.

Seananigans
April 18th, 2016, 23:17
None of these things are features; they certainly shouldn't be happening.

Could it be down to poor connections; since you describe it as intermittent?

Also check that you don't have huge folders of images and tokens open in your campaign.

Unlikely on the internet connection issues (his issue isn't intermittent, and he's got the same net as me, 3 miles away), and no @ the images/tokens thing.

The answer about the targeting makes complete sense though. That guy just started having that issue last session, the ADV/DIS one has been constant for months. He can make all rolls just fine, he just can't apply ADV/DIS to them via the buttons. I guess I'll try having him re-install.

Thanks for the help folks!

demoniccrono
April 24th, 2016, 18:42
I'm having the same issue with the apply rolls to targets. I have a dragonborn who uses his breath attack he selects all the affected targets and then the roll rolls against nothing. We have had to roll individually for all enemies.

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 18:49
Hi demoniccrono welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

There's no reason that I can think of that only a breath weapon attack isn't targeting properly all else being equal.

So I assume that all the other attacks that he does land correctly? Also how are you doing the attack drag/drop, via the CT or Map or CTRL target and roll from the character sheet? Are all the players correctly on the Combat Tracker and did they all get onto the map via the Combat Tracker and did all the NPCs get onto the Combat Tracker correctly? How have you set up the breath weapon on the PCs sheet?

demoniccrono
April 24th, 2016, 18:56
I might just be missing something here, but I haven't been able to get the CTRL target to work at all. Right now Whenever we roll we drag and drop the dice onto the person in the combat tracker. The breath weapon is a 15 ft cone. On the map they put the cone down it highlighted who they were attacking then held down CTRL and selected all in the cone then clicked the saving throw button for the attack. All we get is a general announcement saying the dex dc is 10. I've looked for the apply rolls to targets button on here i can't seem to find it.

ffujita
April 24th, 2016, 18:58
There is a little circle in the upper left corner of the square to the left of set of six buttons, that toggles between "use current target for rolls" and "do not use current target for rolls" make sure that little circle is correctly toggled.

What's the difference between when the square to the left says "modifier" and when it says "adjust?"

demoniccrono
April 24th, 2016, 19:05
I was able to find that button and test it. I still get the same message no matter how it's toggled. So I don't believe that's the problem.

Andraax
April 24th, 2016, 19:07
The "Apply Rolls to Targets" button is the targeting reticle in the upper left corner of the modifiers box. Hover the mouse over it and it will tell you if it's turned on or not (it's also grayed out a bit if it's off).

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 19:14
See the screen shot attached. Make sure that when you mouse over it it says 'Use current target for rolls'. If it doesn't then click it to put it 'on'.

For targeting to work correctly the PCs and NPCs must be placed correctly on the Combat Tracker and then onto the battlemap. The PCs must be dragged onto the CT from either the PCs dialog (big PCs button top right) or by dragging their portraits from the top left of the screen. NPCs can either be dragged from the NPCs dialog or placed on the Combat tracker via the 'Add encounter to Combat Tracker' via an encounter. Once on the Combat tracker PCs must then be dragged from there onto the battlemap. NPCs are usually pre placed on the battlemap via the 'Add encounter' button in the encounter but if they weren't then they, too, must be dragged from the CT onto the battlemap.

Provided everything has been set up properly then when the PCs turn comes around they can hold down CTRL and left click on the NPC either on the map or on the Combat Tracker. The DM can do the same but he must click on the PCs icon at the left hand side of the Combat tracker. PC or GM can now make any attacks by double clicking on the attack or single click on a spell etc Effects can also be dropped on targets by clicking on them.

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 19:17
What's the difference between when the square to the left says "modifier" and when it says "adjust?"

None as far as I can see. It says 'modifier' if you click on a modifier you have created, otherwise if you click in it and type a number it says adjust. Whatever they both do the same thing which is to add or subtract from the next roll.

demoniccrono
April 24th, 2016, 19:23
Thank you very much Zaccaeus for all the help. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before hand, but after following your instructions its working.

demoniccrono
April 24th, 2016, 19:37
I found the problem. In the Out of the Abyss D&D book. The Acolyte NPCS are not targetable. I was running just a simple encounter so my players could get a feel for how Fantasy Grounds works. I threw in the Acolytes as a tester and that's where my problem was. Using other NPCS I can target them and attack all them like I should. So I think there is a bug with the Acolytes from the Out of the Abyss book.

ffujita
April 24th, 2016, 19:42
I'm glad that your problem is limited. However, I tried to reproduce your mistake with the Acolyte from OoA, and was unable to do so.

demoniccrono
April 24th, 2016, 19:52
Thanks for the info I will try uninstalling that module and reinstalling it to see if that fixes the problem.

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 22:16
Indeed, I can't reproduce this either. Let us know if it is still a problem and if so can you outline what you did leading up to the error. I can't think of any reason why one particular type of NPC can't be targeted.

damned
April 25th, 2016, 02:14
If its only happening to specific NPCs its probably because these were not dragged to CT and then to Map...