PDA

View Full Version : Combat Timer - Extension (v.0.0.1)

mortgarra
April 17th, 2016, 16:43
All,

I've created a Combat Timer integrated into the Combat Tracker window. It's nothing fancy, just a clock that ticks while someone's turn is running. We used it in our game last night and it kept our players moving (rather than deliberating for 5 minutes on what they should do next).

The clock automatically resets when the turn is advanced. The game host can also manually reset the timer by double clicking on the timer clock itself.
The game host can start and pauses with the "Play" button on the left. If configured as a count-down timer, when the timer hits zero it will stop as well. Advancing the turn or manually resetting the timer will start it ticking again.
The game host can configure the timer as either a Count-Up or Count-Down timer type. Count-Down timers take an optional starting value (in seconds).
Players can see the timer as it ticks, but not start/stop/reset it.

This extension has only been tested for PFRPG & 3.5 (and now 5E), however it should work on all CoreRPG rulests.

CAVEAT: This extension *DOES NOT TICK* unless a client is connected. A warning message will be displayed if you try to start the timer with no connected clients, and this is why. To see the extension in action, have a friend connect in with this extension enabled (or start two Fantasy Grounds instances and connect to 127.0.0.1). Otherwise it's an underwhelming experience.

Version 1.0.0

Added explicit handling for 5E window placement so it doesn't overlap the Menu button

Version 1.0.1

An elapsing count-down timer now rings the bell (thanks Nickademus)
Extension verified to work for Fantasy Grounds 3.3.1 (PFRPG, 5E and Fate Core)

Version 1.0.2

Added a Setting option controlling whether an elapsing count-down timer rings the bell
Opening the settings window no longer resets the timer
Changed turn notification hook such that directly moving the turn order flag will also reset the timer
Clients correctly receive timer enabled/disabled updates when the timer is toggled, but the timer is not otherwise running because the timer has reached zero

Version 1.0.3

Added custom turn tracker placement for AD&D Core

damned
April 18th, 2016, 01:19
Have yet to try this mortgarra but well done!

Skellan
April 18th, 2016, 03:46
That's cool. It seems to work for 5E, although it gives the following error when I shut down FG

Script Error: [string "scripts/combattimer.lua"]:265: attempt to index global 'Debug' (a userdata value)

however, this is a really nifty extension, nice work

jab112
April 19th, 2016, 01:37
Can you move it over so it not covering the menu butten

damned
April 19th, 2016, 02:04
Hey jab112 and welcome.
You might notice that it doesnt cover the Menu button in the screen shot.
Unfortunately different rulesets have some elements in different locations and the CT Menu button is one of them.
What ruleset are you using?

jab112
April 19th, 2016, 03:42
The 5e ruleset

mortgarra
April 19th, 2016, 04:56
The 5e ruleset

I'll take a look at 5e sometime this week.

jshauber
April 19th, 2016, 13:57
Used this a player in our Sunday evening game and liked it a lot, we are not a slow group, but it was cool to see it in action. Will be getting it for my 5E group.

Well Done.

mortgarra
April 22nd, 2016, 04:16
Fixed. Updated extension is in the attachments and shouldn't overlap with the 5E menu button.

Ken L
April 22nd, 2016, 07:14
Very cool!

jab112
April 23rd, 2016, 00:05
Thank you for the fix.

Koreapsu
April 25th, 2016, 04:51
I have wanted something like this for so long. Any chance you could add a countdown timer to it? I love putting groups under time pressure.

damned
April 25th, 2016, 04:55
It has both a Countdown and a Countup option.

mortgarra
April 25th, 2016, 05:26
What damned said.

I have anticipated your every need, and disregarded those which I deemed irrelevant (but the countdown is still there).

damned
April 25th, 2016, 06:43
I know there isnt really any sound support in FG but... there is the poke button when you want to get a players attention... i wonder if you could grab that ding and ring it twice when the countdown timer hits zero...?

Koreapsu
April 25th, 2016, 06:57
What damned said.

I have anticipated your every need, and disregarded those which I deemed irrelevant (but the countdown is still there).

Bloody brilliant.

Well done, what a great solution.

kuthulu
April 27th, 2016, 17:56
Great idea for an extension. I'll be giving this a try tonight with my players.

Minty23185Fresh
April 27th, 2016, 18:40
I am trying to come up to speed on implementing extensions. I have worked through the stickied tutorials and have dissected a couple other extensions. This extension is my current dissection. An amazing piece of work, mortgarra. Thank you so much. As I try different things with the code to see outcomes, I'd thought about trying to hack in a flashing red background after the timer counts down to say 5 seconds.

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2016, 20:33
I've added this to the 5e extensions list sticky in the 5e forum. If you talk nicely to Trenloe he'll maybe put it in one of his stickies too :)

mortgarra
April 29th, 2016, 04:27
I am trying to come up to speed on implementing extensions. I have worked through the stickied tutorials and have dissected a couple other extensions. This extension is my current dissection. An amazing piece of work, mortgarra. Thank you so much. As I try different things with the code to see outcomes, I'd thought about trying to hack in a flashing red background after the timer counts down to say 5 seconds.

Glad you're enjoying the code. I would have added more comments if I'd thought someone was going to be auditing it. ;) Hopefully you find it useful.

I know there isnt really any sound support in FG but... there is the poke button when you want to get a players attention... i wonder if you could grab that ding and ring it twice when the countdown timer hits zero...?

I had considered something similar, but decided to roll out the current version without a lot of bells and whistles. I'll add it to the feature list, but I'm already in the musing stages of my next extension (which I want to have done before our group's next game in 2 weeks), so it may take a backburner to that project. This extension took me about 30 hours of flailing to cobble it all together, though hopefully the next one will go faster now that I understand more of how FG works under the hood.

damned
April 29th, 2016, 12:15
This extension took me about 30 hours of flailing to cobble it all together, though hopefully the next one will go faster now that I understand more of how FG works under the hood.

.... :)
I cant tell you how to code quicker but I can suggest that you dont tell your wife that the "project" is for a game!

Nickademus
May 1st, 2016, 19:18

One of the two system sounds that FG uses can be called with the API. I think it's the bell and the error sound is application-only, but that could be backwards.

EDIT: Yep. User.ringBell() (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/User.xcp#ringBell)

Ardem
July 4th, 2016, 00:46
Very Cool extension, I love seeing all the new CoreRPG extension that are being made and this is defiantly one outside the box, of standard extension. Wel done Sir.

Atrill
November 4th, 2016, 13:14
Please, update it for 3.2.0 and Savage Worlds!

mortgarra
November 8th, 2016, 04:47
Please, update it for 3.2.0 and Savage Worlds!

Yep, I'll take a look at 3.2.0 & Savage Worlds

David32780
July 30th, 2017, 20:21
Thank you so much for the great extension Mortgarra!

Nickademus
July 30th, 2017, 20:25
Does this still work? Time to look under the hood I think.

mortgarra
July 30th, 2017, 20:31
Does this still work? Time to look under the hood I think.

I just tested the extension on Pathfinder, 5E & Fate Core in version 3.3.1 and everything appeared to work. Are you having problems?

celestian
July 30th, 2017, 22:07
Just tried this out and worked for me. I did have to crack open the file and tweak an alignment issue for host side (was a bit to far left on a 5e style CT) but otherwise it's perfect.

Thanks, I'll give it a try in my games.

mortgarra
July 30th, 2017, 22:44
Just tried this out and worked for me. I did have to crack open the file and tweak an alignment issue for host side (was a bit to far left on a 5e style CT) but otherwise it's perfect.

Thanks, I'll give it a try in my games.

I'm in a coding mood. I'm making a few small tweaks and adding an option to control the audible ping. Expect a 1.0.2 release sometime shortly.

celestian
July 30th, 2017, 23:04
I'm in a coding mood. I'm making a few small tweaks and adding an option to control the audible ping. Expect a 1.0.2 release sometime shortly.

If you're looking for the bit I mentioned this is what I tweaked (bolded).

<windowclass name="combattracker_host" modes="host" merge="join">
<sheetdata>
<windowtitlebar name="title">
<resource>ct_window_title</resource>
</windowtitlebar>
<anchor_title_ctbox name="contentanchor" />
<subwindow name="combat_timer">
<script>
function onInit()
if User.getRulesetName() == "5E" then
window.combat_timer.setAnchor("left", "contentanchor", "left","absolute",170);
end
Debug.console(window.getDatabaseNode());
end

function onDoubleClick(x,y)
CombatTimer.resetTimer();
end
</script>
<anchored width="100" height="25">
<bottom offset="-20" />
<left parent="contentanchor" offset="160" />
</anchored>
<class>ct_combat_timer_host</class>
<activate />
</subwindow>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

mortgarra
July 31st, 2017, 04:18
If you're looking for the bit I mentioned this is what I tweaked (bolded).

<windowclass name="combattracker_host" modes="host" merge="join">
<sheetdata>
<windowtitlebar name="title">
<resource>ct_window_title</resource>
</windowtitlebar>
<anchor_title_ctbox name="contentanchor" />
<subwindow name="combat_timer">
<script>
function onInit()
end
Debug.console(window.getDatabaseNode());
end

function onDoubleClick(x,y)
CombatTimer.resetTimer();
end
</script>
<anchored width="100" height="25">
<bottom offset="-20" />
<left parent="contentanchor" offset="160" />
</anchored>
<class>ct_combat_timer_host</class>
<activate />
</subwindow>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

This code snippet should have changed the anchor position for the 5E ruleset. I'm not sure why it didn't for you. Can you test the 1.0.2 that I just uploaded and let me know if you still have the problem?

function onInit()
end
end

celestian
July 31st, 2017, 04:49
This code snippet should have changed the anchor position for the 5E ruleset. I'm not sure why it didn't for you. Can you test the 1.0.2 that I just uploaded and let me know if you still have the problem?

function onInit()
end
end

I actually did not tell the entire truth, it was with my ruleset actually. Based on 5e but called something different (AD&D Core). My apologies. If you want to add a "or" in there...this will work (tested it myself).

if User.getRulesetName() == "5E" or User.getRulesetName() == "AD&amp;D Core" then

I don't expect you to do that however but if you did I'd be grateful.

mortgarra
July 31st, 2017, 05:37
Done.

celestian
July 31st, 2017, 05:42
Done.

Gentleman and a scholar. Thanks good sir.

Ken L
August 1st, 2017, 14:00
Hey mortgarra, I was curious how you implemented your timer using client server pings (Genius hacky way to get around the no timer issue, hope FG makes a timer in FGU) and then I saw this nugget up top.

-- -- Are you f*****g kidding me, Lua?
function tablesize(t)

I think I died.

Anyway, cheers!

Bidmaron
August 2nd, 2017, 04:10
While we are talking about wishes for FGU, I'd sure like to see the ability to do a modal dialog using FG instead of the windows ugly dialog (such a harsh intrusion into a delightful interface).

Andraax
August 2nd, 2017, 14:24
During our last game session, my players complained about the bell ringing when the timer countdown reached 0. Because it rang on everyone's client, they all thought it was their turn. So, I modified your extension to only ring the bell on the player's client whose turn it is. Here is that code:

local nodeEntry = CombatManager.getActiveCT();
local sClass, sRecord = DB.getValue(nodeEntry, "link", "", "");
local nodePC = DB.findNode(sRecord);
if nodePC then
local sOwner = nodePC.getOwner();
if sOwner then
User.ringBell(sOwner);
end
end

Netjera
April 21st, 2019, 08:58
Was wondering if this could be used to count down a certain number of rounds? I have an event that happens after 30 rounds, and I’m trying to find a way to track that. Also, can you run more than one timer at a time?

Andraax
April 21st, 2019, 14:29
Was wondering if this could be used to count down a certain number of rounds? I have an event that happens after 30 rounds, and I’m trying to find a way to track that. Also, can you run more than one timer at a time?

That's what the duration on effects is used for...

Melioch54
April 29th, 2019, 15:08
Hi ! Any chances it will work with Savage Worlds ?

Grommit57
January 29th, 2020, 18:34
Deleted "Combat Tracker" graphic at the top of the CT for use with 2nd ed. so that it no longer covers the tabs at the top of the window. tested with 2e and 5e.
I DID NOT do this. I know just enough xml to be dangerous. I do however know someone qualified to modify it for me.

Xanderghul
March 23rd, 2020, 13:12
it doesn't seem to work on FGU but I have no error.

damned
March 23rd, 2020, 13:44
it doesn't seem to work on FGU but I have no error.

It was made using a hack that managed to access some timers inbuilt into the FGC engine. This is a new engine so its very unlikely to work.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 23rd, 2020, 14:19
I used this extension a lot, mainly in adventures where there were slow players to make decisions, but one thing that would be interesting to exist in the calendar would be a kind of "play" at the time.
Example: I define that the year is 1920, that the date is July 2nd and that it is 18:00 (6:00 PM) when I start the campaign, I play and then time starts to run, when they ask for the time or day just click on the balloons that appear, of course buttons would need to be added to increase the hour, day, minutes for when it would accelerate time and of course this would be something that I imagine is possible only at FGU, and in a way link this to the effects of time, mainly for the purpose of days or hours.
Example: A magician used Arcane Armor, ie 8 hours, if those 8 hours pass, or even 1 day the effect expires automatically..but it is worth making it clear that this is a daydream, a very cool daydream, but still a daydream .

SirMotte
May 7th, 2020, 02:55
Edit: Unfortunately since the latest update the extension does produce errors even with the changes in place. Use at your own risk!

The extension still works in FGU with the 5E Ruleset (keep in mind, that it only ticks if another player is connected).
I attached a version that removes the stencil font and stops spewing out errors. The stencil font was not formatted as ttf and FGU only allows ttf fonts.

I removed the following entry from the graphics.xml.

<font name="stencil" file="" >
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/stencil.fgf" />
</font>

In case someone wants to use another font, simply paste it back in and change the "fgffile name=" to "ttf file=" and "stencil.fgf" into the fonts name eg. Roboto.ttf.

It should look like this then:

<font name="Timer">
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/Roboto-Regular.ttf" name="Roboto" size="12" />
</font>

Then create a folder named fonts inside the graphics folder (within the extension) and put the corresponding font ttf file in.

Cheers

Weissrolf
May 7th, 2020, 08:34
Version 1.03 does not show any number/text in Classic.

I also noticed that the settings window causes some window (re)drawing quirks when you move it or close it (both old and new version of the extension).

Fonzzie
May 16th, 2020, 20:50
I tried using the v1.0.3 file that @SirMotte included in the above post in a cloud game and am getting a font related error... any thoughts?

Thank you!

Andraax
May 16th, 2020, 21:09
I tried using it in a cloud game and getting a font related error... any thoughts?

Did you see the post two up from your post?

Fonzzie
May 16th, 2020, 22:06
Did you see the post two up from your post?

Yes, sorry! I downloaded the .ext file with updates that @SirMotte had included, and was providing feedback. I'll edit the post to make that more clear.

SirMotte
May 16th, 2020, 22:15
Yes, sorry! I downloaded the .ext file with updates that @SirMotte had included, and was providing feedback. I'll edit the post to make that more clear.

The most recent FG Update messed around with fonts again. Older extensions such as this one don't seem to like this. As far as I can tell, fonts get replaced by FG with the Free-Font set and functionality is not hampered. But like everything, better not use the extension anymore, just to be sure. Wouldn't want to corrupt a campaign in the long run.

Cheers.

Girwan
May 17th, 2020, 16:07
Nice work :)

Zedes
June 22nd, 2020, 22:26
I was thinking about giving this extension a try (FGU) but SirMotte's message above has me worried. Is there a chance this could corrupt my campaign if I try to use it?

MSW
September 13th, 2020, 14:16

Hi, I found a small issue with the Legendary Assistang extension.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61516-5e-Legendary-Assistant-extension

Is it difficult to move one of them a little bit to the side?

Or is it possible to remove the timer from the combat tracker? As a standalone window or something similar..
Thank you
I also wrote to the autor of the other extension.

SmackDaddy
September 14th, 2020, 18:06

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61516-5e-Legendary-Assistant-extension

Or is it possible to remove the timer from the combat tracker? As a standalone window or something similar..
Thank you

This would definitely be nice to have (a "standalone" window of sorts) somewhere, but highly doubt it's do-able as that would be something UI related and probably has the potential to mess a lot of other things up....

And I second Zedes question above - no one has answered it since June....would a DM's campaign be under the possibility of corruption using this extension?

MSW
September 14th, 2020, 18:12
I used this extension weekley since February and doesn't notice any corruption. But maybe I just doesn't notice it...

Foxdeceir
September 23rd, 2020, 10:47
Doesn't seem compatible with current version of unity

Zygmunt Molotch
September 30th, 2020, 03:18
Hi,

I'm lazy... anyway enough about me, I just tracked down the first errors spewing out to console

removing the -- from lines 52, 53, and 54 in window.xml, of the original, 1.0.3 makes it compatible with current release of Unity (albeit it still grumbles about missing fonts, but that's nothing to worry about)

here's the file 1.0.4 with those changes made for people even lazier... :D

if I've done something inappropriate or it still doesn't work... It wasnt me! I deny everything.

Naurthoron
September 30th, 2020, 10:01
Please use only 2 decimals for versioning as the third decimal is not handled by FGU.

Zygmunt Molotch
September 30th, 2020, 10:43
Please use only 2 decimals for versioning as the third decimal is not handled by FGU.

I'm sorry, what do you mean, in what way?

the file name and the extension.xml are both read and handled by FGU... with no issue.. regardless of characters

same for... 10 or so other extensions too... :D There is nothing special about 3 digits

Naurthoron
September 30th, 2020, 10:51
x.y is handled fully, x.y.z only x.y is handled not z.
A new extension allows to manage extensions updates and is limited with x.y format by FGU.

bmos
September 30th, 2020, 11:57
x.y is handled fully, x.y.z only x.y is handled not z.
A new extension allows to manage extensions updates and is limited with x.y format by FGU.
Sorry if I'm misunderstand, but are you saying there is an update manager to help people keep their extensions up to date?
All of my extensions use a three-part version number (which is industry standard https://semver.org/ and is even what SmiteWorks uses) and I've never encountered a problem.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2020, 12:00
[QUOTE=bmos;546051]Sorry if I'm misunderstand, but are you saying there is an update manager to help people keep their extensions up to date?/QUOTE]
It's a third party, unofficial, extension. Details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61588-Mad-Nomad-s-3rd-Party-Updater-Keep-all-your-Extensions-and-Mods-up-to-date

Naurthoron
September 30th, 2020, 12:13
Sorry if I'm misunderstand, but are you saying there is an update manager to help people keep their extensions up to date?
All of my extensions use a three-part version number (which is industry standard https://semver.org/ and is even what SmiteWorks uses) and I've never encountered a problem.

I understand but there is a limitation in FGU that goes against this standard unfortunately.
The extension has been indicated by Trenloe, and the problem lies withing FG handling of versioning, not within the extension.
It would be therefore nice to play along with the way FG handles versioning and not the standard.

wrandalljr4
October 14th, 2020, 21:04
Hello

Will this be updated to work in FGU?

Warren

Zygmunt Molotch
October 15th, 2020, 05:22
Hello

Will this be updated to work in FGU?

Warren

The version I posted on pg 6 works with Unity, I've been using for a few weeks

wrandalljr4
October 15th, 2020, 07:34
Thank you so very much :-)

MSW
November 29th, 2020, 15:13

Thank you

Hi, The Legendary Assistant extension has moved the "Search" Button to the rigtht. Everything workes now fine. Thanks

MrDDT
November 30th, 2020, 00:14
The version I posted on pg 6 works with Unity, I've been using for a few weeks

Hi,

I'm lazy... anyway enough about me, I just tracked down the first errors spewing out to console

removing the -- from lines 52, 53, and 54 in window.xml, of the original, 1.0.3 makes it compatible with current release of Unity (albeit it still grumbles about missing fonts, but that's nothing to worry about)

here's the file 1.0.4 with those changes made for people even lazier... :D

if I've done something inappropriate or it still doesn't work... It wasnt me! I deny everything.

Thank you for fixing this to work with FGU.

You or anyone here know a way to get it to stop "grumbling" about the missing font?

I can confirm it works with FGU. Thanks so much.

Zygmunt Molotch
November 30th, 2020, 05:06

You or anyone here know a way to get it to stop "grumbling" about the missing font?

yeah, I can do that, when I get some time from work today, just have to point it at something else :D

Zygmunt Molotch
December 2nd, 2020, 03:28

here's a personal repo where you can download the ext from, with the combat timer updated to FGU, and replaced the fgf fonts with free ttf open license fonts so that it doesn't spew out errors, and rearranged some code and put inside other files :)

let me know how it goes, download from here

https://github.com/Morturg/FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer/releases

if it ever needs handing over, or the original dude comes back to support it, I'll happily pass over the repo

MrDDT
December 2nd, 2020, 07:54
Thanks buddy.

Milmoor
December 21st, 2020, 15:51
here's a personal repo where you can download the ext from, with the combat timer updated to FGU, and replaced the fgf fonts with free ttf open license fonts so that it doesn't spew out errors, and rearranged some code and put inside other files :)

let me know how it goes, download from here

if it ever needs handing over, or the original dude comes back to support it, I'll happily pass over the repo

It is not recognised in 5E. When I change the ruleset from 3.5E to 5E, it is available to activate. The timer windows appears, but starting/stopping it does not seem to do anything. I did connect from a client to the server, and had a character opened whose turn it is on the Combat tracker. What am I missing? It used to support 5E.

Milmoor
December 24th, 2020, 18:06
I'll try worth an older version. Anyone using this with 5e?

MrDDT
December 24th, 2020, 20:32
I edited it like they said and it works for me in FGU 5E

Zygmunt Molotch
December 25th, 2020, 03:33
yep, that version I uploaded to github is for 3.5 and PF, not 5E (as per the name) :)

it probably could work with 5E, I'd suggest adding 5E into the <ruleset> in extension.xml, but I have no idea what 5E is like, or if there's any interactions elsewhere :) (because I don't play 5E)

MrDDT
December 25th, 2020, 03:41
yep, that version I uploaded to github is for 3.5 and PF, not 5E (as per the name) :)

it probably could work with 5E, I'd suggest adding 5E into the <ruleset> in extension.xml, but I have no idea what 5E is like, or if there's any interactions elsewhere :) (because I don't play 5E)

Yep that's all I did was just put the 5E in there. Works great. No errors.

Zygmunt Molotch
December 25th, 2020, 06:22
Yep that's all I did was just put the 5E in there. Works great. No errors.

oh, great, that saves me bothering to test! (I assumed it would because all I did was change the font file, and the previous version did work... ;-) )

I'll upload another version to that github then with that line in :)

Milmoor
December 25th, 2020, 07:23
It does not work with FGC 5E.I will try with the original extension. Will switch to FGU in a few months. Good to hear that works.

Edit:
Yep, version 1.03 works just fine for FGC.

MrDDT
December 29th, 2020, 06:18
oh, great, that saves me bothering to test! (I assumed it would because all I did was change the font file, and the previous version did work... ;-) )

I'll upload another version to that github then with that line in :)

Not sure what started to happen but I started getting an error. So I went back to 1.0.4 version and just removed the font code completely and it works 100% and no error.

webdove
February 22nd, 2021, 01:09
Hi, I had no luck with version 1.0.3 from page one using FGU 5E. The console reported that the module loaded. I got a console msg about the "-" after a "-- comment on line 52 which I assumed was innocuous. However, I see no clock in the CT even with a client connected. Is there a setting I must change to see it?

webdove
February 22nd, 2021, 01:31
Here are my errors.

Zygmunt Molotch
February 23rd, 2021, 04:10
Not sure what started to happen but I started getting an error. So I went back to 1.0.4 version and just removed the font code completely and it works 100% and no error.

that's fantastic, I have also just stripped the font lines (actually commented out) out and it works now, https://github.com/Morturg/FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer/releases/tag/v1.0.1

seems it's using system default fonts, and seems to chundle along fine, will remove the remnants in the ext soon

@webdove, please give the ext found at this github link a go, and see if it works

webdove
February 23rd, 2021, 05:14
Roger that.

webdove
February 23rd, 2021, 22:26
Works great now. I made a "standard size" version.
Misspost. I made a standard size version of the height label extension :)

SmackDaddy
February 24th, 2021, 20:23
that's fantastic, I have also just stripped the font lines (actually commented out) out and it works now, https://github.com/Morturg/FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer/releases/tag/v1.0.1

seems it's using system default fonts, and seems to chundle along fine, will remove the remnants in the ext soon

@webdove, please give the ext found at this github link a go, and see if it works

Your github version is only for the PF ruleset, correct?

Zygmunt Molotch
February 25th, 2021, 04:55
Your github version is only for the PF ruleset, correct?

<ruleset>
<name>3.5E</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>5E</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>PFRPG</name>
</ruleset>

it should work with those 3, give it a whirl, let's see what breaks, and then let's fix it!

CD0369
February 25th, 2021, 17:21
Hi All,
I was plugging around and seen this thread. Got curious and took a look. Forgive me if I missed the answer to this inquiry. This extension appears to be combat tracker based. I was wondering if there was the ability to run a timer outside of the combat tracker? What I am looking at is having a timer that is displayed to all clients and the DM/GM during out of combat scenarios. Such as the PCs have a puzzle to collectively solve within 10 minutes. Start the timer. It pops up on the host side and all clients. Let the PCs work the problem or puzzle then either timer runs to zero and they go with what they have or the PCs come up with a solution and the DM/GM stops the timer.
Had the idea after watching a video by Matt Mercer on YouTube about DM tips. He has a sand timer that he occasionally uses on his PCs when he wants to give them the crunch while solving a problem or puzzle. I would consider myself a total newb at coding anything and would probably fail to bring my thought to fruition. Anywho, thoughts?

Winged1
March 14th, 2021, 01:40
I am guessing we don't have a version that works with Pathfinder 2E yet?

toastsniffer187
March 16th, 2021, 23:47
i guess not just tried it and got a .........well not a timer lol. was hoping it worked for pf2 since it 3.5 and pfrpg.

MarcusMapal
May 11th, 2021, 03:35
Isn't any chance we could get an update for this exe, when I try to open this in FGU on 5e I get the following error and no timer.
[ERROR] Error loading extension XML file. [Timer-1.0.3 (1)] [xml/window.xml]: An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 52, position 6.

bmos
May 11th, 2021, 03:41
Isn't any chance we could get an update for this exe, when I try to open this in FGU on 5e I get the following error and no timer.
[ERROR] Error loading extension XML file. [Timer-1.0.3 (1)] [xml/window.xml]: An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 52, position 6.

Have you tried the version Zygmunt Molotch updated for FGU?

SirMotte
May 11th, 2021, 10:47
Have you tried the version Zygmunt Molotch updated for FGU?

Edit: MY FAULT ENTIRELY!. Sorry!

This version also generates errors as of late. Once a player is connected, every tick of the counter causes an error message for host and client. I will provide the message once I'm home.

Zygmunt Molotch
May 12th, 2021, 03:08
This version also generates errors as of late. Once a player is connected, every tick of the counter causes an error message for host and client. I will provide the message once I'm home.

that should not happen, can you post the errors? :)

while it's working fine on my side and for my players, I'll see if I can understand why that's happening

(has that player _not_ updated his FG?)

SirMotte
May 12th, 2021, 21:14
that should not happen, can you post the errors? :)

while it's working fine on my side and for my players, I'll see if I can understand why that's happening

(has that player _not_ updated his FG?)

EDIT:
Solved, there was a merge="join" statement missing for client :). Support re-added with my theme.

OLD:

Ah sorry, totally forgot to update this:

Weirdly enough this seems to be related to my theme:

The only thing that it touches is this part:

Sorry for the false alarm!
I'm on TEST btw.

Any advice how to resolve this? Didn't happen before.

toastsniffer187
May 29th, 2021, 23:56
anyway to modify this for pf2e?

Zygmunt Molotch
July 29th, 2021, 05:38
I just received permission from Mortgarra to upload this and maintain it, to the best that I can manage on Forge, for free

I quote

First off, thanks for helping to maintain it. I've lost my free time for this project so I'm glad someone is still keeping it going!

You're more than welcome to upload it to Fantasy Grounds Forge to make it free for general use.

I'll do that today

MrDDT
July 29th, 2021, 05:48
I just received permission from Mortgarra to upload this and maintain it, to the best that I can manage on Forge, for free

I quote

I'll do that today

Thanks.

webdove
July 29th, 2021, 14:26
Thanks.

I have been using it and I think I tinkered with it. I will send you any changes I have later today If I have a chance.

Szabtom
July 29th, 2021, 14:32
I would like to use this with the Core RPG ruleset. Does the adaption involve coding (perhaps due to the combat tracker window involved?) or is it simpler than that?
edit: referring to the Timer 1.0.3 extension

Zygmunt Molotch
July 30th, 2021, 03:56
I would like to use this with the Core RPG ruleset. Does the adaption involve coding (perhaps due to the combat tracker window involved?) or is it simpler than that?
edit: referring to the Timer 1.0.3 extension

I have very little to do at work today, so I'll take a look :)

Edit 1: it works with CORE

I edited it with some changes proposed by BMOS and uploaded it to Forge, awaiting approval, I will then post the link here

webdove
July 30th, 2021, 15:05
I have been using it and I think I tinkered with it. I will send you any changes I have later today If I have a chance.

I started from FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer 2020-12-02.ext then removed the FreeUniversal-Regular font and added the 5E ruleset.

I did some debug also to see if it was contributing to a long game slowdown, but it wasn't.

toastsniffer187
July 30th, 2021, 15:07
Does any of this mean it will work with pfrpg2e?

webdove
July 30th, 2021, 15:09

Perhaps, given the way my download was labelled. I don't know though because I don't play PF.

webdove
July 30th, 2021, 15:26
I started from FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer 2020-12-02.ext then removed the FreeUniversal-Regular font and added the 5E ruleset.

I did some debug also to see if it was contributing to a long game slowdown, but it wasn't.

I just downloaded FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer 2021-02-22 from github and it matches the one I modified from FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer 2020-12-02.ext.

Zygmunt Molotch
July 31st, 2021, 05:58

Yes, the version on Forge, will work with pf2e

yes, 5E was added to versions supported a while back

Now it will work with all Core

I'm just waiting for it to be approved on Forge and it be visisble, taking 24+ hours :D

Zygmunt Molotch
July 31st, 2021, 06:03
Update:

it should be found here https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/162/view

and yes, supports, CORE, 5E, pf1e, pf2e, and anything built off CORE, I guess

next plan is to make it an optional floaty window

jaharmi
January 16th, 2022, 21:57
I'm seeing the following warning that appears to be related to the Combat Timer extension. Not sure if it's of any significant concern, but I noticed it while dealing with other extension issues.

textcontrol: Could not find font (stencil) in control (timer) in class (ct_combat_timer_host)

I'm using:

FGU: v4.1.13 ULTIMATE (2022-01-05)
MEASURE: RULESETS LOAD - 19.15784 - 5E
EXTENSION: Feature: Combat Timer \nBy Zygmunt Molotch \nBased off the Combat Timer Extension by mortgarra \n comments and bugs report here (LINK)(v-0-0-1) \nPFRPG - Combat Timer v1.0

bmos
January 17th, 2022, 02:24
I'm seeing the following warning that appears to be related to the Combat Timer extension. Not sure if it's of any significant concern, but I noticed it while dealing with other extension issues.

I'm using:I'm pretty sure I submitted some commits last year that should have fixed that, but it looks like they might never have been released in a public build.

Zygmunt Molotch
January 17th, 2022, 02:50
I'm pretty sure I submitted some commits last year that should have fixed that, but it looks like they might never have been released in a public build.

Exactly that!

I will fix this today or tomorrow :-) work depending

lostsanityreturned
May 30th, 2022, 07:46
Exactly that!

I will fix this today or tomorrow :-) work depending

Would it be possible have an option to post the user + time taken to chat on the press of the end turn button?

(this is purely for a data analysis purpose)

JazerNorth
July 19th, 2022, 17:39
It is covering the menu button in the MGT2E ruleset. Maybe move it over here instead? I haven't seen a ruleset that uses this area or allow it to be edited on where it is placed if that is possible.

MrDDT
July 19th, 2022, 19:34
It is covering the menu button in the MGT2E ruleset. Maybe move it over here instead? I haven't seen a ruleset that uses this area or allow it to be edited on where it is placed if that is possible.

Can't put it there because not everyone has that space either. Its going to depend on the size of your CT for the space you suggesting.

You can edit the ext and change where it goes though. I've never used MGT2E but yeah I can see how this would be a problem.

JazerNorth
July 19th, 2022, 19:44
Can't put it there because not everyone has that space either. Its going to depend on the size of your CT for the space you suggesting.

You can edit the ext and change where it goes though. I've never used MGT2E but yeah I can see how this would be a problem.

I was going to edit it, but it is in the vault. I'm pulling it from: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/162/view

MrDDT
July 19th, 2022, 19:47
I was going to edit it, but it is in the vault. I'm pulling it from: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/162/view

https://github.com/Morturg/FG-PFRPG-Combat-Timer/releases/tag/v1.0.1

JazerNorth
July 19th, 2022, 21:05

I put the following change in and it is in a good place.
Line 228 and 256 add the condition ' or User.getRulesetName() == "MGT2"'. It will then be suitable for MGT2 for Traveller.
I'll use my code, just let me know if you update the code in Forge so I can remove my extension from my system.
Thanks!

Zygmunt Molotch
July 20th, 2022, 04:46
I can take a look this weekend when I have some time!

if you have an edit, you can submit it via the github!

or if you dont want to just write the edits here, and I'll get to adding it :)

(ie: how far along on the x axis to move it for that ruleset/layout)

Simveosis
July 28th, 2022, 04:22
I believe I am having a problem with the sound portion of the extension. The timer works fine, but when it ends the player who's turn it is doesn't hear a sound only I do as the GM. The sound I hear is the windows error sound effect, and I don't know if I am missing a setting or something. I am using the latest version of FGU through the launcher, and using the 5e rule set.

Zygmunt Molotch
July 28th, 2022, 06:53
I believe I am having a problem with the sound portion of the extension. The timer works fine, but when it ends the player who's turn it is doesn't hear a sound only I do as the GM. The sound I hear is the windows error sound effect, and I don't know if I am missing a setting or something. I am using the latest version of FGU through the launcher, and using the 5e rule set.

hmm intriguing, will take a look!

Merecraft
August 17th, 2022, 14:31
Getting an error since the latest update with the Forge version of the extension:

[WARNING] textcontrol: Could not find font (stencil) in control (timer) in class (ct_combat_timer_host)

functionality still seems ok though.

Zygmunt Molotch
August 17th, 2022, 18:06
thanks, that should have been taken out a while back, must have messed uploading a build, will take a looksie!

alainl
July 16th, 2023, 20:49
Hi,
I just noticed this post is very old, but I've been trying to add to my Fantasy Grounds, but I get an error on load, anyone has any idea on the cause?

"[ERROR] Error loading extension XML file. [Timer-1.0.3][xml/window.xml]: and XML comment cannot contain '--' and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 52 position 6."

bmos
July 16th, 2023, 22:52
Hi,
I just noticed this post is very old, but I've been trying to add to my Fantasy Grounds, but I get an error on load, anyone has any idea on the cause?

"[ERROR] Error loading extension XML file. [Timer-1.0.3][xml/window.xml]: and XML comment cannot contain '--' and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 52 position 6."This extension hasn't been updated in a long while. There's a much better alternative on the Forge:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/665/view

rocketvaultgames
January 30th, 2024, 21:32
I'm still using Combat Timer as I love how it is situated in the CT and auto-restarts on every actor's turn.

Is there any way to have it remember the Option: "Count Up / Count Down" toggle state between sessions?